Pinlock - Anyone had issues?

My standard pinlock insert for Shoei Multitec doesn't see to be sealing properly and keeps slipping downward. The anti-mist properties seem to be somewhat lost when this happens. The gel seal looks ok before re-fitting visor to lid. I'm thinking it's possibly that either the visor is no longer the correct shape or the pinlock is no longer the correct shape (from stretching out for fitting).

I took the pinlock out of my Nolan and now use a fogcity style insert, which, although it doesn't stick all the way round, is consistently better than the pinlock was.

Not easy to get a good pic that shows issue properly... Looking at the front of the visor when you look closely at the gel edging, with the visor off the helmet, you can see it seals correctly, doesn't move at all. Then when you fit visor back on to helmet, the pinklock becomes loose.

I've bent (not kinked) the pinlock backwards to take out some of the curve with the hope that it would press against the visor more firmly, this has helped but not cured the problem.

I'm thinking that the issue is with the visor now... Instuctions say to 'flatten out' visor to fit - perhaps this process has deformed the curvature of the actual visor... think I'm going to try that next.

Considered fog city as pinlock not brilliant for night use (and not homologated for use in the dark) however I am thinking about getting an amber insert, these are supposed to be for low light. Possible dumb question, but does that mean after lighting up? Cannot find definitive answer as to whether these are homologated for use in the dark anywhere.

Anyone know where I can buy just the inner bit for my Shoei? I have an Iridium visor and at the moment have to keep changing the inner pin-visor to whatever visor I am wearing that day. Today went for a ride and realised I had not changed the inner bit over which annoyed me somewhat....

So, Korbs, what have you done with a Pinlock???????? :)

Anyone know where I can buy just the inner bit for my Shoei? I have an Iridium visor and at the moment have to keep changing the inner pin-visor to whatever visor I am wearing that day. Today went for a ride and realised I had not changed the inner bit over which annoyed me somewhat....

try racevisors they've got loads of kits

Like Big Sis said, http://www.racevisors.co.uk/ have them...

What did I do with a pinlock.....

Well... When I first got me helmet I did not have a bike at the time, but wanted to get the helmet ready.

Set it all up and tried it on.... Great apart from the visor misted up... Thought I would give this pinlock thing a try as it came free with the visor.

It made things even worse... Everything was blurry, and distorted, so out it came.

Got my bike a few months later and tried it again and again and again..... Same thing everytime, so I would not even get on the bike wearing it.

Then about 2 months later I thought I would give it one more try...

Pulled it out and looked at it.... My immediate reaction was, "Fecking ell, this thing is rubbish.... It's scratched itself while I have not been using it"...... I ran my finger over the scratch to see how deep it was...

Then after 20 minutes of laughing at myself and my own stupidity I had a pinlock that worked perfectly..... You see, the scratch was in fact the protective film that you have to peel off before you insert it that was beginning to come away at the edges....

I was known as The Pinlock King for a while on here!! :lol: :lol:

The pins on the visor should turn (well they do on my Arai) This has the effect of increasing/decreasing the gap between each pin, which in turn forces the insert onto the visor by decreasing the gap. Hope this is clear. If not try e-mailing Shoei for their advice. Hope you get it sorted as my pinlock system is the dogs danglies

I use Pinlock in all my helmets both my own and work (Arai SV/RX7RR/Corsair and Shoei Synchrotec/Multitec) and have never had a problem.

The Pinlocks are on a cam. You can turn them around in their holes and adjust the fit of the visor to the shield.

I have used other products such as Fog City and find the Pinlock system far superior.

When you fit the visor, you need to literally flatten the shield and ease the inner visor into the pegs

If you continue to have problems take it into an authorized dealer who should be trained in it's use/fitting.

Great, thanks for all the advice folks.

Korben - Most of the negative reviews of pinlock on the net seem to relate to the issue you had.

I'll check the pins, makes sense now. Perhaps I should start reading the instructions for things I buy! :roll:

Paul - Be careful which you pick... Racevisors have two listed for Shoei, standard and large. I believe the large is most likely the race version - the comes up higher in the visor, on my multitec it comes up in to the visor seal and lets rain in - I know, you ain't going to be riding round with iridium visor in the rain, but I put in my clear for a better view at night and found it let water in.

Edited by boot