Biker friendliness to newbies

Dombo

As I mentioned in the CBT thread I got my certificate a couple of months ago, and last week I hired a little Yamaha YSR 125 for a week for fun and to get some slow-riding practice. This involved riding routes I normally cycle, figure 8s and U turns in a car park, and commuting up to London for a few days. It helped with slow speed stuff in traffic but the thing I really noticed was the friendliness of other bikers.

Sat at traffic lights on a learner bike, hi viz cycling jacket over my armour and festooned with L plates there was a roar alongside and a Kawasaki Z1000 pulls up. Bloke glances over at me, possibly the uncoolest individual on Brixton High Street, and gives me a thumbs up. 
Then yesterday, on my way to hand it back, I’m going straight over a mini roundabout, with three motorcycle coppers coming the other way, and I get a nod from two of them. 

Edited by Dombo
  • Like 5

Biking isn't just a hobby or a mode of transport, for the most part it is a way of life and a community that is worldwide not just localised to certain areas.

Welcome to the biker family :thumb:

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a funny subset of society. Plenty of nobheads but a good proportion of decent people. Had the pleasure of being housed and fed by strangers just because my mode of transport was a bike. People stop to help you if you're at the side of the road looking broken down etc. 

You will also be surprised when you get to meet other bikers at various meets and bike nights, at what they do for work. I have met doctors, lawyers, loads of healthcare professionals nurses and ambulance crews, a whole plethora of individuals you would not usually expect to ride a bike.

As Dynax said, it's a way of life for a lot of people.  A lot of us were brought up with biking from a very young age, and it's been a massive part of our lives ever since.  Most bikers will acknowledge you, offer advice, or even assistance if needed.  There are some cocks out there, that are just in love with the image, and probably themselves, but in the big scheme of things I think they're in a minority.  It doesn't matter what you ride, or what CC bike you ride, the important thing is "you ride".  Enjoy every minute and welcome to the family.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...