Suzuki 750 rebuild

djrose007

Sounds like that bike wants wheeling off a cliff! I thought my Zephyr was bad when I got it to bits and found rust everywhere....but cable ties holding the frame together?! Different league.

Well, I was looking for a challenge, and a learning experience. I've liked bikes in the past but never had much to do with them mechanically. Had an excellent Honda guy in Burnham (Nr Maidenhead) who did great things with my old CB250 Superdream but I'd like to learn all about them myself. I guess this is a good way to learn, getting a disaster of a bike working would be pretty cool. I've got a load of old bolts lying around in my garage that would sort out the missing bolts, already done the ones for the battery holder, you may be able to see the shiny bits on the new photos I've posted on photobucket (link earlier in the thread).

More good advice Frankie, thanks for that. I did remove a bit from the bottom of the tank but not sure what the hell it is. Sort of a rectangular block on the end of a very rusty bit of thin metal rod! I'll try getting the switch and cap off as well this weekend but pretty solid at the moment.

Hi Frankie, I did not explain it very well. The bit I was looking at was from inside the tank.

When you turn the tank over there is two round removable sections. One is the tap and fuel pipes, the other is a round plate that has 4 small bolts which, when removed, comes off along with the metal rod and the block from inside the tank.

Maybe it's something to do with the breather?

Just managed to secure a 'best offer' deal on a good tank off e-bay. It's the red and white one that was at £120 but as he'd had it a while, and it was not selling, he generously accepted a low offer. Hope to get that during next week.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Not made a lot of progress due to other 'Household Projects'. My wife said she'd find me plenty to do when I was made redundant, she wasn't kidding!

I've been poking around getting familiar with bits and pieces, got the plugs out to check them out etc. but not yet managed to get the engine fired up due to the above. Expecting a fuel tank to arrive in the next couple of days (From Daley's Dirtbikes on ebay).

I have started a blogsite at http://djrose007-gsx750f.blogspot.com/ where I'm recording what I'm doing. It is slow at the moment but I always knew it would be.

Cheers for now

Dave

• 1 year later...

Here we are over a year later, the garage is slowly clearing and I can, at least, get around the bike. I've moved it back to the middle of the garage.

Decided that I need to remove the cover from the side of the engine so I can get to that nut so I can make sure the engine is turning and the pistons moving. First mistake, not bad considering it's the first thing I really done to it, is that I did the wrong side. Took out the allen bolts and oil started peeing out of the bottom! It was quite slow to start with so managed to get a bowl underneath!

Thought 'what the hell' and took the sump bolt out as well to drain all the oil. It was the colour of mud and looked decidedly yukky so probably just as well.

Next job is to take the correct side off and see how that goes.

I am updating the blog, it's still going to be slow as there's still furniture to get rid off when my RAF daughter gets back from the Qatar, and son-in-law from Afghanistan (he's had a very rough time but at least he's still got all his limbs which is surprising considering the patrols he's been on with the Mercian's and Gurkhas).

Thanks Walney Frankie for the workshop book, it's already been invaluable and it's going to be a huge boon to me in the coming months (years!).

Dave if you need any help, advice then pop into oldskoolsuzuki, - infoboard - oil cooled, what the guys dont know about the oil burners, isnt worth knowing... glad you and yours are safe and well and wish them both a safe and speedy recovery from deployed Ops.

• 5 months later...
Thanks WF, I've posted a question on the OldSkool forum - http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bi ... 80690772/0 and well as introducing myself at http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bi ... 1280608458

Cheers

Dave

pop into OSS looks like the subbies been cut and the lock moved forward.,

I feel a real Fraud with this 'Rebuild' which is will be 2 years old this coming April!

There was a couple of months, last year, when I thought I was really going to get started and I did clean the carbs etc. but still didn't manage to get it started but since then my RAF daughter has moved and the garage is again stuffed with furniture since last September!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH !

What I'm hoping for is that when it starts to warm up I'll drag it outside so I can do something with it without the danger of coffee tables and boxes falling on my bloody head!

I'll let you know when I start again but I think the first thing I'll be doing is putting the frame back together. It's in three parts - the main part which is intact but the rear frame has been cut into two as well so I've got the round and square tubing to slide the bits onto. I've tried this 'dry' and it all fits together. Thinking of using Halfrauds 'Steel Weld' to slide them on with but need to have them welded as well to ensure the strength is there.

Thanks for the advice, and patience, so far. Just wanted to let you know I'm still alive and kicking!

Cheers Megawatt, I'll remember that. I'm not too practical with mechanics so the bike was not only a rebuild project but meant as a learning machine for me. I think I may have bitten off too much though but I'll see how it goes.

• 3 months later...

And now my Son, daughter in law and two grandsons are living with us in Gloucester after deciding they really don't like living in Birmingham. At least he's got a job offer to start at a new school in September.

As a consequence their house will be going on the market but it also means that, on top of our RAF daughters stuff, all of their furniture is going to be coming down here.

I GIVE UP, and severely peed off about it as I felt I could have a go at it but it's been over two years now and you can see from the blog that I've spent money but not been able to work on it with any conviction due to the coming and going of garage contents!

I'm asking a friend if anyone in his motorbike group (Stroud/Stonehouse area) might be interested in it.

So far what I've obtained and spent is as follows:

Bike Reg is F627JRR and I've currently got it SORN but I've got a replacement registration document, which cost me about £25.00!

Original Bike - £150

Fuel Tank - £80 (including p&p) Original was rusted right through.

Clock Cluster - £30

Clock mount bracket - £15

Rear Subframe - £30 (I think this was a waste of money though but will include in box of bits if anyone wants the bike. Box will also include other bits like mudguard, a light that I was going to use etc).

New oil filter & sump plug - £10

'T Pot' seat - £50

Tubing for rear end - £11

Total £376

Any offers?

http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/Suzuki%20GSX750F%20Rebuild/

http://djrose007-gsx750f.blogspot.com/

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/Suzuki%20GSX750F%20Rebuild/IMG_1733.jpg

Hi Fozzie, I've no idea what sort of mileage the bike has done as there was no clock when I got it.

No fairing, other than the bottom front guard and mudguards, but there is a big chrome headlamp that came with it.

It was in an awful state when I got it as you can read at the blog link and see at the photos link. Previous bloke had sprayed it all matt black, even over the oil window!

Tyres and chain are ok but the back end was cut off to make a Street Fighter bike. I've got round and square tubing to put it all back together but haven't done it yet. I was going to use 'Steel Weld' resin plus get a mate to weld it for strength. The tubing should make it strong enough unless whoever has it wants to keep the back end off anyway.

Engine appears to be good but I have not managed to get it started, due to the problems in my last post. I didn't strip the carbs right down but have had them off and soaked in carb cleaner liquid. They look clean but I think a carb overhaul kit wouldn't go amiss. At least one of the O rings needs replacing.

Registration is F627JRR making it a 1988/89 model.

It's a big rebuild job and apart from my continual comings and goings in the garage I just don't have the expertise to do it. I was definitely biting off more than I can chew!

Edit addition - It's been in my garage for two years and the previous guy said he'd had it under cover in his back garden for a couple of years.

Last tax disc on it is 2007.

Its an interesting build as though there is an awful lot to do if the engine, carbs and electrics are all there and seem to be fixable then for nearly £400 it seems like I could give it a crack without much chance of losing out on too much!

Let me just evaluate my finances and garage space :lol:

Ah, you mentioned electrics. There's a loom and bits, but I have no idea how much of it is operative.

I do know that the engine turns over with the battery charged up.

Make sure you take a good look at the photos at the link. I would love it if someone who knows what they are doing can restore it but I don't want to mislead anyone as to the condition.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put this up for sale but doesn't look like there are any takers so I'm now looking for a replacement set of carbs.

Anyone got these for a 1989 GSX750FK?

I'll be looking for other stuff eventually but I thought that I had reached the end of the line with it, due to finances, but I don't spend it on much else so here we go...!

• 1 year later...

Can you believe that after all of this time I'm getting back to this project. Don't know if I'll ever finish it but I'm really enjoying it anyway.

After getting a load of stuff, I was after a pair of exhausts but the guy was selling a lot of fairing, headlight and clock cluster, rear light, exhausts and other bits and pieces so I jumped at it and bought up the lot. Maybe my wife was right when she said it was not so much a rebuild project more of a moneypit project!!

Anyway, Son and family have moved out, I've sorted the garage enough to be able to work around the bike and started putting on the pipes to get some compression. Hopefully the engine will kick into life next time I try it.

I've started to update the blog as well, moved it from Blogspot to Wordpress: http://djrose007.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/1989-suzuki-gsx750fk-rebuild/‎

Suzuki OldSkool forum is down at the moment but I'll put a note on there as well as I've had lots of great advice from people on that forum as well.

Fingers crossed, here we go again!

• 1 month later...

In case anyone is still attached to this thread I started a new one as it's been so long since I was able to do anything.

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=47257&p=771751#p771751

Most updates are through the blog though.

Long URL

http://djrose007.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/1989-suzuki-gsx750fk-rebuild/

Short URL

http://wp.me/p19fTH-12