Filtering

wannars125

Guest nastro azzurro
Just glad my daily ride is motorway all the way.

:shock: I'd be horrified and looking for a different way!

:stupid: :lol:

With regards to filtering though... I find it a whole lot easier since getting my Aprilia with mi (Still Legal) Honest Guv) Cans on :lol: That and the fact the ground shakes so the cars can feel me coming.... 8-)

Seriously though...... When i approach a car i position myself so am in his door mirror..... They usually see you then....... If they mave over great.... if not, At least they know you are there.

So, if the cars are close to the central line of the road, do you filter in the opposite lane ?

I think at times I could be filtering more than I do, but am maybe over cautious (nothing wrong with that at times but).

And then if you get to the front, you might still be in the opposite side , even slightly ?

Do you ever filter up the inside ?

If so, do you then cut in front of the lead car or sit alongside ?

Ok in my mind I have one junction in particular, which veers right after the lights.

I am also wary of filtering on the motorway, although I have done it once.

I'm getting a bit more cautious confidence thanks to all the advice. I filtered past a queue this morning seeing the lead car was positioned quite a way to the left. I pulled up beside him but slightly forward to assure he could see me. Pulled away no problem.

Guest nastro azzurro

Think i got confused . com then..... I kind of answered about overtaking.....

Am not big on town riding..... But each set of circumstance is different. They may be room to straddle or even cross over the lines in some places, where in others there wont be the room or its just plain dangerous.

End of the day, you read the road how you see it. Some peeps can do this quicker than others. This does in NO WAY mean they are better than you. If you dont think you can make the manouvre DONT do it. Simples..... :D

Ride within your own limits.

One thing I do is stay one gear lower than would be comfortable at the speed I'm travelling at. That way, if I need to slow down quick then I've got tonnes of engine breaking. Plus, if I'm pulling into a gap between cars it means I'm not slamming my brakes on which might annoy the driver behind.

PD, be careful when you go up to lights because technically you're not meant to go in front of the first vehicle. It would take a particularly jobsworthy copper to pull you over for that though!

EDIT: great thread though.

So, if the cars are close to the central line of the road, do you filter in the opposite lane ?

I think at times I could be filtering more than I do, but am maybe over cautious (nothing wrong with that at times but).

And then if you get to the front, you might still be in the opposite side , even slightly ?

Do you ever filter up the inside ?

If so, do you then cut in front of the lead car or sit alongside ?

Ok in my mind I have one junction in particular, which veers right after the lights.

I am also wary of filtering on the motorway, although I have done it once.

i cross over the line if it's a wide road, and i can see if there's any cars approacing from the opposite direction.

i VERY rarely filter up the inside, only if i were to turn left and if the turning in mention is close. drivers wouldn't expect to see a motorbike on their left. imagine if they had to move over to the left due to a parked car on the other side of the road and oncoming traffic swerving around it. they'd crush you, on the right you have room to get around, on the left, you'd just go straight into the gutter.

i try and sit evenly with the front car at lights, but accelerate to get in front of them when they go green (not cutting anyone up ofcourse)

just need to look for junctions, cars turning right, cars entering your lane and swinging out (vans etc), looking for parked cars up ahead to see if cars will move out to avoid it. pedestrians walking in between cars and stuff

One thing I do is stay one gear lower than would be comfortable at the speed I'm travelling at. That way, if I need to slow down quick then I've got tonnes of engine breaking. Plus, if I'm pulling into a gap between cars it means I'm not slamming my brakes on which might annoy the driver behind.

PD, be careful when you go up to lights because technically you're not meant to go in front of the first vehicle. It would take a particularly jobsworthy copper to pull you over for that though!

EDIT: great thread though.

I thought that was only when at pedestrian crossings/zebra crossings but normal junctions you can filter to the front but NOT go over the white line. Although as said, I do go over the white line to make a point.

i try and sit evenly with the front car at lights, but accelerate to get in front of them when they go green (not cutting anyone up ofcourse)

The problem I've found with doing that is that you can turn it into a race rather than just a rapid departure. I was surprised at one time by a couple of cars who were faster than I expected and although I was able to leave them in my dust it was the first time I felt my front wheel lift into a wheelie in my haste to leave them in said dust. I much prefer to now place the front of my bike over the white line AND in front of the car so they know I'm in that lane.

One of the main benefits of riding a motorcycle is the fact that unlike our 4 wheeled counterparts, when we come upon lines of stationary traffic, we can still make progress and filter through towards the front of the queue. Filtering has been the cause of many a debate over the years with many arguing about the legitimacy of such an action. So what is the legal position?

Well for those of you who are unsure, let me ask you a question! What is filtering? In simple terms it is an overtaking manoeuvre, and in most cases it is perfectly legal provided:

You don't cross over or straddle a solid centre white line system.

You don't overtake after a 'No Overtaking' sign.

You do not overtake the lead vehicle within the confines of the zigzags of a pedestrian/pelican crossing as it may have stopped to allow pedestrians to cross.

No danger is caused to other road users and no vehicle is caused to alter course or speed.

So in short, providing those 4 conditions are complied with then there shouldn't be a problem, however when it comes to accidents, civil liability can paint a somewhat different picture.

When a motorcyclist is involved in a filtering accident, most insurance companies will try and use the case law of Powell v Moody which dates back to 1966 to mitigate their losses. In that case a motorcyclist was overtaking a line of stationary traffic and was found to be 80% to blame when he hit a car which was 'inching out' into the carriageway after a milk tanker signalled to him to pull out. The court felt that the motorcyclist was undertaking an 'operation' which is fraught with great hazard and which needed to be carried out with great care.

In the case of Clarke v Whinchurch in 1969, an overtaking motorcyclist (Moped) in similar circumstances was found to be 100% to blame. The judge ruled that he (the motorcyclist) should have realised something was happening up ahead when a bus in a line of slow moving traffic stopped to let a vehicle out from a side road on his left. The car came out quite slowly in front of the bus and was hit by the moped. (f you are ever involved in a filtering accident, you probably won't want to quote this case to the other side).

In more recent cases (Leeson v Bevis Transport 1972) the motorcycle and emerging vehicle were found equally responsible. The court said that the motorcyclist did nothing wrong in overtaking the line of stationary vehicles, but needed to keep an effective lookout, whilst the van driver should have been aware of the possibility of vehicles overtaking in this way.

The most recent case of this kind was in 1980 in the case of Worsford v Howe. In this instance the motorcyclist was in a separate lane intended for vehicles turning right, when he was hit by a car which was intending to cross both lanes of traffic and turn right. The court found once again that both rider and driver were equally to blame and settled 50/50, however this was superceded by DAVIS - v - SCHROGIN (2006) which found 100% in favour of the filtering motorcyclist.

In filtering cases, the court will when deciding who is to blame will look at:

The speed and position of the motorcycle in the road.

Whether the stream of traffic was stationary or moving.

How fast the other vehicle emerged from the side road or from the line of traffic.

Filtering is an accepted and legitimate practice, and unless there is a case of dangerous or careless driving to answer, or one of the 4 conditions mentioned previously have been breached, then it is very rare that a Police prosecution will follow, but in terms of a civil action, then this is where the real headache can begin.

As it stands at the moment, although some of the most recent cases have found both parties equally responsible, and in some cases they courts have found 100% in favour of the motorcyclist, you have to bear in mind that you could still end up bearing 80% or even 100% of the blame depending on the evidence.

So to sum up, filtering in most cases is perfectly legal, is accepted as being a benefit of riding a motorcycle and is something that just about every rider has done at some stage without any problems, but, should you be unfortunate to have a collision whilst filtering, then just be aware of the pitfalls you are likely to encounter until such time as current case law is updated again.

• 2 months later...

sittin in a line ft traffic approaching a roundabout today at the fiveways on queens drive in liverpool maybe 10 cars in front and less than that behind me some plonker went through us at some fu*kin speed (and I do mean fast) if any thing would have happened he wouldn’t have stood a chance sometimes people for whatever reason jump out of cars when traffic has stopped if your gonna filter then slow down

The only advice I'd give for filtering would be 'watch and think!'. I'll go any which way, on the left, on the right, through or across, but I never make my move until I'm happy I've seen everything around me and thought about what could change and who might not have seen me, or might decide to try and block me.

I also prefer to filter to the front of a traffic queue, then get away into clean empty space when the traffic starts to move.

Loud exhaust definitely helps.

I'm surprised this hasn't already been mentioned - but also watch out for cars pulling out of side junctions when filtering! If you're filtering through standstill traffic, then and a car pulls out of a lefthand junction to turn right, then they can't see you filtering, and you can't see them until their bonnet suddenly appears in your path. If you take the same route to work everyday - then definitely try to memorise where all the side roads are in areas where you filter frequently.

Means that you can quickly accelerate out of trouble faster too :)

• 2 weeks later...
Also it's a good idea not to filter all the way up to the front of a queue, such as where there are traffic lights at the end, a roundabout or a junction. The reason being that the driver at the very front will be thinking about moving off and will be looking straight ahead (possibly at traffic ahead of them), and won't be concentrating on the biker sat right next to them! Only ever filter as far as the vehicle at the end of the queue, don't go past them.

Nice thread :D

In my experience I find the exception to this is when you know the lights have just turned red and your going strait on. I sit between the 2 front cars and when the light turns to amber I accelerate ahead if safe to do so.

Experienced and talented riders do all sorts of things that novices and mere mortals shouldn't attempt. Stay within your comfort zone and ride to your own abilities. 8-)

Definately the best advice in almost all situations, the idea applies not only to bikers :)

• 3 months later...

I almost never go straight up to the lights when filtering. 90% of the time they'll have gone green when I'm about 30m away so I just pull back into the traffic. I sometimes go to the front of a jam if I'm confident I can pull away safely from the lead car.

I think in the case above you need to have a feel for when the lights will change. Obviously, if you're a few cars back and they've just changed to red, you're more than likely going to be able to get to the front. If you've arrived at a big queue of cars waiting at the lights, the chances are that the lights will change back to green soon.

I think the important thing with filtering is to be aware of everything including timing of lights and read each situation individually.

Be physic you mean? ;)

Really, just keep an eye out on the cars. I always try to get as far ahead as possible if the traffic starts moving before i'm at the front, slink into the flow of traffic. And stick a hand up to say thanks to the car behind :)

I was beeped the other day. I was filtering and there were two cars close to each other so I slowed down, leaned to one side, inched carefully passed and then did the same for the other cars wing mirror. I then moved on a foot before the first car beeped at me and when I looked the driver was shouting. I was careful and hadn't touched either car.

On the way back from Uni however I was filtering down the side of traffic waiting at an island and got to the back of an 18 wheeler. I dipped the clutch and revved the engine a few times as I do for cars if I see them drifting to the side. I thought I would try my luck and was surprised when the driver moved the lorry over to the left and let me passed so I gave him a big thumbs up as I went by. :D

Rough with the smooth.

• 2 months later...

Clues that works for me:

Motorway

1. 20/20 rule is good example

2. When in slow traffic and driver swings away to let me pass I ALWAYS say thanks hand signal or nod :)

When a bike is equiped with hazard lights in my opinion switch them on and wave your hand from time to time also.

3. Especially on motorways try to look at drivers heads - sit still (unlikely to make trouble) - head is moving (lookin by shoulder to change a lane possibly).

Once in a heavy standing traffic (my beginning of riding) on M25 I have missed my turn on to M4 - I was so focused on my safety and watching everything that I did not look at the signs :lol:

Other roads

1. I usually have roundabout on the end of a traffic (ring road), so I always tend to stay on a rear weel of the 1 car but beeing sure that the second car is aware about situation, it is just one car and I will pass him after this junction anyway.

2. On straight crossing I tend to go ahead of the 1 car as most drivers will stay a bit away from the white line. But never crossing white line with both weels - it looks realy rude from a car perspective

I have recieved only smiles when filtering and I stopped to open someones mirror :lol: I can't believe that anyone can drive mirrors closed - but seems like lots of drivers do it. On the other hand one driver had closed his mirror (automatic ones) to let me pass in standing traffic :lol:

• 6 months later...

i was filtering yesterday morning, about 10 mls an hour, very sunny day, lots of peeps moving over for me, then white van man saw me and blocked my way.lmao, i had to laugh as a few of the car drivers blasted their horns when they saw him move over. 8-)

i was filtering yesterday morning, about 10 mls an hour, very sunny day, lots of peeps moving over for me, then white van man saw me and blocked my way.lmao, i had to laugh as a few of the car drivers blasted their horns when they saw him move over. 8-)

That sometimes happens to me, I take great pleasure in getting past them after that :mrgreen:

This might sound like a stupid question and no doubt I am going to get flamed for daring to ask it...

Can you only filter when there is more than one lane of traffic going in your direction?

Lets say you were on a main road that is a single carridgeway at peak time, your side of the road always has people lined up for a long time, but the other side of the road with cars coming towards you, traffic is flowing basically like normal. Is this a situation you would filter?

Can you filter down the left hand side of the cars if there is enough space between the cars and the curb?

Please note I have never done the above, I am still a filter virgin, I am one of the idiots who sits in the traffic with the cars.

Ben"]This might sound like a stupid question and no doubt I am going to get flamed for daring to ask it...

Can you only filter when there is more than one lane of traffic going in your direction?

Lets say you were on a main road that is a single carridgeway at peak time, your side of the road always has people lined up for a long time, but the other side of the road with cars coming towards you, traffic is flowing basically like normal. Is this a situation you would filter?

Can you filter down the left hand side of the cars if there is enough space between the cars and the curb?

Please note I have never done the above, I am still a filter virgin, I am one of the idiots who sits in the traffic with the cars.

I dont think it's illegal to do so as long as it's safe and there's enough room to do it without mounting the curb. Personally I probably wouldn't risk it, depending on how fast the traffic is moving :)