Plugged my tyre, little bulge afterwards.

Eraldorh

On 25/11/2023 at 22:25, Eraldorh said:

How did the garage go about fixing it? i took it to a garage the last time i had a puncture and they took my sticky plug out and put their own sticky plug in and when i questioned why they did that i asked for an internal patch they said their sticky plugs were better. I ended up buying a new tyre because they didnt have any internal mushroom plugs to fix the tyre properly.

Ive watched being done from start to finish on a tubeless tyre.

1. the tyre is removed.

2. the puncture is located and any offending articles removed.

3. the hole is made a little bigger and made smooth.

4. around the hole, on the inside. the rubber is wiped with alcohol. as a precautionary clean.

5. glue. the smell reminded me of araldite, but I dont remember it being mixed. is applied around the hole.. over a fairly wide area. a few inches per side. in a circle.

6. the patch. which is circular and flat and has a mushroom-like stalk is applied to the inside - with the stalk filling the hole. The patch is rubbed with a bit of clean rag to remove any air bubbles. And allowed to set. this is fast. The circle of glue was a little larger than the patch.

7. the tyre is then put back on the bike and inflated.

I watched this a few years ago. and obviously it might not be the only method used for a 'garage' repair.

That one is generally regarded as the best because the glue chemically bonds to the rubber compound to become one rather than just the glue being a medium between the two then the rubber shroom is once again similar characteristics to the tyre again so its all works as one for the lifetime of the tyre if done correctly.