Intercoms and bike communications kit guide

Guest akey

As I have now used a few different types of intercom and bike to bike kits and some other members on here have been asking about the different types I though I would write a quick guide on the different types of systems and review those that I have actually used.

first of I will talk about 3 types of system, basic rider to pillion, modular system, and bluetooth systems.

Basic rider to pillion.

These are the wired systems with a small control box and a fitting kit for rider and pillion helmet. I have used a couple of these over the years and found them to be variable in quality to say the least, from the pretty good (do what they say on the tin) to the absolutly awful (either to quiet or to loud).

Pros

Cheap, easy to fit (most of the time), small

Cons

Vary in quality, usually require a battery, no flexibility or additional connections.

Modular Systems.

I have previously used the Starcom1 system in both rider to pillion and bike to bike mode, the latter using Cobra radios but I believe the Autocom system is very similar. These systems usually require hard wiring into the bike for power (although the starcom can be powered by an internal batter (pp9) it doesnt last long) are more expensive (starcom £140 for each bike). Essentially you have a control box for the system that is wired into the bike, you can then add various additions to expand the kit including - bluetooth adaptor, additional headset (for pillion), radio (for bike to bike), MP3, mobile phone, press to talk (PTT) button, GPS. Each rider or pillion needs to fit a kit into their helmet, which then plugs (via cable) into the control box the volume can then be set, as can the sensitivity of VOX (voice operated transmit). Willow and I had these systems and they work well, they do take a bit of setting up and the vox can be tricky to set up so we just used the PTT buttons, but this means another button on the handlebars. The upside is they are really expandable they can include rider, pillion and other riders and there is no real limit to the number of rider on the channel as they just use the PMR radio system so with my starcom I could talk to my cousins on their autocoms as long as we were all on the same channel. You have to remember to fix the radio somewhere outside the bike or in a pocket to get the best range, and because it is a radio based system it operates in simplex mode (If one person is transmitting no-one else can) ie one way.

Pros,

flexibility, range (up to 1.5km depending on quality of radio used), no of users (if you have friends with kits), quality of sound, volume adjusts to background noise, directional mic to reduce background noise.

cons,

Takes time and effort to install and set up, cost, additional wireing, cables to helmet, simplex operation, quality of sound

I know i have put quality of sound as both a pro and a con, rider to pillion or to rider from MP3 is excellent quality but bike to bike is lower quality because of the use of PMR radios.

Bluetooth

I have tried a few of these in the past and they have absolutly failed to deliver, difficult to pair low quality and tiny range. However I trialled a new one a few weeks ago now, and then purchased one for willow and I to replace our starcom system.

I have a scarla rider Q2 system (the latest one as it has the MP3 connection). If you buy the multiset then you get 2 systems in the pack already paired together. The kit fits directly on the side of a helmet either by a clamp or self adhesive mount with the actual radio being removeable. Even with no experience I had my loan kit fitted to my lid in 5 min, ready to go. The scala Q2 has a built in radio, a connection cable to a MP3 player if needed and is a bluetooth device. So how did it fair, well on the test ride to the NEC we got to use the system in urban and motorway environments and we got 50-100m or so bike to bike in town (depending on traffic or line of sight) and on the motorway we got 100-250m at good motorway speeds if we lost the link then once back in range the sets re-paired quickly and we were back in. Now for the important differences, because this is a bluetooth data link rather than a PMR radio the quality is very good, and its full duplex (both can talk at the same time!). The vox system is not adjustable but is perfect right out of the box, no messing fit the kit and away you go, if you dont want to use the vox you can just press the connect button on the control unit and it establishes a permenant link. Now for the down side, you can only connect one unit to 2 buddies, so I can talk to willow, and I can talk to my lillun on the back (if she had another scala system) but the lillun cannot talk to willow, and I cannot talk to anyone else, I also cant connect to others in a club unlike the modular systems. I also tested the bluetooth link with my phone (on auto answer) and willow phoned me while I was riding home last weekend, it was crystal clear both ends with no problems at all.

Pros

easy to fit, Price (£240 rrp for a multiset), expandability with other items (phone etc), ease of use, sound quality, wireless, volume adjusts to background noise, directional mic to reduce background noise..

Cons

Limited to no of users at once (primary and secondary buddy), ineroperability (only talks to other scala sets as an intercom), range, will only hold one link at a time (primary or secondary) so you have to switch between them.

Conclusion

So work out what you want to do with your system (honestly) and what your budget is and then choose the appropriate system for you.

I only ever really used the bike to bike with willow, and we are usually riding together and within 100m of each other, we wanted something very simple to use and set up without faffing around, but something which I could add a pillion to each of us if we wanted so we have gone for the Scala rider system over the modular one. While willow hasnt used it on the bike yet we did a test round the house and garden and the system is working just fine.

Update - willow has now used this and loves it, easy to use and spot on for us (however she probably now regrets it :lol:)

Hope this helps, and please if you have any experience of any other systems or makes please feel free to add them.

Edited by akey

I use one of the basic rider-to-pillion types, an Albrecht AE600. I've found it to be excellent if you don't need bike-to-bike.

The mike is good quality, especially for the price, we don't suffer from wind noise even on the motorway. Its even still on its first set of batteries.

I wrote a bit more about it and posted some pics in this thread

sounds good akey

i use similar the motosonic 700bh headset which i have had no issues with up to approx 65-70mph voice is good then the wind noise takes over a bit ( could be helmet ....) ..music is ok up to 85 ....i pair it with a samsung yp t9jb mp3 player as it is a bluetooth player so no wires needed .... and am awaiting my midlands 445bt pmr again bluetooth enabled...... have tried the headset with pillion and that was no worries not sure about the bike to bike comms as i think the headset you have has a better strength for that area .... ...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks akey, looks like I'll be sticking to the autocom modular system for a while then. I was wondering what system to fit to Nellies new bike and I think you've pretty well covered it.

Will say to anyone doing bike to bike through a modular system to get the best radio you can, I've settled on a Kenwood protalk, huge range and long battery time between charges.

The system on my Pan is wired into the bike but the one on the Bandit works off a battery, not had any issues with either so far but then I change the battery quite frequently.

• 1 month later...

If all you want is just plain bike to bike, then forget autocom & starcom, it's just added expense

full bike to bike kits are available & like most others fit under the seat & on any system this is not good, the aerial is the heart & soul of the system & having the aerial surrounded by bike frame & wiring looms, you will loose 50% of it potential,, any radio under the seat will give you a range of about 7/8ooyrds,, good enough for a ride as most riders are never this far apart,

There are two things I would recommend for bike to bike, first a dummy battery that lets you hard wire the radio to the bike, add to this an auxiliary switch, this will save you having to charge the radio after each ride, & the switch so you can turn the radio on/off and don't have to remove the seat each time,,

The second thing is an external aerial/antenna kit, this will give you back most of the 50% you lost by having the radio under the seat, & give you a range on open road of well over a mile+,, but less round towns & buildings,, I only know one radio that lets you remove the aerial to fit the external kit & thats the Wintec 80

when you read radio box's, most claim a 3 klm range, possible if you both stand on hills with fresh air between you, but down at ground level ,, NO,,, anything & everything will degrade a radio signal,, you can get the best radio going & it won't mean a thing if it’s connected to a poorly placed aerial,,

all of the above info is related to the Wintec 80, All the Tec Spec's can be found on here

http://www.intaride.com/

feel free to pm for more info

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the Cardo Scala Q2 headsets this week (twin pack). In part to Akeys recommendation. I was already using a starcom system but to expand it to bike to bike (TheWife now has her own bike) proved bloody expensive.

I have to say, I am damned impressed by the Scala setup. Akey is spot on with his pros and cons.

A good 90% from me!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why would you wanna talk to the Mrs? I ride my bike to block her out, can't think of nothing worse than having them nagging in your earhole..............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good write up :thumb:

Why would you wanna talk to the Mrs? I ride my bike to block her out, can't think of nothing worse than having them nagging in your earhole..............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good write up :thumb:

I often give my mate a pillion too and the Autocom is fantastic for pillion use. I've not quite done the speeds greenstein has done with him but it's as clear as sitting in a room chatting over the noise of a tv. It also helped my wife on her first trip on the bike as I could keep her chatting so the nerves didn't really kick in.

I've also now got bike to bike radios plugged into my autocom and my dads autocom so we can chat while riding to each other. They aren't as good as pillion as it's simplex rather than duplex but for passing comment on ladies you pass or on hazards ahead they work a treat.

In fact, I can't give the autocom a good enough report as they work brilliantly. The only downside to them is having the single cable plugged in to your helmet but I hear they are doing wireless systems now. Not sure if that's just wireless comms to the uni or the headsets are wireless too.

• 2 weeks later...
I use one of the basic rider-to-pillion types, an Albrecht AE600. I've found it to be excellent if you don't need bike-to-bike.

The mike is good quality, especially for the price, we don't suffer from wind noise even on the motorway. Its even still on its first set of batteries.

I wrote a bit more about it and posted some pics in this thread

Shame they seem to of almost doubled in price since you got one :( but still cheaper than most other decent kits out there so I think based on your recommendation I may be buying one in the near future! thanks :)

EDIT: Oh no they havent, I was looking at the advanced model :oops:

As a heads up I have personally used this..

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... 55-C690.00

It is alot like the ones you use on your test and I have found them to be very good. The range is only a few km but if your riding together why would you go so far from the group.

They dont come with headsets but I see that as a good thing as ones that do come with them beef up the price and are uncomfortable. These you can hook them up to a good headset of your choice.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I am quite a new rider, and myself and my other half did first try some cheap and cheerful bike-to-bike systems off Ebay (Cobra radios I think), they worked OK, but the VOX was awful and instead we have to resort to push to talk switches supplied with the kit.

When we both progressed onto bigger bikes, I research the Autocom system and purchased again 2 from Ebay - got quite a good deal. They both work, just one of the headsets need replacing, but what amazed me is the total rubbish instructions, and drip-drip nature of you need a cable to do this and that, and all in all if the end product is only average it leaves me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.

pop into newbies and introduce yourself..

Welcome

oh and put your location in your user control panel thingy..

helps us, to help you...

I don't use a radio, as i dont do much pillion stuff, and bike to bike i have a usual group and we have our own signals for stuff, very basic, really, problems /fuel etc, lights off, then we stop/pull in and ask whats up..

someone with a better knowledge of comms will be along to help shortly..

The problem for Autocom is that there are sooooo many radios out there so they can't supply a radio lead with the autocom as you'd end up requiring a different one more than likely due to the radio being non compliant with the cable included.

I love the autocom though.

I can accept that Autocom seems to the industry leader, but by god is the way they go about it rubbish!

I mean the instructions are confusing, lots of information is left out. Their website is useless and because the system is soooooo expandable with lots of different options you end up having to buy the unit, some leads, some radios etc etc... and all that adds up in cost.

Coming from the marketing/design industry I am not impressed and hence have spent my hard-earned cash elsewhere, I understand that the newer units are easier to install, but even they are badly labelled.

(I have now got off my soapbox!)

Thanks

• 10 months later...

I bought the new Scala Rider G4 bluetooth headset the other week from * link removed*and it is great.

They are a bit expensive but well worth the money, it has a range of up to one mile depending on the where you are. And works great at high speed I have been told.

I have heard great things about the other Scala Rider stuff but this one was the newest so I would have thought the best.

• 1 month later...

forgive my ignorance but I would like to get a blue tooth helmet as I just want to listen to my music when I'm on a long run, my questions are. do you have to charge up your helmet when linked to your phone and do you get a mike so you can answer your phone when it rings? I'm fed up with my ears hurting with the ear phones under the helmet, also I cant answer the phone just now as the mike is out-side with the noise, thanks in advance,,,sandy

• 1 year later...

just ordered the scala g4 multiset.

as i use full face helmets, i ordered them with the slimline wired mics instead of the mic on a stick.

my only concern will be any wind noise from the unit when attached to the side of the helmet.

i'll report back once i've tested them.

my only concern will be any wind noise from the unit when attached to the side of the helmet.

My only concern will be that I will be able to hear him!! :lol: (oh and that he WILL hear me singing very badly in an attempt to remember to breath whilst going round corners :oops: )

just ordered the scala g4 multiset.

as i use full face helmets, i ordered them with the slimline wired mics instead of the mic on a stick.

I've got the same set with the 'mic. on a stick.' :P Mic is a bit of a nuisance as my helmet is flip front, i have to tuck it in from the chin (i am taking it back to shop - as it has a strange noise every time I move it :shock: ) But it is handy at the same time, 'cos you don't have to keep the lid on to talk to your pilli/other biker.

Wind noise is no problem, its AGC (Automatic Gain Control) and VOX adjusts themselves really well in conjuction, which increases the volume as the engine noise goes up, prevents you from hearing the wind (I've got a SHOEI multitec helmet with whisper kit - which required a bit fiddling to poke the wires through).

Communication is superb, sometimes we need to tap on the Channel A if one of the riders is disconnected (dunno why, will let you know when I figure out)

It has an in built FM radio (on the go or saved stations - again I need to figure out on the go stations). It pairs to the phone, and can be connected to the mp3 player via jack. I am not happy with my music experience at the minute, as my phone doesn't auto-continue to play after an intercom call comes, but its volume is relative to my speed and it is the other way around with mp3 player. Solution: Iphone 5, me thinks :mrgreen: I shall pair the sods and let them decide the calls, gps, voice commands and music. I will test it with an iTouch first and let you know. So far, all I could say is that it is an ultimate kit to do everything you may want, but you need to allow time to get used to it, no good buying it for tomorrow setting off to a Europe tour. :lol: