Filtering

wannars125

I've seen filtering come up in a couple of posts recently so thought I'd pop up a thread for it.

I know I've not been riding that long (only 10 months) but in that time clocked up a fair few miles - just above 10k mostly commuting. My commuting journey is roughly 35 miles eachway and incorporates Motorways (M4, M25, M3), dual carriageways (A4), and thick of it city riding (central London). In the few months that I've been doing this I've become more confident with the filtering and thought I'd put up my thoughts on it for people that are just starting out.

1) Start slowly and get to know the dimensions of your bike. Initially wait til the traffic has stopped and you can see a clear way through and progress at a speed where you can stop if someone puts their indicator on to manouvere.

2) If possible, observer other bikers going through traffic - you can learn a lot by doing this.

3) If filtering through slow moving traffic in the centre, try to do so when the cars aren't side by side. Being sandwiched isn't much fun!

3a) Check your mirrors often for other bikers and other hazards that may be approaching behind.

4) Other bikes may filter faster than you. This may not be safe in your opinion but that is their choice. Pull in safely and let them pass. This reduces the pressure on you to go at their pace and results in you getting through safely. It also clears a path for you as the cars notice them going through and seem to instinctively part!

5) Look far ahead. This gives you opportunity to slow down and react to what drivers may be doing and could give clues as to where you might need to slow down due to large vehicles or vehicles that are close to the line. Look to see if there are gaps in one of the lanes. If so, the car in the opposite lane may switch lane rapidly to improve their place in the queue. Some may not indicate, others may start moving then indicate, others will indicate but remain in place to let you pass.

6)If you see a car starting to waver around the centre line, slow down. In my experience 9 times out of 10 this is a good indicator of an intention to move. If they don't move wait for a large enough gap in the opposite lane to allow space between you and the car incase they do move. The extra space gives you time to brake/accelerate out of the way or blip your horn to let them know you're there!

7) If the driver has indicated but is not moving, stay behind the vehicle, they can move at anytime without warning! You can even assist if you're already in the opposite lane by slowing down gradually allowing them space to move in. Once they've moved you can progress safely.

8) On wet roads try to avoid the white line - they're slippery! Use caution in adverse weather as you would when riding normally.

9) If you're not confident of the gap, wait until the space increases. There's no need to put yourself at adittional risk.

10) Try not to filter near junctions. There are many drivers that will be wanting to swap lane to increase their place in the queue, leave or enter the main road.

11) If filtering on the motorway, my experience so far would be to watch out for people swapping lanes even more so than town riding. This seems to be more prevelant here.

12) If three lanes, I've found there to be less movement of cars between lanes 2 and 3. Don't know if there's any fact behind that though!

If anyone else can think of anything else to add or someething you've seen that you don't think I'm doing correctly I'd be interested to know.

Essay over! :)

Once thing from me on this one:

If you're approaching the back end of a double or triple line traffic queue, this is where the vast majority of last minute, indication-less lane-hopping goes on.

Take extreme care when going into your filter because the drivers will not see you, all they have eyes for is which lane appears to be moving quickest at the back of the jam and they will join it, without looking for bikers on a filter maneouvre.

Also it's a good idea not to filter all the way up to the front of a queue, such as where there are traffic lights at the end, a roundabout or a junction. The reason being that the driver at the very front will be thinking about moving off and will be looking straight ahead (possibly at traffic ahead of them), and won't be concentrating on the biker sat right next to them! Only ever filter as far as the vehicle at the end of the queue, don't go past them.

Nice thread :D

Thanks for taking the time to put this advice up. Is really helpful. My main concerns filtering, other than the cars wanting to get me, are how to get back into the lane of traffic if it starts moving as you can guarantee the cars will be bumper to bumper, and what to do when you reach the front of the queue, which has been answered. I was gonna say, as you shouldn't cross the white line at the front of the queue, do you stop in between 2 cars or hold back, either way odds are I won't have a space to move back into so will end up in the centre of 2 lanes with cars both sides.

repeating what was said above also try and not stop at the front of the que as that anoys some drivers and they may try and run you from behind,

always try and give a wave to those you pass and if you can not move hand then wave leg like i do, they appreciate that a bit. manners dont cost anything.

I will normally line up at the side of the first car, as you can get off the line and be gone before they can also if your moving and time it right you arrive as the loghts go green :wink: , also if your filtering and the cars start to move natural gaps always open up as people set of at differing speeds so theres always an opprtunity to pull in somewhere.

Oh and if am turning left at the next junction then I just find somewhere near the front as I wil have to get through the traffic flow.

Most things as always become easier with time.

Thanks for taking the time to put this advice up. Is really helpful. My main concerns filtering, other than the cars wanting to get me, are how to get back into the lane of traffic if it starts moving as you can guarantee the cars will be bumper to bumper, and what to do when you reach the front of the queue, which has been answered. I was gonna say, as you shouldn't cross the white line at the front of the queue, do you stop in between 2 cars or hold back, either way odds are I won't have a space to move back into so will end up in the centre of 2 lanes with cars both sides.

Officially you shouldn't start filtering unless you can see your re-entry point (or your intended re-entry point anyway). On motorways it's different because you could be filtering for miles and not be able to see a re-entry point, whereas on a high street for example you should plan for it.

When traffic starts moving again, like on a motorway you need to pick a time that's safe to re-join. If I'm filtering and traffic starts moving slowly I'll carry on filtering, but if it's moving at about 20mph+ I'll start looking for a re-entry point...don't want to be between two lanes of traffic at 60mph!

Officially you shouldn't start filtering unless you can see your re-entry point

That could be a problem in a traffic cue but something always presents and on the right roads isnt really a problem, but its down to individuals read of the situation.

Officially you shouldn't start filtering unless you can see your re-entry point (or your intended re-entry point anyway).

thats fine, always only plan to take a few cars at a time and make sure there is re-entry point a few cars in front, when at that point look for the next,

and i could be cynical and say dont do it cos it hurts :( but i wont, i still filter on the same road i had my incident jsut a little slower now lol

People must think I'm crazy sometimes when they see me sitting in a queue of traffic on a bike but I've nothing to rush for. I do filter sometimes when it feels comfortably safe and plenty of room. I think it'll become more natural when I move to a bigger bike, the YBR125 is a great bike but it's no racer at the lights :)

People must think I'm crazy sometimes when they see me sitting in a queue of traffic on a bike but I've nothing to rush for

Except maybe when your sat there on a blazing hot day slowly cooking, with the bikestemp getting higher, or on the flip side when its absolutly teeming down with rain :wink:

People must think I'm crazy sometimes when they see me sitting in a queue of traffic on a bike but I've nothing to rush for

Except maybe when your sat there on a blazing hot day slowly cooking, with the bikestemp getting higher, or on the flip side when its absolutly teeming down with rain :wink:

They're the days when I make the effort to start filtering :lol:

on motorways the general rule of thumb is 20:20 ie don't filter if the traffic is doing above 20mph and not more than 20mph above the speed of the traffic, personally I go for 15:15. Other roads generally less.

Basically go at a speed where you can deal with ANY event, and as always EXPECT every other road user to do something stupid, that way you'll be ready when te inevitable happens.

Lots of good additions. As Bex says, manners doesn't cost anything. I usually wave to the left and nod to the right!

Just to add, I felt a lot more comfortable filtering when I got on a larger bike. More audible and you have the option to accelerate out of a situation as well as slowing down.

As for fitting back into the traffic I hang between the cars I want to get in between and do a lifesaver to see if there's enough room. Most drivers see this for what it is and slow down to let you in. If they don't, carry on going if safe or slow down and let them past. Chances are if they don't want to let you in and you push, it'll annoy them and they'll be up your backside until you start filtering again.

What a great thread for a noob like me. I filter every day, but because they dont teach you about it on the D.A.S I have had to make my own rules up as I have gone along. Watching bikes go past in the queue at traffic lights in the morning was one of the main reasons I sold my car. Now as I ride past the cars in the morning I cant help but feel pretty chuffed as i sit at the front of the queue at every set of lights. I feel even better when some peanut in a corsa/fiesta gets the ache and tries to accelerate away from me at the lights. Sometimes I let them go just so I can filter past at the next set of lights, and sometimes :twisted: I leave them for dust :twisted: Im sure the tips you lot have posted will keep me from getting mangled for a while :D

I don't think it was mentioned else where but I like to watch the lights as I approach, maybe further back than some might think to do to see if I can gauge the timing of the lights so i'm not filtering when they change and I'm forced to gun it between the front two cars or to find a gap. The other thing I try and do is look for the other traffic lights that are for the other routes rather than the one I'm on. That way I can see them going amber I can then figure out how long I have before the lights for my route changes if you understand what I mean.

When filtering I usually go straight to the front now I'm on a big bike as, yes, it might piss someone off I've moved all the way up to the front and then moved in front of them but because i'm on a bike I'm not there for very long due to the acceleration. AND when I get to the front I place my bike in front of the car making sure the car, usually a BMW with a driver that thinks he can outpace me doesn't try and therefore force me to be sat between two cars.

When filtering I usually go straight to the front now I'm on a big bike as, yes, it might p*ss someone off I've moved all the way up to the front and then moved in front of them but because i'm on a bike I'm not there for very long due to the acceleration. AND when I get to the front I place my bike in front of the car making sure the car, usually a BMW with a driver that thinks he can outpace me doesn't try and therefore force me to be sat between two cars.

Does that not mean you would have to cross the white line to position yourself in front of the lead car? Might be a daft question but I'm learning every time I ask one :)

To be honest yes, I go as far over the white line as I need to make sure there is no doubt in the mind of the driver I'm in front of that I'm in front of him. I've had no problems so far and filtered past police cars too.

On the A52 in the mornings I even filter between two rows of traffic when cars are joining from side slip roads BUT I'm watching all about. I'll slow, I'll speed up, I'll move into the lane properly etc and I haven't had a problem with that either. I'm aware of what's going on, who's likely to move, who's not so likely but could move etc. It makes the ride fun and less mundane. :)

I have ridden pushbikes all my life, so when I got the confidence to start filtering, I judged it by pushbike experience ... if it looks dodgy in any way, don't do it!

For example, I was behind a guy doing 25/30 in a 40 zone today (dual carriageway). I could easily have nipped into the outside lane and booted past him ... but he was all over the road (e.g. drifting out over the white line, then back again, almost mounting the kerb, then back out, etc), so I sat behind him at a healthy distance until I could give him an incredibly wide berth!

I think Its all down to reading the road and personal judgement.

I agree with the 125'ers on here - I have a lot more confidence in filtering to the front of the queue on a 650 than on a 125!

Mind you, for some reason I am very careful on a motorbike ... but a complete maniac on a pushbike! Lol!

as previously said a noisy end can makes a big difference, i recently got an aftermarket can for my bike, and it's prettty loud, with it being a twin, its a proper burbly deep sound.... when i filter i constantly blip the throttle and make a racket,with the exhaust popping and fizzing people look in the mirrors to look for you wondering what the noise is. I think its made filtering a lot safer for me... personally i think filterings one of the most satisfying parts of motorbiking, just about doing it safely.

People must think I'm crazy sometimes when they see me sitting in a queue of traffic on a bike but I've nothing to rush for. I do filter sometimes when it feels comfortably safe and plenty of room. I think it'll become more natural when I move to a bigger bike, the YBR125 is a great bike but it's no racer at the lights :)

Been there.. Still do it...

They never really taught me how to filter when i took my test, and on a 125 i always thought there was no point, since once i got to the front i'd just be overtaken again.. So i sat in the traffic (tho if anyones ever been the Lincoln during the morning rush hour, even i filtered in that!).

Now im on a bigger bike, wanting to do it, but its outside my comfort zone. Always get other bikes nipping into the space im in while in the queue filtering, normally when im pretty close to the front so can't follow >.<.

Cheers for the thread tho, good read.. Might get some confidence to try filtering sometime soon. Just glad my daily ride is motorway all the way.