Fluctuating coolant level in overflow bottle

r1blu

Hi all,

Is it normal for the coolant level in the overflow bottle to fluctuate quite a lot? My coolant was replaced last week and the mechanic filled it up to around full, I have ridden it a few times and the coolant now is just below low when I look first thing in morning. 

There are no puddles on the garage floor, the oil is the correct colour in the sight glass and it was bled properly so where does the coolant go?

My bike is a 2008 R1 incase that makes any difference.

Thanks

Its not unknown for mechanics to make a mistake. The general rule of thumb is that when refilling, the coolant is added to the upper line. then the engine is run and if necessary top up once again to the upper line - once everything has settled. This must all be done with the bike upright. if you are concerned about this then I would be taking it back to him for reassurance. This would, at the very least mean you dont have to go out and buy coolant yourself.

If you were looking at the level when the bike was on its side stand that can give a distorted impression.

• Like 1

Sounds like the mechanic drained it when the thermostat was open, filled it when it was closed and then didn't run the engine long enough for the thermostat to open again. Go back and get him to do the job properly, but probably wise to check it again a few days later just in case there is a genuine problem. 

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1

I agree with the others.

Could be that there were an air pocket at one point and while riding it it just movered it and the water replaced it but indoing so lowered the level.

oh and dont just check the window in the case, check under the oil cap before and after running the bike, also check the colour of the coolant for separation contamination when the system is stone cold...