Advice on buying a used Arai lid

Guest ProfessorGoat

I was looking at this used Arai lid at a fairly good price of about £100. Cost £300 new 5 years ago. The lid has been sitting for about 4 years doing nothing but was used for a year. It has a few minor scratches on one side from being put on a table.

Date Of Birth

All helmets have a date of birth. The average life span of a helmet is between 3 and 5 years. This was largely because of the effects of UV light in the (glass fibre) shells of older helmets -- today's polycarbonate technologies stand up to UV light much better; however, it still makes sense to buy as 'young' a helmet as possible. Although the helmet may never have been taken out of its box who knows what damage may have been caused with it rattling around in some stock room somewhere.

This lid has not been exposed to UV as such. Would anyone consider it to be OK still?

Buying

Firstly never buy 2nd hand unless you really know and 100% trust the person you are buying from. Even then I would not recommend it. Once a helmet is dropped or damaged in an accident it needs replacing as a weak point will be in the helmet therefore making it dangerous to use. Even if you can’t see damage, it may be in there, so it is recommended not to buy a helmet if you don’t know its history 100%.

Go somewhere that wants to fit a helmet to you and not just sell you one. They should be interested in your safety and not just getting cash in the till. If they don’t care then walk away.

Never purchase a helmet you have not tried on…. As said above, if it does not fit right, it’s no good.

Obviously I have not tried it. It is pink and white which means I would have to paint it to a colour of my choice (hey, I'm sure there are a few 'men' bikers that like their lid pink - more power to them. I prefer a more 'non pink' colour myself :P ).

Now any, all and even partial advice will be appreciated before I part with my very hard earned cash in these tough and troubled times

to be honnest i dont think i would go for it, £100 can get you a new agv or sommat without the brand name and then you know the history and not getting someones version. siting on a table doesnot scratch a helmet so i would be wary

I would not have it mate.... If it has scratches on the surface who knows what damage it may have on the underneath.

Plus even without sunlight it may deteriote slightly.

You might also want to check if the helmet can be sprayed... Not all of them can!!

And most importantly make sure it fits!!!!

This is the helmet. I spoke with the guy who assured me it has been well looked after and that they gave up riding after having a family.

Arai Lid

The table scratch was due to it being put on its side on the table, but I only have his word about its condition and use.

I was having second thoughts when I found out it was 5 years old as it ws not advertised to be that old. But then again its an Arai and its the Rolls Royce of lids.

Oh well, maybe next year Secret Santa will give me a better present than a banana holder :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies and for moving it to the clothing section. I think I will get a new one for about that amount, maybe AGV or something or even get an Arai sticker on my current lid. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't get it myself... I mean £100 for something that's that old and then your going to have to repaint it anyway?

You can get brand new helmets from £50 so...

This one's only £60

They have it in other colors and with patterns and stuff as well.

Leave it.

If your not sure about now. What are you going to be like when you wear it on your your bike. Another distraction while riding, because it will be in the back of your mind.

Buy a helmet that fits right, looks good and your happy with.

TBH deep down inside you know what you want/are going to do.

Be warned the 5 year lifespan is there to protect you.

Plus if you want to look good in an Aria don't buy an old one with out of date colours or shape.

tbh, I was reluctant to get it, but because it was an Arai, I thought maybe I should get the opinion of better people than myself and I was right. All of the experienced and knowledgable people on these boards have said the same thing so I am quite grateful for your replies.

djt, that is some good looking lod there. Anyway, I suppose I really don't need a new lid, its just that mine is a Takachi which is absolutely brilliant in its fit and comfort but I was told that I really need an Arai or AGV because of their quality. I am happy with the Takachi for the moment but might just keep looking for a fliptop one also.

Yes but some people think the tests are not representative of the actual conditions. Also remember that standards are usually the minimum requirements so as long as items meet the minimum standards then they pass and some of those minimum standards are really low.

tbh, I was reluctant to get it, but because it was an Arai, I thought maybe I should get the opinion of better people than myself and I was right. All of the experienced and knowledgable people on these boards have said the same thing so I am quite grateful for your replies.

djt, that is some good looking lod there. Anyway, I suppose I really don't need a new lid, its just that mine is a Takachi which is absolutely brilliant in its fit and comfort but I was told that I really need an Arai or AGV because of their quality. I am happy with the Takachi for the moment but might just keep looking for a fliptop one also.

I think you have answered your own question here.

Deffo not 2nd hand. IMO

Guest philgale

Advice on buying a used Arai lid

DONT........

like others have said you dont know what history its got, i wouldnt even buy my brothers old lid off him

get out and find look for a new one, AGV do some great lids for around 80 notes

the life span on a lid is nothing to do with wether it's used. It's to to with the degradation of glues used in the lid, 5 years used or not used is long enough for most lids.

General advise is never ever buy second hand, and not online where you don't even know if it fits

Oh well, maybe next year Secret Santa will give me a better present than a banana holder :mrgreen:

at least you know the holders new :P probaby better wearing the Holder than the helmet :P

at least you know the holders new :P probaby better wearing the Holder than the helmet :P

:cheers:

DONT

You dont know the history, period. Arai can Xray their lids to check for damage, but hey, is it worth it?

You are right in wanting an Arai, I feel there is nothing finer, but try several on. Ive just bought a new un, and found one model felt horrible, but different model(same size) was perfect(really, it is a perfect fit!)

My advice, save up the Xtra 2 hundred and do it right. Ive just headbutted a tranny van at 30mph face first, and Im happily still here(hence the new lid). They are good helmets.

Imagine the cheap end helmet production line, falling of the end of the line into hjc boxes or similar. How many are checked, 1 in 100, 1 in 500, 1 in 1000?

Every arai is hand built, and check(and initialled) 3 times as its built. Thats a lot of quality control. They are made and tested to Arais exacting(race approved) standards, not some dozy government test you could get a bobble hat thru with a few bits of strategically places kevlar.

Its your head, for me its WELL worth the outlay. You can break an arm(hopefully your leathers and armour will help), you can break a foot (but your heavily armoured boots should help), but you cant reasonably break your head can you.

Rolla(off my soapbox for now)

Here's on for ya!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/agv_longway_sil.jpg

£90 with free UK delivery!!

I brought my gloves from there as well, can't remember how long it took for them to come but that just means it can't have been bad lol.

Probably best to go into a shop somewhere and try it on first see how much it is in there and if it's cheaper on the link I've showed you then go home and order it off there! :cheers:

Here's on for ya!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/agv_longway_sil.jpg

£90 with free UK delivery!!

I brought my gloves from there as well, can't remember how long it took for them to come but that just means it can't have been bad lol.

Probably best to go into a shop somewhere and try it on first see how much it is in there and if it's cheaper on the link I've showed you then go home and order it off there! :cheers:

Thats a fine looking lid. Yesterday i got a similar one (longway) brand new for £84.50 delivered. Cheers.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/0/3/5/3/0/webimg/205831664_o.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Ive just headbutted a tranny

That's how I like to spend my Thursdays as well.

rolla have you not been told before to stay out of those sort of places it only ends in tears