MOD 1 a simple tip for a stupid mistake!!!!!

Recently binned my Mod 1 :crybaby:

Was such a stupid situation/ mistake that I thought it best to share it with those about to do theirs.

Had no problems in practice with all the manouvers (cant spell it!)

My only 'bugbear' was with the avoidance bit as had clipped the cone a couple of times on my first practice attempts.

On the day all went really well, in spite of the fact that I was MUCH more nervous than Id expected to be.

As you are given a 2nd try at emergency stop & avoidance, if you are too slow - you are advised to err on the side of caution first time thru as you can always go again a bit faster 2nd time.

What I didnt realise is that you are not told that your speed was under 50 until you have completed the whole test.

In practice we had only done a right handed avoidance.

on the day the course was set up for a left-hander.

Not a problem - both emergency stop and avoidance were fine.

Then was informed at end of test that I was too slow on my avoidance and would need to do it again.

AT THIS POINT i SHOULD HAVE ASKED HOW MUH TOO SLOW I HAD BEEN - I DID NOT!

Came round again, determined to get the 50 min - broke all the rules we covered in training re NOT concentrating on speedtrap sec, focusing on avoidance cone etc etc

Howled thru speedtrap, had a momentary brain fry, thought 'oh sh*t which side do I go?' and clipped the cone - FAIL

Later I found out that my speed on first attempt had been only 1Kh too slow!!!

My 2nd attempt had been at 59Kh!!!!

If Id asked things may have gone differently.

Ask the examiner what your 1st attempt speed was!

I re-sit my Mod1 on Weds :oops:

Haha! I was 1Kph too slow and the second time I was thinking too much of the speedo and forgot to go round the cones. Oh well, that was £10 gone! Only a tenner and three days wait though.

Better luck next time mate.

:) good luck for next time...

i had my mod 1.. and they said this:

you went throught at 47 the pass is 50, youll need to do it again.. or somerthing along those lines

Maybe he was being nice, but deffo make sure you know how much faster you need to go :)

Josh

x

They said it was fed through to the computer so they couldn't give it even if they wanted to.

Considering they round from 0.5 of a kph it could have been as little as 0.3mph!

Oh well!

if you have more training ask them to give you both left and right swerves, if not, pass the information on to your trainers so they can make sure its is covered for other newbies.. most training schools will appreciate feedback, as it will help develop the training programme..

They said it was fed through to the computer so they couldn't give it even if they wanted to.

Considering they round from 0.5 of a kph it could have been as little as 0.3mph!

Oh well!

OMG, i presume there is no leeway for going over is there?

So, what if your speedo is unusually inaccurate? You'd always fail!! :(

Oh well!

OMG, i presume there is no leeway for going over is there?

So, what if your speedo is unusually inaccurate? You'd always fail!! :(

No penalty for going over - can go as fast as you like ..........tho, this makes the manouever more difficult of course!! :bike:

Instructor also teaches you to NOT look at speedo but listen to engine...mainly cos theres so much to think about already .........pretty much a sea of cones in front of you. A very false feeling situation, partic I think when youve driven for **!!*% years like I have :lol:

May just have a sneaky little peek at that speedo on the approach this time tho.........

My re-sit is tomorrow morning and dear ole Auntie Beeb forecasts heavy rain ........................oh joy!!! :(

Did it again would you believe it? - this time spot on thru all bits then put a foot down on U turn!!

NEVER done a bad U turn, always found them easy...............

Def got a prob with nerves...........a new one for me.............think mainly due to having bike waiting at home, sooooo much wanting to do this, and certainly not helped by lack of available test dates- next Mod1 mid-Aug!!

Only one examainer for whole of Cumbria .........whats that all about????????

Seriously considering a little 'chemical help' next time to take the edge off.

Bags of confidence on bike but go to pieces the moment I get into the compond.

Words beginning with F F F F F F :evil:

keep at it mate! it's my sixth attempt (i think) in a couple of weeks. not disheartnered. a bit pissed off, but i've done it so many times the nerves are virtually gone :lol:

failed twice? pshh that's nothing! :wink:

YAY :D im still worrying more about it. 1kmph under? thats friggen ridiculous. i think there should be atleast a 2kmph margin becuase speedo's are never 100% also bottling a u-turn must suck. what happened then? if you throttled out did you catch a cone or something?

I understand the 50kph thing because if they had a 2kph margin it would just be 48kph and you pass and ppl would complain if they got 47. Jusy a bit of tough luck I suppose!

By way of advice, I would go to a car park and do the U-turn over and over. Also, take a couple of paracetamol before you go as they help calm nerves (or so I am told - it could be placebo but that works too!). Also, don't turn up too early as you will have time to stew. Try and consider your nerves as excitement, they are very similar feelings but with a different perspective. Other than that, you are a leaf floating on the wind... leeeaaaff oonn thhheee wiiiiind... ;-)

I have to give lectures to 150 ppl and found that calming though was the best thing to do 5 minutes before starting. Now I have been there done that, it's OK.

I understand the 50kph thing because if they had a 2kph margin it would just be 48kph and you pass and ppl would complain if they got 47. Jusy a bit of tough luck I suppose!

By way of advice, I would go to a car park and do the U-turn over and over. Also, take a couple of paracetamol before you go as they help calm nerves (or so I am told - it could be placebo but that works too!). Also, don't turn up too early as you will have time to stew. Try and consider your nerves as excitement, they are very similar feelings but with a different perspective. Other than that, you are a leaf floating on the wind... leeeaaaff oonn thhheee wiiiiind... ;-)

I have to give lectures to 150 ppl and found that calming though was the best thing to do 5 minutes before starting. Now I have been there done that, it's OK.

rofl placebo is the funniest thing ^.^ i know a mate that err. i dnno what you do with it becuase "it" isnt really an it. he looks like a fpoon when he does it though :)