Newbie advice

Hi guys

I am new to these forums and new to motorcycles. I have never driven a car (though I had lessons around 6-7 years ago) and I have just booked a Direct Access course. I passed my theory quite well last week and am waiting to start my 4 day course soon. I have some nerves and some questions and this looked like a good place to come.

With zero experience on a bike, am I asking too much to expect to get through a CBT, and DAS in a week? I don't expect to ride really big bike any time soon and I expect the DAS part will be on a 500? I am looking to settle nerves on this one.

Another question I had was in terms of kit. I will need a helmet, jacket, gloves and boots for the course right? I don't want to turn up "inappropriately dressed", but don't want to look like Carl Fogarty's newbie little cousin either. Any recommendations for what I should get and good places to shop for motorcycle kit online?

Thanks in advance guys, reading through these forums has already helped answer a lot of questions.

In regards to kit I suggest you go to a shop so that you can try it on, you don't want to buy kit that is uncomfortable. You can pass them both in a week if you try hard and concentrate you will be fine mate:). The DAS will be on a 500cc. You will need a helmet and gloves boots and strong trousers would be a very good idea. Good luck mate you will be fine :)

Some places, like where I did my course, will provide you with all important kit for free! - you might find that you hate biking after doing the DAS (impossible!) and that you've spent all that money on kanagaroo leathers and a £1890 helmet! just a thought!

Thanks for the advice guys. There is a single local bike shop (other than the new Harley place which is seriously expensive) which was shut at the weekend when I went down. I'll try again this weekend.

I was worried I'd taken on too much, and with it being so hard to get time off work and not having a bike myself yet I don't want to mess it up and have a hard time getting back out there. If all else fails I guess I have to pass the CBT in 4 days right?

Don't buy anything untill you have completed your CBT!

You will pick up lots of usefull info on wearing the right gear during the CBT , so wait :D

Very possible to do, think quite a few on here have said they have done it all in a week or so. Korben definitely has (im not a stalker or anything korben...i swear :| )

As above, dont buy anything until after your CBT. Also, id personally recommend you buying cheap kit first as you will probably find things you dont like about the stuff after you realise what you need for your riding (Happened to me with nearly all my kit!). Bought a helmet because i liked the design, after a week i realised it didnt fit my head properly, to tight at the forehead but too big at the cheeks. Had to go out and fork out £200 for a new one. Bought textiles as i thought i wouldnt want leathers and got some bog standard boots that were winter ones. Trousers ive only worn a few times as they are far too uncomfortable for me, jacket ive just stopped using and the boots were far too flimsy and have fallen apart. Replaced all of that with a full set of leathers and some Sidi boots for far too much money :? . Only original bit of kit i have after 6 months is my gloves...although i need to get some new ones of them as red and white gloves dont match my green bike... :roll:

Thanks for the advice guys. Being that I am taking the CBT etc. all at the same time I think it's worth getting a little kit; but I'll heed the advice and go cheap for now. I'm headed to the big bike shop near here at the weekend to have a nose around. I just don't want to get stuck with something super gross/uncomfortable/far too small as loan items.

I'm feeling much better about the possibility of getting through it all now thanks to you also. I am actually quite looking forward to it!

:o cheltenham :D hear about the crash at prinkash abbey last week? i saw it. the guy died :(

I dnno a few good places to shop for kit not online is bransons in gloucester. there really good. abit pricey but theres no price on being safe in my opinion. ifnot roadrunners in stroud offer good kit like helmets jacket and gloves. i dnno about anywhere online though. im not too good shopping online

When i say cheap, i dont mean neglect safety either! Just be wary that you may want to swap it soon!

He is telling the truth. i would deffo reccomend a jacket with a spine protecter if your not getting leathers.

EDIT*

oh and get something that goes with the bike :) you dont wanna look like a patchwerk monster heading through a busy town :D you will be a laughing stock :D

No worries guys, I agree completely. I am looking for what you might call tide-me-overs that are safe but not for keeps per sé. I'll keep an open mind and try to pick up what I don't like about the kit to put to use when buying for-keeps kit (along with the bike for colour matching of course).

Again, thanks for your patience with the newbie.