tomtom rider

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/11/tomtom_rider_2nd_edition_2.jpg

one of these vicki

sat nav for bike

waterproof bike mount use with gloves on etc etc

used to use my mobile but its a bit slow and can easily miss turns :?

Sounds reasonable to me. Garmin ones are still around 450ish as advertised in MCN, however if you want one for a car you can pick them up for £99 in a local shop near me. Why so much extra for a bike baffles the crap out of me. ???????

Sounds reasonable to me. Garmin ones are still around 450ish as advertised in MCN, however if you want one for a car you can pick them up for £99 in a local shop near me. Why so much extra for a bike baffles the crap out of me. ???????

neil its cuz they make them glove proof/ all weathered and vibration proof for bikes.

loada crap really, as i found out in the matlock weekend a lot of riders are just getting car ones and have a plastic bag over them lol :cheers:

neil its cuz they make them glove proof/ all weathered and vibration proof for bikes.

loada crap really, as i found out in the matlock weekend a lot of riders are just getting car ones and have a plastic bag over them lol :cheers:

thats me i just buy the best cheapest one i can find ~(halfords clearance) route 66 mini/maxi never paid more than 60 for one ok so i killed 2 so far welll one and a half still trying to get other one back together...but a sandwich bag over it with and tied up tight and elastic bands to stop the bag flapping ..bone dry on last weekend ....

plus my one i use the car suction mount on the screen :) ...... only comes of if i knock it too hard ...

Speaking as an owner of one... be warned, they tend not to charge successfully on bike.

I use a cigarette lighter socket (i use universal 12v plugs same as the bikes optmate plug) so I can plug it in and charge it on the run if I have to.

Great bit of kit though m8. especially fun when you use it to get lost!!!! Pin in the map sort of thing... :)

Stu have a look here supposed to be a good site for tom tom updates

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

TC thanks for the link but its already in my favs :thumb:

they do a great bit of software so you can plan routes using google maps works ace 8-)

Speaking as an owner of one... be warned, they tend not to charge successfully on bike.

I use a cigarette lighter socket (i use universal 12v plugs same as the bikes optmate plug) so I can plug it in and charge it on the run if I have to.

Great bit of kit though m8. especially fun when you use it to get lost!!!! Pin in the map sort of thing... :)

yeah i have heard some bad things about the charging system before :? im sure i can fettle with it :lol:

i like the pin in the map game :lol: :lol:

thats me i just buy the best cheapest one i can find ~(halfords clearance) route 66 mini/maxi never paid more than 60 for one ok so i killed 2 so far welll one and a half still trying to get other one back together...but a sandwich bag over it with and tied up tight and elastic bands to stop the bag flapping ..bone dry on last weekend ....

plus my one i use the car suction mount on the screen :) ...... only comes of if i knock it too hard ...

cheers again Tim,

great advice as per usual :D

Do you just run it off the battery or have you rigged it up somehow?

thats me i just buy the best cheapest one i can find ~(halfords clearance) route 66 mini/maxi never paid more than 60 for one ok so i killed 2 so far

so you have had to buy 3 ? at say £60 each so thats £180 at this rate you may aswell have bought a tomtom rider at £250 :?

Just for you Stu, I thought I'd share....... When I was knocked off me Pan, the mount was damaged by the salvage people trying to get it off. Now there is no room really on the 'Blade to fit it so I fabricated a stainless mount using what was left of the original. You can see that it is tight.... but best place for it really. In this position you need to rely on the spoken instructions really, because you do need to physically look down to see it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/mysafpics123/mount.jpghttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/mysafpics123/mounttomtom.jpg

Going on to what I was saying earlier, I bought some power plugs from Maplin and changed the plug on the battery cable for the optimate. Bottom of pic (see below)

Above on the right (see below pic) is a cigarette lighter socket bought for a fiver from a camping shop. This has had the included crocodile clips removed and replaced with a plug. I can now plug that in and use as an accessory socket for charging the tomtom straight from the battery. Rather than discard the crocodile clips I have reattached them to a cable, also with a plug. Essentially these are motorcycle jump leads. I can plug em into the (optimate) socket and use them to attach to an external battery or bike/car in the event of a flat battery. Alternatively it can be used as a power source but given the capacity of the battery I'm never gonna do that!!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/mysafpics123/gizmos.jpg

In order to use the charger from a cigarette socket, I have removed the bottom flap from the tomtom

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f40/mysafpics123/tomtom.jpg

Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.....

-DTM-