Buying advice please.

Cycleops

I'm in Ghana and looking for a bike to get back into motorcycling after a long gap. Getting on in years and just over 6ft tall.

Found these advertised locally and would appreciate some advice.

Screenshot_20240324-095427.thumb.png.08087422e3c0f50913f91602f835abf2.pngScreenshot_20240324-095340.thumb.png.762913ff718d01cc1100141fc46fc16b.pngScreenshot_20240324-095214.thumb.png.87e7dce27b8e1a2b935c75c8bac47a4e.png

Mileage varies and cannot be guaranteed to be correct nor other info. The VTR odometer screen is blank. Advertised as a 2018 but must be around 2000 from online search.

Any worth considering?

Thanks 

Edited by Cycleops
Additional information

I guess you haven't anyone to take along with you....

This is what I would look for

Is it well cared for? I mean, if the tyres are worn or the horn doesn't work, or there's a rip in the seat, then it's been bit short on love, and that can mean it's packaged up with more serious problems.

What's it like when it starts. It should start on the button and the exhaust shouldn't smoke. You need to check that the engine isn't warm before you start it; sellers can sometimes get the bike started before a buyer visiting, which helps to hide problems.

Once it's been running for a few minutes, open up the oil filler cap, and look at the inside of the cap and around the rim of the engine. What colour is the oil? Ideally it's a pleasant luminous caramel colour, but it could be blacker than that, depending on when the oil was last changed (ask about its service history, but be prepared to take the information with a pinch of salt). If the oil's at all creamy or buttery, walk away.

Is this is kind of information you were after? If so, I'm sure others will add more useful stuff than I can give you!

• Thanks 1

Hi, yes as above, like it would be when you look at anything second hand. I don't know anything much about the models you show, so the basics, do they look worn out and tired, have they been dropped etc. Go and talk to the sellers and see what they say, ask them what's wrong with them (the bike) Just go and find out as much as you can, you'll be surprised what you learn along the way.

You said (in another thread I think) there are a lot of chinese 125's there. One of the reasons they are not good over here is because there is no real service/parts back up. As well as the quality being lower than say japanese bikes. But because there is so many over there I wouldn't discount one of those, if everyone has them there must be a lot of local knowledge and plenty of cheap spares. They can't all be bad, can they?