Whadya reckon to this?

Cycleops

Screenshot_20240326-200922.thumb.png.3efaddf6a09078bf3f6850aee89db2cf.pngHonda Hornet 600 of indeterminate age, perhaps someone could help out with that. Mileage not known as the LCD screen has gone blank. 

Guy want about 1k for it. 

Are they reliable bikes? Thought they may be as it's a Honda.

While I'm at it can anyone tell me what this bike is? Advertised as a Hornet but don't think so.

Screenshot_20240326-202246.thumb.png.1863fdf9202781b520429767738a7787.png

Edited by Cycleops
More ifo

Don't know if you saw my introduction post but I'm in Ghana. Bikes here seem to be quite cheap but many have been abused. Case of checking them over very carefully I guess.

• Like 2

the honda are reliable and the safer bet but if it's neglected it will still suffer.

even with the poor picture that one is setting off my spidey senses.

it's definitely had a smash or a very hard drop,  front brake lever is banna shaped and been bent back/forward so the lever is actually closer to the bar than should be. bar end missing. no mirrors. non std indicator on the front same side.

fork could be a little bent? hard to tell here.

one mile of black insolation tape over the coolant pipe to cover the holes/leaks.

throttle cable kinked very badly.

is that a auxiliary light or some crappy attempt of a crash bung just below the radiator? 

the other reminds me of a chinese copy of a honda (casing looks similar to their style) or a bad yamaha dragstar. its in better nick but an unknown quality. chain might need to be tighter or changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I've had a look at the Hornet now and looks pretty dodgy. It's evidently been abused. Wheels are all chipped so ridden over kerbs. A lot of wear generally and a dent in the tank. The seller's brother brought it over and said he was a dispatch rider so I think that's what it's been used for. 

People here don't seem to want to look after their machines and treat them anyhow which is sad.

The cruiser is a Honda Shadow 250 from my research. May try to have a look at it. Going for £600.

The best one I've found so far is a Honda VTR 250 fresh from Japan, 1998, 14300km so the locals haven't had a chance to wreck it. Very nice overall condition and original. Don't think this model came to Europe. Looks like a Ducati Monster but in mini form.

Screenshot_20240328-184742.thumb.png.235b5626c243100c7dc188b960619ef6.png

Quite light compared to the Hornet so better for me.

• Like 2

yep never made it over the waters.

only thing is the bigger ones had terrible fuel range (small tank) and fueling issues (poor optimisation)plus the typical honda stator and reg problems of the time .

it seems better than the others.