Retrofitting LED headlights

mealexme

I currently have a set of headlights that came with the bike which look similar to the ones below. They really suit the bike, but the light output is dreadful and the halogen bulbs really make the bike look outdated. 

image.thumb.png.2d523dfa6fac1a22262eb35d234b2422.png

The lens is smashed and won't pass an MOT, so I need a whole new unit anyway. I've been looking at LED units, but I can't find many dual LED headlights in chrome and the ones that I can find either have bad reviews, no reviews, or don't come in chrome.  

Does anyone have any experience with any dual LED chrome headlights?

Failing that, could anyone recommend me some brand names who do good LED lights, so I can have a browse of their catalogues?

Thanks in advance 

Seems to be quite a few options, but whether any will suit your needs is another question entirely.

I used the google machine - led motorcycle spotlights silver

and got quite a few results.

Edited by Gerontious

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Seems to be quite a few options, but whether any will suit your needs is another question entirely.

I used the google machine - led motorcycle spotlights silver

and got quite a few results.

Having never used spotlights, id presume a problem with spotlights is they don't have a high beam / low beam, which I'd need to use as headlights.

Searching on Google for led chrome (or silver) dual headlights, the only things that come up are headlight bulbs, dual headlights with halogen bulbs or single headlight units rather than dual ones. Amd Amy that I can find seem to have bad reviews.

5 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Can you replace the lense and get an led bulb?

LedPerf.co.uk have a few options.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MOT has been changed in the past few years to mean that putting an LED bulb in a headlight casing designed for halogen is now an MOT fail.

But even so, I'd rather avoid this route as there is nothing worse than an oncoming driver with LED bulbs dazzling you because their in a housing not designed for them

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mealexme said:

Having never used spotlights, id presume a problem with spotlights is they don't have a high beam / low beam, which I'd need to use as headlights.

They don't. for a single light you would want the equivalent of an old H4. or a spotlight with two led arrays that are differentially aimed. Im not sure such a thing exists unless its been specifically manufactured for a particular model. Its probably not the sort of thing you could buy off the shelf as the market for such a thing would be tiny.

Edited by Gerontious

12 minutes ago, mealexme said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MOT has been changed in the past few years to mean that putting an LED bulb in a headlight casing designed for halogen is now an MOT fail.

But even so, I'd rather avoid this route as there is nothing worse than an oncoming driver with LED bulbs dazzling you because their in a housing not designed for them

According to https://www.classicbulbs.co.uk/faq/data-books-free-can-i-fit-an-led-bulb-to-my-motorcycle-in-the-uk

they're now legal, as long as they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. I'm looking at a specific kit for the Tiger Explorer at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

According to https://www.classicbulbs.co.uk/faq/data-books-free-can-i-fit-an-led-bulb-to-my-motorcycle-in-the-uk

they're now legal, as long as they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. I'm looking at a specific kit for the Tiger Explorer at the moment.

when I added spots to my old GS I used standard LED spots and had them aimed so they filled out the 'dip' and were always on.. when the dip was on. So, at night I got better forward visibility when using main beam was inappropriate and during the day I was (in theory) more visible to other traffic without blinding them. so they were really 'driving lights'.  The choices available for these is huge and varied.

The only issue I have with the new LEDs bulbs is the stupidly high quantity of light they emit and the high power they consume.

Some are as high as 12,000 lumen which is over twice the comfort level for human eye.

Then you have 120w per bulb which is ridiculously high for the purpose.

My optometrist told me that people complaining about being disturbed by the intensity of the unregulated light bulbs.

As usual, government won't do anything about it until they start to get the NHS bills for eyes treatment.🙄🙄🙄

Legally,

Retrofit of LEDs bulbs or full headlight is now legal as long they comply with the distance as in halogen counterparts