GSX 750 Valve Adjustment (Tappets)

Peteinnit

Go to solution Solved by RideWithStyles,

Hi all,

I'm just going through this for the first time on this bike and have got a little confused with the workshop manual instructions on the order of adjustments. I think there may be a print error in the manual and want to make sure I'm adjusting the right valves. On the head are stamped letters A-Cyl 1 & 2 Ex, B-Cyl 3 & 4 Ex, C-Cyl 1 & 2 In and D-Cyl 3 & 4 In, the manual only mentions letters C and D. I can understand the order using only C & D reference, the confusion comes with the illustration and note. I've aligned the crank in position as shown on bottom of page 1 attached and the bottom paragraph tells me to adjust valves marked with a C on Cyls 1, 2 and 3, however the drawing on the top of page one shows Cyl 1 on the left marked as D, which contradicts the note. So I think either or the note or the drawing is marked incorrectly, either the note should be Cyl 4, 2 and 3, or on the drawing Cyl 1 and 4 have been mis-labelled, 1 should be C and 4, D. The latter seems to make more sense to me. 

Does that make sense, has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone clarify?

At the moment I'm thinking I could just do a dry run as to what I think the order should be and if the gaps feel right/close, then the order is right and I can make the minor adjustments.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

PS. On another topic my neutral indicator switch has gone, when I removed it, it has 2 brass/copper points on it, but the only replacement ones I can find have 6 points on them, which I assume is for bikes with a gear indicator on the instrument panel, anyone know if these will work on mine as well? Thanks.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I may have been doing this wrong for years but.... I used to turn the engine over (by back wheel turning while in gear) until the piston was on the way down (from firing) and the valve Cams were 'off' the valve. Set these and then move onto the next cylinder.

Used to work OK (but as I said - It could be incorrect).

Have you tried a 'you tube' search?

Edited by Grumpy Old Git
I missed a bracket of!

• Solution

Errrm its correct, dont know if your taking it literal from one perspective 🤔.

in mechanical terms when fixing a lot of thing, cyl 1 its viewed on the left as you sit on the bike on top and from behind the airbox in most cases.

But when doing a valve check you will be doing it (or should be) infront of the engine (facing the manifold) as the engine is tilted forward in the frame toward the front wheel.

So cly 1 is the start or lead in the sequence which is on the right as correct in the drawing.

cly2 ext valve is at the right side bottom of the drawing but if you was sat on top of the bike as riding it would be on the top left as the manifold is facing away.

so they have spun it around for you to make it easy not to have to mirror think it over and muller rice it.

does that make sense?

Edited by RideWithStyles

• 2 weeks later...