Should a Suzuki GSX600F be able to start on sidestand?

choppedminx

Well, just as the title says, Should a Suzuki GSX600F be able to start on sidestand?

I was under the impression that it should start on the side stand, but cut the engine when put into gear. Mine won't start when the side stand is down, and cuts the engine if it is running and the stand is lowered.

I only have a later model owners manual, that states that it will start with stand down etc, but I am not sure if this applies to my earlier (1989) model?

Just asking as it is quite had to put onto centre stand to warm engine :wink:

As far as i'm aware it should run with the sidestand down while in Neutrel but will cut the engine if you put it in gear with the stand still down.

Otherwise how would you let the engine warm up before you set off.

I had the same drama with my Ninja not long ago where the side stand cut off switch was playing up. I had no neutral light on the instruments and from what I could make out that was also causing a problem.... I gave the bit that goes into the front sprocket a good dousing with WD40 and strangely enough it worked again...

mine starts fine on the side stand......it's a 94 model,

the only problem is it also tries to start when it's not in neutral and on the side stand as fc found out...................2 new mirros later (they weren't the same as the original) and a new screen he's learnt to look for the neutral light :lol:

it also doesn't cut out when going and the stand is down.......i'd assumed there wasn't a cut our switch :oops:

To me this sounds like someone has been playing with the wires and it effectively kills the system when the stand is lowered

will it start with the bike in gear ? as you may find if someone has been there playing tehy may have the wires mixed around ... so the stand switch is connected to the gear cutout and vice versa

To me this sounds like someone has been playing with the wires and it effectively kills the system when the stand is lowered

will it start with the bike in gear ? as you may find if someone has been there playing tehy may have the wires mixed around ... so the stand switch is connected to the gear cutout and vice versa

It will start in gear with the stand up, but not when it is down.

will it start with stand down and in gear if you pull the clutch in ?

may be the clutch switch has stuck closed ..... see if you can find the switch next to clutch lever and watch as you pull the clutch to see if the plunger part moves at all and if not try to gently pull it out .......

just me working things through here

Bike on s/stand in neutral = no start

Bike on centre stand in neutral=start

Bike in gear centre stand =start (is that with clutch pulled in or not ?)

Think the above about clutch switchh may not be important but worth a check .....

All else i can think of is if the wires to sidestand switch has chaffed and is earthing out on chassis somewhere so when switch is open ( off/stand up) no current is flowing to the damaged part .... but when stand is down (switch on ) it completes the circuit and sends the current to earth ... ( that if it is a two wired switch )

mine starts fine on the side stand......it's a 94 model,

the only problem is it also tries to start when it's not in neutral and on the side stand as fc found out...................2 new mirros later (they weren't the same as the original) and a new screen he's learnt to look for the neutral light :lol:

it also doesn't cut out when going and the stand is down.......i'd assumed there wasn't a cut our switch :oops:

Your Clutch safety has been bypassed, Most Suzuki's cant start without the clutch engaged, in gear or in neutral, and then cut out if in gear when clutch is released, with stand down, stops broken mirrors.. just embarrasing.. lol..

Actually it will start in gear with the stand down, but only with the clutch in, it won't start without the clutch in, once you release the clutch the sidestand safety cuts the engine.. as its in gear...

owned too many Suzukis...

will it start with stand down and in gear if you pull the clutch in ?

may be the clutch switch has stuck closed ..... see if you can find the switch next to clutch lever and watch as you pull the clutch to see if the plunger part moves at all and if not try to gently pull it out .......

You cant se the plunger as it sits inside the lever from underneath, but if you pull of both female connectors and join with a clean nail, it will bypass, just be wary of were you put nail after as they have a habit of becoming a puncture...

Frankie

PROBLEM SOLVED :D :D :D

The connector at the back of the 'side stand diode' had a corroded wire!!

- managed to make up another connector, and solder onto the diode - problem solved!

Thanks for all your suggestions

Have a Happy New Year

Nick