Nokia phones / SatNav / Ear plugs

I like riding with ear plugs in

I have SatNav, but no motorcycle adaptor

My phone upgrade is in 3 weeks.

So ... was thinking of getting a Nokia with built in SatNav. This could go in my coat pocket, and I could use headphones to navigate. If it gets tricky I can pull over to look at map, but should be OK.

But I'd want ones that act as ear plugs too. Can you get this sort of headphone that would work on a Nokia?

Also, anyone else used a Nokia for SatNav on a bike? Is it OK? I.e. does it work OK, will battery be OK, is it loud enough?

Thanks

Guest philgale

you can get an adapter so you can use any headphones, i think the n96 has the normal headphone jack anyway....

i know stu uses the satnav on his n95 just sticks the phone in his tank bag map pocket so you can still see it.

Guest philgale

somethings like this

also to get the satnav you need the symbian software which the only smaller nokia is the 6220 classic. but to be honest if your gonna use it as a satnav the bigger the screen the better

the nokia's usually come with a headphone adaptor the N95 uses a normal 3.5mm jack plug 8-)

if your going to get one with sat nav you need the most up to date phone with lots of free ram not memory you need ram

bit like your pc ram for working programs fast

memory for storing :)

the N96 has more then enough ram at 128mb where as the N95 is a bit limited at 21mb :? which makes the sat nav run slow at times

easily miss a turn :?

you will also need a charger for your phone as when using sat nav it eats the battery

also dont get a phone with sat nav already as it costs you for the software when you can get it for free if you look around or pm me :)

you are best off with a separate GPS receiver too and not using the built in one especially if you are thinking of putting it in your pocket :?

also try ram mount for a suitable mount for the phone like the aqua box :wink:

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/images/products/ramb101aq3iu1.jpg

the battery on the phone will last about 3 hours max when usiing the sat nav

i bought a spare battery and on a run to matlock and back i used both :shock:

if you want it on a mobile i would go for the nokia N96 with tomtom installed using a ram mount so you can see it plus wire a charger on to the bike :)

It's a TomTom One

But the battery is sh1t, so it needs power too.

I may just get the Nokia and a spare battery. I want something easy, that way I can just put it in my pocket and go ... much better than having wires and stuff. Can't be rsed with that

Does anyone do it like I'm suggesting?

i would try and get a mount for your tomtom

you will need wires or be spending on extra batteries anyway

you have to get OE batteries otherwise they dont last as long then you need the phone and software and GPS receiver :?

might work out cheaper just to get the mount

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/bike-mount82.htm

but it depends what version of tomtom one you have aswell

Watchout for Nokia 6110 Navigator, great satnav and a good phone but the battery life is abysmal, I use mine in the car with handsfree ear piece and its fine as long as I've got the phone plugged into ciggie lighter.

the nokia's usually come with a headphone adaptor the N95 uses a normal 3.5mm jack plug 8-)

if your going to get one with sat nav you need the most up to date phone with lots of free ram not memory you need ram

bit like your pc ram for working programs fast

memory for storing :)

the N96 has more then enough ram at 128mb where as the N95 is a bit limited at 21mb :? which makes the sat nav run slow at times

easily miss a turn :?

you will also need a charger for your phone as when using sat nav it eats the battery

also dont get a phone with sat nav already as it costs you for the software when you can get it for free if you look around or pm me :)

you are best off with a separate GPS receiver too and not using the built in one especially if you are thinking of putting it in your pocket :?

also try ram mount for a suitable mount for the phone like the aqua box :wink:

128mb of ram on a phone :shock: Doesn't seem that long since that was the best a computer would have was 512!!

And as for the other bit, the admins not endorsing illegal activities is he now? :wink:

Nothing wrong with N95 using Nokia Maps 2.0 other than gps does eat battery. You wouldn't want to be caught out without working phone if you needed it would you? Bluetooth GPS would be better way to go, although fitting a power outlet to your bike would probably be well advised whichever device you use.

Nokia are working on Nokia Maps 3.0 but it's still in beta and only available for S60 V.3 at the moment.

All GPS route planners need a little common sense used too - they're not faultless, Nokia Maps 2.0 has sent me to some pretty stupid places. Recently it tried to take me on a 5 mile journey when trying to find a local road, but is usually fairly reliable.

Nothing, but nothing, beats a good old conventional map (if being read by a bloke that is).

Hello I am only new to this site but i thought i put abit of input in on GPS. Currently i have the orange spv550 phone with a bluetooth gps unit and using Co-Pilot 6 software.I used this for my wagon as i can have low bridges and weight limits added to it.But like they say a proper paper map should always be handed especially if you are relying on your gps unit as these sometimes failed or take you somewhere were you do not want to be.

Hope to meet some of you guys and girls on ride outs in the northwest area.Oh yes happy new year to you all.

I have a Nokia N73 with a seperate GPS unit. I have Tomtom installed and have a 2gb memory card and it runs fine. The only problem I have is that the headphones that come with it are far too big and stick outwards so much when my helmet is on it hurts my ears so I need one of those adapters to plug some other headphones in.

The other good thing about having a 2gb memory card in my phone is that I can listen to music on my phone too. I've not tried running TomTom and music but I'll get back to you when I have.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update this post for anyone that may be browsing for info on this. I recently changed mobile handset from N95 to SE-X1, and running Tom Tom 7 on this handset. It is FAR superior to the Nokia Maps (Navteq) software and the built in GPS gets a fix in seconds rather than minutes.