Spectacled Folk

Guest Andybear

Guest akey

Its ok with most helmets, but will depend on your head shape, the helmet type/shape and the frames of your glasses to be honest.

Shoei helments have a cut out specifically for this, so its worth having a look at them if you can.

I would suggest going to a dealer and trying a whole load of lids on and see which ones feel ok with glasses in.

I'm lucky in 1 respect that I can actually see OK (well enough to pass the eye sight test) without my glasses.

A friend however found that the helmet pushed his glasses around and made them uncomfortable, so when he got his prescription updated, picked up a cheap second pair which were more curved (almost like sun glasses), and trimmed the arms so that they just rested on the tops of his ears. This stopped all the discomfort. He had the reactor light lenses as well, to offer some sun protection.

Like Akey said - try different helmets on with your glasses to see which fits best.

as akey said try different helmets on but also when buying new specs do as i do and take your helmet with you lol. looks strange and is a pain in the arse and yes you do end up with sore ears but you end up with a perfic fit :D

Try getting specs with the arms that have flex both ways at the hinge - it gives them a bit more movement and helps them to stay still

If that sounds like gobbledigook, let me know and I'll try to explain :-)

Try getting specs with the arms that have flex both ways at the hinge - it gives them a bit more movement and helps them to stay still

If that sounds like gobbledigook, let me know and I'll try to explain :-)

I know what you mean :wink:

Most of the time I wear contacts when out on the bike, not because they are more comfortable (though they are) but because it's a pain in the arse to take of the glasses every time I need to remove my helmet.

I use them daily with a shoei raid II.

I've found that helmets are a little tough on glasses and that some frames work better than others. For me, plastic frames seem more comfy than thinner wire frames, which I wouldn't have expected. I have contacts too, but I usually wear glasses.

My girlfriend wears glasses (Shoei Raid II as well), but mostly only as a pillion.

When riding she finds contacts are better for two reasons. Taking your lid on and off is a hassle with glasses and she says she needs to move her head to see the clocks when wearing glasses, but with contacts you can just glance down - this will probably vary with the design of you specs though - she is pretty short sighted though, if you're not quite so blind you might be fine.

Found this - no idea on cost or effectiveness, but thought you might be interested. Bet they're more than contacts!

http://www.buxleyfarmhouse.com/Plockton/visor.htm

Just read this, then went back to the referring webpage which says...

Ronnie had turned up minus his usual glasses and spent the weekend convincing people that he was actually using a prescription visor. Naturally we couldn't let this wind-up go un-noted and a suitable article appeared in the next issue of Twistgrip. To enjoy it click here.

Does that mean its a clockwork visor? :P

Never had a problem wearing specs. Prefer them to contacts on the bike. They act as a second line of defence for the eye if you have to raise the visor. An eye full of grit or dust or a midge in the eye wearing contacts is not pleasant. I choose my specs bearing in mind I wear a helmet.

I find the very small ones let too much air turbulence into the eye and the new fashioned thick armed frames obscure peripheral vision. 8-)

i went to a bike shop today to have a look around, put some prices together and try some gear on.

found a few helmets that i really liked and were fine with glasses.

i just found it was easier to put on a flip up felmet thant it was a full face one.

really need to get the money together so i can do this :x