Honda CB1- won't start but makes fast clicking noise....

Guest markie76

Hi Guys,

My original post was regarding a suspect rectifier but I thought I should run the bike for a bit as its been standing.

I put the rectifier back in and hit the starter, first time it turned over for a bit and almost started but I gave it too much throttle too soon.

Second time I tried the starter all I got was a fast clicking noise (10 clicks a second) coming from the right hand side below the rear of the tank and behind one of the silver triangular panels. Its just the noise, the starter or engine don't seem to be turning.

Any ideas what the matter could be?

Thanks,

Mark.

I know what you mean when the battery is flat you get a single click each time you hit the starter. Now when you hold the starter it literally clicks 10 times a second, like a clicking machine gun.

So a faulty starter relay? I charged the battery the night before. :)

battery could be fuffed

its very rare its the starter relay

you got a car and some jump leads ? if so conect up to car and try and start it DO NOT START THE CAR

that will rule out the battery :)

I know what you mean when the battery is flat you get a single click each time you hit the starter. Now when you hold the starter it literally clicks 10 times a second, like a clicking machine gun.

you dont get a single click you get the relay clicking constantly :wink:

Put the choke on and bump start the bike (get a mate to push...) then ride it for a bit to warm everything up, (couple of miles)

stop the bike then try the starter again.. solenoid is working but not enough to spin up the starter motor..

again as pevious, it's most likely your battery and the fack that you've flooded the engine giving it too much throttle..

if you have got a genuine honda rectifyer then that might be the problem. i had it last year and you get the same sounds i had. i tried new batteries n all sorts but apparently honda dont make the best rectifyers and that is what i had changed and it sorted the problem. get a non honda one though should you replace.

Sounds like the battery is flat.

Yes you will get a quick clicking sound.

if its the Rectifier it wil not charge the battery when the rectifier gets hot.

What you need to do..........................

charge the battery, put an ampmeter on it and take a reading

start the bike, at idle take a reading

at 5.000 rpm take a reading (should be higher)

go for a ride 10-15 mins as soon as you get back take another reading at 5,000 rpm if its lower than than the previous reading, Its proberly the rectifier.

Normally the bike wont start while hot, but after its cooled down it starts is another sign its the rectifier.

Good Luck

I had the same problem too and it turned out that the connector between battery and rectifier had become corroded so the battery wasn't charging and the lights being on was draining the battery while I rode. I had already replaced the battery so knew that was good.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I think what has happened is my rectifier has gone and cooked my battery. Got another battery and no more clicking noise, also got another rectifier so fingers crossed I'll be back to happy biking again (once the weather warms up a bit) :lol: