DAS THIRD day

I had the first day of my DAS today and things did not go well. I stalled on a roundabout, got rained on and the instructor was yelling in my ear the whole time. I have my part one test on Weds and part 2 is on Thursday. Its going to be ages before I get the cash saved to do a retake. :crybaby:

I did learn that my dream of a CBR600 RR really is just a dream. I would have to have been a cat today to have survived the amount of near fatal accidents I would have caused on a pocket rocket.

It was also nice to be "nodded" at by other bikers on the road. Something that never happens on my trusty scoot.

Oh well, I wonder how ill get on tomorrow...............................................

Edited by urbanmark

Totally agree with Techno. Just chillax, everyone makes some booboos on the first day of the DAS - if you didn't then there'd be no need to take the course!

It really, really pees me off how instructors get all angry at students. My bike instructor was the same and liked to 'raise his voice' shall we say. I had a polite word with him on my second day and pointed out that "no I wasn't taking the piss. If I wanted to take the piss I wouldn't be paying you £600 quid first. Please remember that I'm paying you to teach me a new skill which is hard enough without someone shouting at me when I don't get it right all the time". I made a point of how he was on my u-turns, but that never changed. All I remembered on my test whilst doing the u-turn is "NO! NO! NO! You're NOT GOING to pass the TEST, DOING, IT, LIKE, THAAAAT!"...so I failed the test because I had that in mind all the way round! Anyway, the quite word worked for me but best to judge the guy's (or girl's) character first.

I bet you'll go out tomorrow and have a cracking day after sleeping on it. You're learning new skills and your brain hasn't ever done them before, so give it a chance to sink in. You'll be spot on when test day comes round, no drama.

Thats exactly what it was like!

I did think about a word with him, but I got the opinion he could not give a poo if I passed or not. Shouting at me was what got him through the day.

He was nice to the lady student though.

Cheers for the nice post!

I had the first day of my DAS today and things did not go well. I stalled on a roundabout, got rained on and the instructor was yelling in my ear the whole time. I have my part one test on Weds and part 2 is on Thursday. Its going to be ages before I get the cash saved to do a retake. :crybaby:

I did learn that my dream of a CBR600 RR really is just a dream. I would have to have been a cat today to have survived the amount of near fatal accidents I would have caused on a pocket rocket.

It was also nice to be "nodded" at by other bikers on the road. Something that never happens on my trusty scoot.

Oh well, I wonder how ill get on tomorrow...............................................

Hey, sounds like your talking yourself into failing already? Remember you are paying this Guy, to teach you and pass your tests, so question everything, and I mean everything!

He should be getting the best out of you, not shouting at you!

If an Instructor shouts at you, it is because he does not know how to handle/deal with the situation!!

Goo :D d Luck any way

Day two was amazing. I now think passing mod 1 is a 50/50.

Today we focused more on the mod one exercises. On the emergency stop I locked the back wheel and the bike skidded about 30ft. Now that might not seem a lot to you guys and gals, but to a bloke who has only ever skidded a pushbike it felt pretty amazing. When I turned round and saw the black line in the road i couldnt help but smile. I felt quite proud. The instructor was not impressed but amazingly, he did'nt shout?!? If I forget to exadgerate my head movement when looking in my mirror before breaking he goes mental, Leave half the back tyre in cemetary road (great road for emergency stop training!) and all I got was stern words and the silent treatment as he had to sit down and have a fag!??

One of my fellow students failed mod one today for going through the speed trap at 1mph below the required limit on her second try!?!! WTF?!?!?! 1 MPH!?!?!

Test is tomorrow at 10.20 am. If I fail I reckon it will be on the U turn or figure of 8 for a foot down.......................................

Somehow i have fluked passing the Mod 1. The best rider in our group failed as she hit a cone on the swerve. Strange this testing malarky. Its nothing to do with skill just how nervous you are on the day.

Mod two tomorrow at 9.20am

I am now lifesaver chin to shouldering between each breath, as its been drummed into me so hard.

If I pass, I will announce the new DAS text a mockery.

Nice one Mark. Just think about your own riding and you'll do alright. You've got the hardest part out of the way now, and I hope the ride tomorrow is nice. The ride back after the test (pass or fail) is so nice! It's a brilliant feeling to have all the weight off your mind...if you do pass it's even better!

My instructor is a top bloke. We got chatting today and it turns out he knows my Dad. First day my ear was bleeding with the profanity. Today, he was singing the "wheels on the bus go round and round" as I tried not to mow the pedestrians down in the high street at school closing time. He reckons hes a jedi and im his "padwan"?

My instructor is a top bloke. We got chatting today and it turns out he knows my Dad. First day my ear was bleeding with the profanity. Today, he was singing the "wheels on the bus go round and round" as I tried not to mow the pedestrians down in the high street at school closing time. He reckons hes a jedi and im his "padwan"?

A little worrying.... :shock: :lol:

:lol: IVE PASSED!!!!! THE TEST IS FLAWED!!!!!! :lol:

2 minors? I went round a roundabout twice.............TWICE!!!!!! THATS TWICE ROUND TWO ROUNDABOUTS?!!!?!? The examiner was laughing in my ear and saying "do you really like roundabouts or can you not count? (The exits)" I went round again as I was in the wrong lane for the turning he wanted me to take. LOL!

Phew, now I just need to blow my wad on a bike?

:lol: IVE PASSED!!!!! THE TEST IS FLAWED!!!!!! :lol:

2 minors? I went round a roundabout twice.............TWICE!!!!!! THATS TWICE ROUND TWO ROUNDABOUTS?!!!?!? The examiner was laughing in my ear and saying "do you really like roundabouts or can you not count? (The exits)" I went round again as I was in the wrong lane for the turning he wanted me to take. LOL!

Phew, now I just need to blow my wad on a bike?

Hahaha... examiner with a sense of humour! As long as you did the manoeuvre safely then you're ok. Simple as. I went wrong on my test, I was asked to turn right at the first roundabout then left and the second and I got it into my head I should turn right at the second too. I still passed cos I moved across three lanes of traffic having looked plenty and signalled properly. I then stalled twice, but stayed calm and I honestly think he didn't notice. He ended up guiding me all the way around the roundabout saying "the car drivers won't expect you to go all the way around so let me go in front then you can pass me." Nice guy really! At the debrief after the test he didn't even mention it!

Well done though! Best feeling in the world! I didn't stop jumping up and down on the spot for about an hour after I passed! Yay!