Module 1 - members test experiences

Been a bit quiet on the forum for a while since announcing my cbt date, thing hadn't really worked out for me time wise and this is the first chance I've had to get some proper training time in.

I've just finished 3 days of 4 hour training sessions with my mod1 this morning and I'm pleased to say I clean sheeted the test with no faults at all. I'm still not totally sure how I managed that as I was still having the occasional foot down while practising. I have also done a bit of mod2 training but still in need of a few sessions before I think I will be ready for the test.

I'm really struggling with my slow manoeuvres, I've dropped the bike on numerous occasions, it's a XJ600. I had my mod 1 training session, managed to drop it on the manual handling, then the nerves kicked in. I managed 1 slalom and then froze doing the figures of 8, it became a figure of 0! Tried again and stalled as I set off. I feel physically sick whenever I think of the test, but I'm fine on the same bike on the road, a little hesitant & a little slow but OK. It's taken me ages to get to here, after dropping the 600on myself the first time I tried it I lost what little nerve I have and it took me months (not to mention too much £) to get to here and I feel like I'm back to where I was. I have a fantastic bike waiting for me in the garage and I don't want to give up, but I don't know where to go from here. My boyfriend is a very confident rider and gets a bit frustrated with my lack of progress, I've wanted to do this for years and now I just feel like I'm blowing it all. Is there anyone else out there who had similar kinds of problems but managed to get through the mod1. If so how?!

JWat -my wife fell over a couple of times during her mod1 training. Tore the ligaments in her hand on one of them. She stuck at it and passed, now she is out on her Hornet 600. So just stick with it, some people take longer than others thats all.

Got my first mod1 lesson today myself.........oooer!

I failed my MOD1 yesterday. Figure of 8 and U turn foot down!! Furious with myself. I retake on Wednesday. I know I have to keep the revs up. Would also like advice for manual handling. I find it such a struggle. Any tips?

Practice. Then practice some more. It's the only way. :)

I'm really struggling with my slow manoeuvres, I've dropped the bike on numerous occasions, it's a XJ600. I had my mod 1 training session, managed to drop it on the manual handling, then the nerves kicked in. I managed 1 slalom and then froze doing the figures of 8, it became a figure of 0! Tried again and stalled as I set off. I feel physically sick whenever I think of the test, but I'm fine on the same bike on the road, a little hesitant & a little slow but OK. It's taken me ages to get to here, after dropping the 600on myself the first time I tried it I lost what little nerve I have and it took me months (not to mention too much £) to get to here and I feel like I'm back to where I was. I have a fantastic bike waiting for me in the garage and I don't want to give up, but I don't know where to go from here. My boyfriend is a very confident rider and gets a bit frustrated with my lack of progress, I've wanted to do this for years and now I just feel like I'm blowing it all. Is there anyone else out there who had similar kinds of problems but managed to get through the mod1. If so how?!

Hey Kim don't give up you will get there, what part of the country are you in if you don't mind me asking there maybe someone nearby that will give up some time to help you, I will if your anywhere near the Grimsby area.

What are you riding daily?

I took my mod on a 600cc and foot down fail. Brought a varadero 125 beast and then passed first go.

Whilst im not suggesting you buy a bike I believe if you can borrow or rent a 125 and use it daily then you will not have an issue. renting a 125 and using it to commute is better training than a couple of days intensive.

When the bike is moving it automatically stays up anyway however going slow removes that and you have to make adjustments which when mixed with gears becomes hard.

I hated gears never wanted to learn them thought I never could and a few days with my own geared bike and its fine

it comes to you very quickly

There are a few common errors whilst riding slow that messes you up.

First never touch the front brake it will instant stop the bike causing it to fall over

second don't tight grip the steering as it amplifies errors

lastly give yourself plenty of space on the turns

Get used to slow speed clutch control in a straight line maybe on your bf bike.

try speeding up then slowing back to a crawl.

get it to the point its nothing then start practicing the turns.

a big bike can feel very heavy.

If that is directed at me then yes and no.

Mod 1

1st time did no shoulder checks instant fail.

2nd time tried it on a big bike after 2 days training and failed with foot down

3rd time took it on the vara and passed

Mod 2

failed 1&2 time on different things

3rd time i forgot my paperpart so lost the test

4th last week i got to the test and bike was having issues so i couldn't proceed.

Theory has now expired so full resit.

After 10+ years of riding i got side swiped last week so brought a mint varadero.

Im now wondering what i want a bigger bike for as really i just want to tour and would prefer my partner to ride her own bike for long trips. The vara is a beast and does 75 which is the limit. i don't want to do motorways as that's no fun and the only plus would be acceleration which i find can get me in trouble If i was in a very bad mood.

no doubt i will pass it maybe even from the money i get for the bike my leg my shoulder and my lid but im tempted to keep the varadero if i do

saw your profile picture. very nice bike but almost to big for a short rider to learn on.

Mine is 2002 5500 miles mint with centre stand which is great as it looks nicer

im going to mod it up to the 9,s

to come....

engine bars

touring screen

rear hugger

acrebis light up hand guards

shock sock

exhaust upgrade

and some high beam cree blinders to stop people pulling out on me again (not going to use them all the time)

I see complete twats with full licences racing every night yet im the guy

that has to use L plates because having a full licence instantly qualifies you as experienced apparently.

Ride safe.

I'm really struggling with my slow manoeuvres, I've dropped the bike on numerous occasions... ...Is there anyone else out there who had similar kinds of problems but managed to get through the mod1. If so how?!

Hya JWat, don't worry, you're not the first and certainly not the last to drop the training bike a fair few times!

Here's my longwinded story of my training fails! :lol:

I also did my training on a XJ6N, lowered as I'm short. The first day I got on the bike, he told me just to ride forward and stop. It was on a gravely area but that wasn't even what I was worried about. I had a funny feeling that when I stopped that my feet wouldn't reach the ground properly and I'd drop the bike.

I just sat there. The instructor kept calling me to ride to him, but I didn't. He eventually walked over and asked what was wrong. I said I had a bad feeling. He rode it into the tarmac'd car park area and said ride around on it and get used to the feel of it. So I did. I rode around.. and around.. and around..

Eventually I knew I'd need to stop. I rode the bike round to where my instructor was. He was talking to another instructor. Came to a gentle stop and.... Panicked! Flung both legs out in the air and the bike tipped over. Footpeg snapped off. :oops:

After that I was ok, but then I didn't have my next lesson till about 3 weeks later (I had spread them out over 2 paydays). There was another guy with us who we had to take to do his mod 1, so we were straight out on the bikes, on the road. Instructor told me to lead. I was nervous as I felt all new again. Got up the road a little jerky and then told to turn right into a side road. As I went to turn, I dropped the throttle and the bike tipped over in the middle of the road. Footpeg snapped off. :oops:

After that, my instructor made sure he carried a couple of spare footpegs whenever he was training me!! :lol:

I dropped the bike 2 more times doing U-turn practice, first time the footpeg snapped. :oops: 2nd time the bike dropped on the other side and was fine! And once more turning left out of a parked up position as we were leaving from the burger van outside the test centre before my mod 1 test! Luckily the footpeg stayed intact that time!

Now onto Mod 1. I failed Three times and passed the 4th attempt :oops:

First was E-stop skid. 2nd was E-stop - took too long to stop. 3rd I was a nervous wreck and foot-down the U-turn. 4th, I passed with a minor for going 2kph under on the avoidance. *Phew!* :thumb:

Mod 2: I failed my 1st Mod 2 for basically not going fast enough "Making progression" and apparently I was in the wrong lane to turn somewhere at some point, but still to this day I don't know when or where that happened. *Shrug* Passed 2nd attempt with a different examiner with I think it was 2 minors for steering - which was because the schools bike I was on was a different XJ6 than what I had ridden all through my training. The steering felt so loose, like it was slipping about. I told my instructer when we arrived at the test centre and when he looked at it he said it had flat spots and on the tread limit :roll:

Keep at it, don't give up. The feeling when you pass it all is worth every penny, knowing all the hard work has paid off. :)

I don't think the cost is worth it. its not like they do bike lessons its a intensive or not

When i did my training i was going from a scooter to geared but they messed up and didn't do any conversion so after a little bit we went out on the road and i kept stalling which didn't help when the instructor kept saying come on you cant stop there which i was fully aware of. next day i didn't even want to go back but did and he took me out all day on the bike and i got it super quick.

There was a guy there that completely mugged himself off by saying he didn't get why we kept doing slow stuff as he had been riding for years (many years ago) and could ride fine. he proved this by riding around fast the instructor laughed and said OK drive up to a spot slow right down and pull away without stopping. he got to the stop and promptly fell off the bike.

which by all accounts he actually deserved for showing off.

The best thing i ever did was buy the vara.

I went to pick it up and learnt the gears again on the way home. If anyone buys rents or hires a geared 125 preferably a vara you will find when you do training it is a lot easier. The varadero is pretty much identical to a big bike in size and weight without the brute force acceleration

First MOD 1 excited really feeling confident, set off to riding school ready for test Centre weather atrocious, halfway there a phone call, don't set off it's been cancelled hurricane Bertha hit! :0(

Rebooked for MOD 1 2nd attempt Hull test centre get there and had 15mins slalom and figure of 8 which I'm ok on, asked about avoidance as had only had three goes down a straight narrow street nearly 6 weeks before, told your ok, don't need it. ask instructor where abouts mod 1 centre is, other instructor says you've been haven't you? I answer craven park? No he says then he goes over to my instructor and two other instructors start laughing at him saying he's senile!! Anyway off to mod 1 centre Clough road, really nice examiner made me feel comfortable straight away, did all slow manoeuvres fine, controlled stop fine, emergency stop fine, avoidance knocked the cone about 2 foot in the air! Examiner tells me what a shame you were perfect till then! My instructor just asks me to get on my bike and head back to his riding school, no condolence nothing, get to riding school he says pop in the office see the lady for another appointment, appointment 3 booked for 2 weeks later. Ask about avoidance practice on the actual test site told "your not allowed no one is"

Rebooked for MOD 1 attempt 3. Worrying as not had any more swerve avoidance since July when taken to a narrow road and had three goes at it! It's now middle of August and £800 and 2 and A half days later not much actual training more following instructor to test centre to take others to do their mod 2, Ten minutes doing figure of 8 and slalom which I said I was ok as never had problem, asked about avoidance, no you don't need it you'll be fine, this time test is in scunthorpe so two of us set off, my bike kept clunking out of gear, never had that problem before but chap who was also going for test said he had the bike the day before and it was awful! Got to test centre, examiner was pig ignorant, I got the distinct feeling he didn't like women riding bikes, anyway did all slow manoeuvres perfect emergency stop 49kph passed, avoidance just got through the speed check and a loud clunk jolted me forward didn't go to do the swerve just straight on and said the bike had jolted me forward as it jumped out of gear agin, examiner pointed to the gate, no second attempt?? No! Fail.

Not a word from my instructor just wait there as your going back on 125 with other chap who also failed and they needed big bikes for next two. Got back told to go in office was told "you need a kick up the bum laughing, right do you want next Tuesday? It's another £70. Nope I said and left was no way going back so found another instructor school and went yesterday, what a difference, explained everything about avoidance, that's fine he said we will take you for a practice on the official site!! What I was told your not allowed, of course you are he said all the schools just hook it for evenings! Well after being shown how to do it properly my MOD 1 is this weekend! :0)

good luck it sounds like you had some right jerks.

some guys are like that and that's were I don't like the cost because its almost like ok here is the bike go play and we will chat on our phones and stuff. Think I will go elsewhere next time.

That said my dad said if I buy a big bike he will ride it to the test centre for me so I can do it myself.

Only issue is getting day insurance hard to find but very doable.

when you do it yourself the price is super cheap.

£15 mod one

£75 mod two

the school I went two did avoidance on site it just depends on wether the school bother spending the money to get a good

set up