Lifesavers and when to do them?

Guest Ayianoullou

Hi i was just wondering when lifesavers have to be used in the test and over which shoulder you should look for different turns/ manouvers ect. Also when should you check your mirrors, should this be done whenever you do a lifesaver?

Cheers

a Lifesaver is a kind of shoulder check, its the one you do whenever you are crossing the path of traffic. So when youre turning right for example or just before you commit to the u turn. As for other shoulder checks, you should always be doing them when youre changing your position on the road whether it be inside your lane to pass parked cars or to go round a bus on the opposite side of the road. Mirrors should be checked before the shoulder check. Sof if youre coming up to a parked car and need to move out, youd check mirror, check shoulder, move out then check mirror, check shoulder, move in.

As for which shoulder to check, you need to check the direction in which youre moving, so moving right, then its right shoulder and vice versa. If youre having lessons then ask youre instructor as well :thumb:

Im sure someone will pick me up on anything i have forgotten to mention!

EDIT: Basically this is what Matt's said above, but in irritating detail (!).

Off the top of my head I think lifesavers (for the test anyway) are:

- when leaving a roundabout, check right shoulder

- when changing lanes on a roundabout

- when changing lanes on a dual carriageway (motorway when 'out in the field' on your own!)

- just before moving out for an overtake on a single carriageway (after a mirror check)

- when turning right into a road

- when positioning left before a left turn (check for cyclists, etc)

- when pulling in to stop at the side of the road (again to check for cyclists, pedestrians, rare life forms, etc.)

- when on a dual carriageway (motorway 'in the field and on your own') and passing a slip road check your mirror and do a lifesaver to make sure no one wants to kill you

- before commencing a u-turn (mirror, lifesaver)

Mirror checks:

- when moving off (just before a lifesaver)

- when changing lanes (mirror, signal, LIFESAVER, maneuver)

- when overtaking (again mirror, signal, LIFESAVER, maneuver)

- before turning in (again mirror, signal, lifesaver, position and a final lifesaver before turning in)

- when you're on a dual carriageway (motorway 'in the field and on your own', check your mirror when passing a slip road, lifesaver as well)

- generally every now and then just to refresh yourself with what's going on behind (and to show him that you're paying attention!)

- before commencing a u-turn (mirror, lifesaver)

Don't let the seemingly large amount of times you have to check scare you. It's all part of a routine, the examples above are just that - examples. It's all loosely based on the police system of riding (Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration) and the lifesaver and mirror observations fit in nicely with the information stage. Don't get confused by all the police system stuff, it's not needed for the test and all you need to know is basically to do a lifesaver when you think there could be something in your blindspot. That's basically all there is to it. If you check your blindspot everytime something could be in it and you're about to move into it, you'll be OK. As you can see above the lifesaver and mirror check often happen next to each other (mirror first), it's good to remember that.

Why check your right shoulder when leaving a roundabout?

Why check your right shoulder when leaving a roundabout?

Because if you've moved across to the left lane/positioned left on a roundabout for your exit (shut the gap off) there's still a gap to your right where someone could try to overtake and cut in. The Police handbook recommends that you 'consider the lifesaver' whereas on the test it's essential.

But to exit a roundabout your crossing traffic to the left, so you look left to make sure your not being under taken. You only look the way you are going, where it will affect you. If you look right when exiting thn you are not looking where all the danger to yourself is coming from

But to exit a roundabout your crossing traffic to the left, so you look left to make sure your not being under taken. You only look the way you are going, where it will affect you. If you look right when exiting thn you are not looking where all the danger to yourself is coming from

If you're on a larger roundabout (2 or more lanes) and are going right at the roundabout you'd need to initially position yourself in the right lane. At the penultimate exit to yours you should "mirror, signal, shoulder check left" and move across to the left lane ready for the exit (move left early to "shut that gap off" so no one can undertake, making you go round again). As you've positioned left, you've left a gap to your right where another vehicle can (and has done on me!) try to rush through and take the same exit as you but cut across you just as you're turning in. So giving a final quick right lifesaver will let you know if anyone's trying to do that.

EDIT: on a smaller, single lane roundabout only a left lifesaver is required, because you're all the way across to the right until you need to come off anyway.

If you're on a larger roundabout (2 or more lanes) and are going right at the roundabout you'd need to initially position yourself in the right lane. At the penultimate exit to yours you should "mirror, signal, shoulder check left" and move across to the left lane ready for the exit (move left early to "shut that gap off" so no one can undertake, making you go round again). As you've positioned left, you've left a gap to your right where another vehicle can (and has done on me!) try to rush through and take the same exit as you but cut across you just as you're turning in. So giving a final quick right lifesaver will let you know if anyone's trying to do that.

EDIT: on a smaller, single lane roundabout only a left lifesaver is required, because you're all the way across to the right until you need to come off anyway.

You got the first bit right, but the right shoulder check is completly wrong. As you have left the roundabout you will be about to accelerate. And before any change of speed you will be doing a mirror check. which is sufficiant on test and CBT and for your normal riding

:stupid:

I was taught to give a right shoulder check for the reasons above. I do it so I leave myself plenty of time to re-assess my exit (which I had already checked before doing the right shoulder check.)

You got the first bit right, but the right shoulder check is completly wrong. As you have left the roundabout you will be about to accelerate. And before any change of speed you will be doing a mirror check. which is sufficiant on test and CBT and for your normal riding

True, but we're talking about before leaving the roundabout. Before even getting to the exit a right lifesaver should be given, as I've said to make sure no one has crept up the right side in the time you've moved from right to left.

Anyway, this is just for the DAS test (or restricted A class). More advanced riders are expected to put in less lifesavers because they should have a better check on their surroundings anyway. And the more miles under the belt the more the advanced rider will know when a lifesaver is not necessary. I think on the DAS test (or restricted A class) the examiner wants to see that you are sticking to a ridgid riding system/routine, whereas on an advanced test they'll be looking more for intelligent riding (no I'm not saying non-advanced riders are stupid!). The main thing is to use common sense. The idea that "if someone could be in my blindspot I should check it" is a good one to have in mind in any riding circumstance.

Edited by Pete

Well i've been riding for 30+ years, 28 with a full lisence, and never done a right LS leaving a roundabout

Aha! We're talking about how to pass the test, not what we end up doing when out on the road. The modern test requires (and CBT as Mart has said) that they be given. However, as you've said you don't do them, and like I said before the more advanced rider will be able to decide when it is or is not necessary to use the lifesaver (by advanced I mean has an advanced certificate, or has been riding long enough to have experience).

Some people believe that giving lifesavers should not be carried out at all. They think that if you have to check over your shoulder then you're not fully aware of your surroundings all of the time. I think that's a bit right-wing, but the idea of not putting so many lifesavers in because it takes focus away from what's happening ahead is popular amongst Police riders (and therefore amongst institutions that use the Police handbook as a guide. IAM, RoSPA...).

I understand where you're coming from now, Pete. I thought you were saying that the right hand lifesaver was not necessary for the test, but I think what you mean is that it's not always necessary in 'real-life' situations?

Don't overdo the Lifesavers........ Lifesavers are your Blindspot Checks.....

Remember your mirrors give a lot of information if used regularly!

Mirrors Recommended every 8-10 seconds...

Lifesavers certainly Moving off from side of road, Major to Minor right turn, Lane changes, Overtaking large stationary objects, Turning right at a roundabout (Left Lifesaver), Straight on at a roundabout (Right Lifesaver) and your special excersises like U-Turn and Emergency Stop.

However at any given point of your riding, if the mirrors don't give you the information you need, turn that head around!

One day it will do exactly what it says on the tin Save your Life!!

I first got on a bike in 1973, so there is a few Lifesavers under my belt :D

Hows that Vicki?