Bloody u-turns!

Its the only thing thats stopping me going for my test just now. I had half a lesson doing just u-turns last week on the 500. Got them perfect. Then was practicing on my wee 125 and i am really struggling. I think my big problem is i am leaning in with the bike causing it to over lean and begin to fall. Is there any advice you guys and girls can give me to help?

Set the revs, control your speed with the clutch and rear brake... Sounds so simple dunnit!!! :roll:

I find using the rear brake really straightens the bike up and makes it easy to control.... Most of the time I do U-Turns I have the rear brake constantly on. Only lightly, but it is on....

Everyone has their own way though. Everyone says look where you want to finish, not at the curb and don't look down..... I do look down though. I stare about 2-3 metres at the road in front of me....

You will figure it out eventually...

First thing, too slow to lean, counter balance so shift your weight to the outside of the seat. To stop the bike falling into the corner bring out the clutch, it will straighten up the bike... and ride the rear brake... works every time for me.

Oh and look were you wanna go!

once i pass i'll never be doing them again! lol

I have been using a combo of throttle, clutch and rear brake, the school aint too happy at me using the brake, because its burns out quicker! lol I've seen posts about people counter balancing by shifting half their backside off of the seat, dont know if it would work tho considering im 70kg and the bike is about 180kg lol

First thing, too slow to lean, counter balance so shift your weight to the outside of the seat. To stop the bike falling into the corner bring out the clutch, it will straighten up the bike... and ride the rear brake... works every time for me.

Oh and look were you wanna go!

Guess i'm too late! Cheers rick :)

once i pass i'll never be doing them again! lol

I have been using a combo of throttle, clutch and rear brake, the school aint too happy at me using the brake, because its burns out quicker! lol I've seen posts about people counter balancing by shifting half their backside off of the seat, dont know if it would work tho considering im 70kg and the bike is about 180kg lol

Dragging the rear brake on a U-Turn ain't gonna do squat and anyone who has even the slightest bit of knowledge about slow speed control will tell you the back brake is imperative!!!!!

Not having a go at you mate, having a go at the School you are using... It's disturbing that they tell you not to use the rear brake on a U-turn.

I'll give the guys their dues, the they said if thats what it takes to pass me then thats what i need to do. They are trying to get me my test asap but need to get my u-turns spot on first. got another lesson tomorrow so all goig well with the u-turns, i'll get a test date

Don't be daft rick. All entitled to our opinion. The guys im with i can trust, theres only one other place within reasonable travellin distance and they apparently are complete cowboys. Just want to get the test over with then have a bit of fun, then a bit of further training :)

I'll give the guys their dues, the they said if thats what it takes to pass me then thats what i need to do. They are trying to get me my test asap but need to get my u-turns spot on first. got another lesson tomorrow so all goig well with the u-turns, i'll get a test date
i think you'll find it easier on the 500 as those cg125s are so light,i found it awkward to control the 125 but once on the 500 in the afternoon i was well away,just found the 500 more stable and the stronger torque means less throttle so its all about clutch control

I learned that to stop you leaning it too much, stick your left knee right into the tank, and push your right shoulder away while looking to where you want to go.

Of course this was what they told me after dropping the bike a few times :mrgreen:

All in the past now. I can do it without even thinking about it.

I had loads of trouble with U turns - found the whole counterbalancing thing unnatural, but once I started listening to the instructor properly and not listening to my own head I found it a lot easier! :roll: :lol:

I did mine on 125 and also did some on 500 - as others have said, plenty of back brake but with 125 you need plenty of revs too. I tried dropping the revs but it didn't work - only dropped me!! :oops: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

biggest tip i can give is make sure you look where you want to go and not where your going if that makes sense. once i properly started doing this is found it alot easier. Also slip the clutch to keep the revs high

But the real bitch is, once you pass you will find em dead easy!! :twisted: :twisted:

Told ya!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aha, yup, you were spot on matey! Best thing was, on the test, i got taken to a wee side street, 5mins from test centre were we done the u-tuen and controlled stop. So was glad to get it over and done with. Managed to lose the examiner at one point to in the nationals :)