Would you stop....

tinkerbell

<t>and help another biker at the side of the road?</t>  

59 members have voted

1. 1. and help another biker at the side of the road?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Just thought this would be an interesting poll to run after my trip on the bike today.

Only got about 6 miles down the road, on the parkway doing 70mph...

Road works ahead, traffic begins to slow...I brake and loose all power...bike not going anywhere...in outside lane.

3 bikes behind me..all pass me

Get over to side of road having to wait for a driver to let me across

Police car goes past

More bikes pass

Any way I was ok..phoned hubby to bring trailer.

On way home bike at side of road..we stopped to help

We were the only ones to stop...he had had loads of bikes pass him.

Is it the norm not to stop and offer help anymore?

The only times I have not stopped I am usually in the outside lane and am unable to.

During the recent snow I stopped for a moped rider who it, transpired was just too scared to carry on. As she was waiting for her husband to rescue her I gave words of encouragement before I continued to work.

I went out for a mammoth ride last Saturday when I met TimR... on the way home I passed two bikers, one of which had an "off" on the corner. I stopped, helped out etc. and even though, essentially, I was "forced" to (debris on the road), I would have stopped anyway. As far as I'm concerned we're vulnerable on two wheels and if someone looks as if they need help I'll pull over.

Now, when I'm driving I only pull over if someone has clearly broken down at night in a rural area... if nothing else to keep them company... otherwise I'll drive straight past.

I have to say that it depends on the situation...

If I'm by myself and it's a rural area I would have to give serious thought about it.

But

when I'm with other half we have done on many occasions at least slowed down until we get the thumbs up or stopped if we didn't.

When I broke down on my 600 (clutch cable went :roll: ) at least 4 bikes went past and nobody stopped :(

at least I was just the other side of town and got my kids to walk over to where I was and help me push the ruddy thing home :lol:

Yes and have done and offer this advice ( ex recovery driver )

Little tip especially for the Gentlemen who stop if it is a female in distress ...

If on bike park a small distance off (10- 20 feet ) get off bike and remove Helmet & gloves and neck warmer then stand by the bike and Ask if they need help and allow them to approach you do not go striding up straight off .....

If in car again park a small distance off and turn engine off get out of car and stand by passenger side and ask ... if dark leave sidelights/hazards on not headlights until they have agreed or disagreed to allow you to help

If they are in the vehicle do all you can to make yourself seen and not to scare them

And also if parking behind a vehicle that has broken down causing an obstruction ( in a car ) park with the wheels turned on full lock towards the nearside hedge (passenger side ) and with at least one car lengths inbetween the two vehicles so In the event that your car does get struck it has room to move and with the wheels pointing to the kerb/hedge it reduces the chances of it striking the other vehicle especially if you are working on it ( flat tyre etc )

have come across a a few who have brken down and one last year who she sadly came off on a roundabout and was physically shaken awaiting recovery and bike was in a very unsual place for a bike to park up and yet at least five other bikes has passed her by without so much as nod or a thumbs up :shock: waited with her until recovry arrived

I will always offer assistance if i can and if i think that as i pass and see it thats not good place to be etc i will turn around and come back to them and warn others as much as possible hence why i always carry a warning triangle on bike and other bits that not only help me top get going in event of breakdown but can be useful for others .....

Does not take a few minutes just to stop and ask and if they ok carry on ......

breakdown on bike try the universal helmet by back wheel sign ( used to be sign for assistance required in days gone by wether many know it anymore)

Edited by Anonymous

Some good advice there Tim.

breakdown on bike try the universal helmet by back wheel sign ( used to be sign for assistance required in days gone by wether many know it anymore)

Wasn't aware of this... so if you're broken down put your helmet by the rear wheel?

Guest Mr Miller

I couldn't offer much techy advice (ok, none!) in the event of a breakdown but if it wasn't too dodgy, then I'd pull up and check if everyone's ok or needs a phone, unbelievable I know - but some peeps don't have 'em! :roll: ) and as has been said previously, it's sometimes nice for the breakdown-ee to have someone with them!

I'd have to consider carefully in unknown/dark/dodgy looking areas though!

In my old, rose-tinted, hippy type of way, karma kinda thing - I'd like to think that others would do the same for me!

.....at least I was just the other side of town and got my kids to walk over to where I was and help me push the ruddy thing home :lol:

I'm gonna remember that one Rosie! A cracking idea........although how much help a 5 year old and a 2 year old would be is open to debate! :wink:

Wasn't aware of this... so if you're broken down put your helmet by the rear wheel?

basically yes if that is the more prominent wheel ( or front if that is better viewed .....)

as it is not a normal place to put your helmet people will notice it more ...

.....at least I was just the other side of town and got my kids to walk over to where I was and help me push the ruddy thing home :lol:

I'm gonna remember that one Rosie! A cracking idea........although how much help a 5 year old and a 2 year old would be is open to debate! :wink:

they were a bit older and helped by carrying helmet and pushing back when going up the hills .... more importantly they were company !!

they were a bit older and helped by carrying helmet and pushing back when going up the hills .... more importantly they were company !!

did they learn any new words that day ??

did they learn any new words that day ??

erm, erm, thinks :!:

nope ~ had said them all when the 4 bikes passed without stopping before they got there :lol:

I did put my helmet by my rear wheel :crybaby:

Another one i've been told: If out of petrol put your helmet on the tank (as long as it's not windy).

in the event of a breakdown but if it wasn't too dodgy, then I'd pull up and check if everyone's ok or needs a phone, unbelievable I know - but some peeps don't have 'em!

I don't always have a phone/or credit...so stopping just to other that is great.

The instructor lost me the day of my test, no phone and it took almost half an hour to flag someone down to use there phone. A women stopped, stayed in her car with the window down very lighty. I gave her all the details and she made the call, she then passed me the phone when it clicked I wasn't going nowhere!

:love: you guy's & gal's :3some:

Some good points raised.

yep, I stop.

Last time twas a learner pushing his CBR125, i stopped to help him push his bike to a safe spot, and stayed with him til his mum arrived (with petrol lol )

I don't understand the younger generations language though.... apparently my bike is 'phat' ??? or 'fat'?? :D:D

It appears a lot of peeps don't stop though. Not in my personal experience, everytime I have ever been parked up on the bike (obviously not a parking spot).. A biker has always stopped. As a result, i do!

I would stop to help out if I could and I have had others help me

Early 80's

When I had my first ever bike it broke down in Fareham and I still had some 10 miles or more to get to my home which was in Waterlooville

Started walking lid in hand after getting permisson to leave the bike in a service station.

A guy pulls up on a GS1000 and took me home, to my doorstep.

FFWD

About 4 months ago I was on way home in the dark on the A27 past Chichester

A car came flying up flashing headlamps at me

The guy had chased me for some miles to tell me that my rear bulb had blown

He followed me to service station so that I could buy a replacement. The service station was a few miles off of his route, and he did it to make sure that no-one hit me from behind.

What a star

Tim,

Interesting tips there, Assisting females.

Whereas I stop for any bikes I have not stopped for a female with a broken down cage for more than a few years, I make no apologies for that but it is a sign of the times that I have become more worried about any comeback than the well being of a female. No apologies but I am embarrassed. :oops:

Will use your tips and once again be chilvarious.

I was on an IAM course with two liveried Police bikes when we passed a lone female pushing her bike.

I stopped, totally throwing the bobbies off kilter, but one of them went back and made sure she was OK before we continued.

When I ran out of fuel last year a biker gave me a lift to the nearest petrol stn and back - so I would do the same.

Some really good points here, I would stop if it wasn't rural and I felt safe enough especially if it was a woman own on her own and would like to think also someone would stop for me. But as some of you say in this day and age you have to be so careful

Little tip especially for the Gentlemen who stop if it is a female in distress ...

If on bike park a small distance off (10- 20 feet ) get off bike and remove Helmet & gloves and neck warmer then stand by the bike and Ask if they need help and allow them to approach you do not go striding up straight off .....

If in car again park a small distance off and turn engine off get out of car and stand by passenger side and ask ... if dark leave sidelights/hazards on not headlights until they have agreed or disagreed to allow you to help

Brilliant advice there ........... and well worth taking notice of.

If I am out with my husband then we will stop and help if we can .......no point me stopping on my own as I know feck all about how to get a bike going if it has stopped. lol. :?

I wouldn't because

A) My bike probably wouldn't start again if I stopped!

and

B) I doubt I would be able to help anyway.

But if my bike was behaving it self and I wasn't in a rush I probably would pull over and see if there was anything I could do to help.

I wouldn't because

and

I always stop because even if you are unable to mechanically help in the event of a breakdown or something, it may just be the use of your mobile or directions to the nearest garage/petrol station etc. that could help :)

I wouldn't because

and

I always stop because even if you are unable to mechanically help in the event of a breakdown or something, it may just be the use of your mobile or directions to the nearest garage/petrol station etc. that could help :)

:lol: I never have credit for myself! but I guess directions could be needed for some one not from around the area.