Newbie helmet question

Just done my CBT

Instructor talking about clothing and helmets, he said that providing it is EU compliant etc it will be safe, and may as well get a cheap one

I'm thinking £40-£50

Full faced - nothing fancy

Some people claim that a £500 helmet is better (safer), others that £100 ones are just as safe, others that sub £50 ones are still just as safe.

Don't mind spending more if needed, but budget is tight, so don't want to waste money.

So long as it's safe, ventilated so it doesn't fog, and fits, I'm not too bothered

Do you guys agree that sub £50 helmets can be just as safe, so long as they're EU compliant.

(end use will be something like a CBR600 after Direct Access)

Probably many more questions to follow

Thanks

Hello!

You can get good named brands at really reduced prices if you dont buy the latest upgrade I've had a shoei for £80 and my latest AGV was £70.

They may have a reduced shelf life but must say not greatly but you can change helmets a couple of times the same way for the price of a more expensive one.

Also if you do come off or just drop the helmet the financial loss isnt as great :wink:

No worries mate....

Firstly they all pass the same tests to be allowed for us to use them... Some, of course will exceed this test and more often than not, they tend to be more expensive.

I know people who won't spend less than £200 on a lid, and others even more than that.... At the same time I know some people who refuse to spend more than £100 on a helmet....

Read through that link again... What's in there is what is important.... More than anything it should fit your head.... Unfortunately you may have a head shape that could prove expensive.... :D :D

Other people will have other views on this though... This normally causes a heated debate!! :lol: :lol:

Guest philgale

all lids on the shelves pass the same test, but some lids just pass and some lids pi55 all over the test....

agree with techno, get a helmet that used to be expensive last season that is much cheaper now.....

put sharp helmet test - with the spaces - into your search engine and it'll give you the official sharp helmet test site and mcn's with a load of test results in it.

if you don't know, sharp is the new safety rating test for lids. a lot that scores five stars aren't expensive.

hope that helps :)

Thanks Big Sis

I'll have a look at that and take it with me when I buy

To be honest mate a lot of people are taking their findings with a big pinch of salt... Some people think their testing is flawed and helmets are getting bad marks for things they don't deserve....

OKay cool - but it's still a good guide, better than going in blind

5* £60 helmets (Lazer LZ6)

2* £400 helmets (Schuberth S1 Pro)

It seems to me that noone seems to know and opinions vary, one of those things that is constantly under debate

If I could find one that fitted perfect, and was a good make or rated 4/5 * on safety chart, and had 22.05 etc ... I'd probably just go for that. Like the LZ6 above

Will have to have a look I suppose

Thanks

OKay cool - but it's still a good guide, better than going in blind

5* £60 helmets (Lazer LZ6)

2* £400 helmets (Schuberth S1 Pro)

It seems to me that noone seems to know and opinions vary, one of those things that is constantly under debate

If I could find one that fitted perfect, and was a good make or rated 4/5 * on safety chart, and had 22.05 etc ... I'd probably just go for that. Like the LZ6 above

Will have to have a look I suppose

Thanks

Spot on mate!! :thumb:

Without a doubt what matters is how it fits!!! A poorly fitting helmet could, in some circumstances cause more damage in a crash...

There are far better tests on the market than Sharp - it is massively flawed by all accounts, testing i n the wrong areas for impact.

Provided you have BS or EEU markings (forget the Gold ACU label-it's for racing) then the lid is fit for purpose.

As a guidline the more expensive the lid, the better the quality is likely to be. However, some budget lids (sub £100) are relatively good quality.

Some folk swear by Arai, some Shoei, others Schuberth etc.

Fit is more important than cost.

If I were you, I would be looking at HJC lids, good price (even better if you can get a 'deal' on last years colours) and fit most folk. They are safety compliant with current regs. They are a US lid.

I just brought my first helmet as well,

2bh I was looking for the best looking one at first :P Then I tried a few on for size wrote down the name of the one I liked, Came home put into Google and got it for £40 cheaper. :D