Module 1 - members test experiences

6 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Hey all, just passed MOD1 this morning at St.  Helens.

Second attempt - first time I put my foot down on the fig. 8. Did 2 hours of lessons yesterday just to get it dialled in, but was still nervous as hell.

At one point the (new) bike wouldn't go down into first. The examiner was good, "just let the clutch out a touch in second, then pull it back in,  that'll sort it".

Kept my head up,  arms loose,  clutch control good,  a little drag on the back brake for comfort. No minors.

It started snowing on the way home, but by then I was happy.

Congrats 👍 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope you are all having a great weekend.  

Since Christmas, I have taken my CBT on a nearly new Benelli BN125.  Nice enough bike but felt quite cramped - I'm 6ft4 and eaten too many Minced Pies (if you get my drift).  I was successful in gaining my CBT, although it took another 4 hours over 2 sessions to be successful.  Being 45, I think it just took me a bit of time to get my head around it all.  Once I got it - I got it.

I also took my Theory test a couple of weeks ago and Passed 1st time.  Get in!!

So, to the point of this post - I have 4 training schools in the area.  The school I took my CBT with use Suzuki SV650s.  Other schools use Kawasaki ER6-Ns.  

Is there any light that any of you can shed on which I might find better for getting through my DAS course? 

There is obviously the factor of staying with the same school as they know me and know how I respond best.  They don't split the Mod1/2 up though.  Other schools split the Mods - which makes a little more sense for my bank balance.

I'm just trying to get an overall perspective of how people view the best route to go and if there is any major difference to the 2 models of bike in question.

Oh just one more consideration - the school I took my CBT with have a fairly compact car park space to practice in and are a fair distance from any of the test centres.  He said they have access to the actual test site at the weekends to practice Mod1.  Other schools use School Playgrounds and larger areas onsite, so plenty of Mod1 practice space.

Decisions, Decisions.......

Thanks for any input.  

Dean

I don't think it will make much difference which bike you use as they'll all be new to you.

I would say that practicing mod 1 at the test centre is a good idea.

At the end of the day its what you and your wallet feel happiest with.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Passed my Mod1 last Wednesday. 1st time of asking.  Was so much easier than I’d imagined.  Separate thread on here with details of training and tests.  

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Had been practising on my 125 a lot prior to my DAS. In two minds as to if this was useful. In some ways I was very comfortable with what I was going to be asked to do but it is much easier to do an a big bike and feels very different. On my 125 the bit that worried me was the U turn. on a bike bike it was the figure of 8. While practising I complained bitterly about the test to anyone who would listen. Felt it seemed a bit pointless. Who in the real world would do a U turn and not put their feet down if they needed to? Looking back I got a lot of value from the test as it was a big confidence booster. Emergency stop on a modern big bike with ABS was an eye opener.

Test day I was nervous but confident. The main bit I was worried about was the figure of 8. I almost fluffed it as I was going to slow and the bike started to tip but gave it a bit more power and rescued the situation. After that I was also incredibly focused on not being too slow for the emergency stop. Fat chance of that as I was feeling confident after getting through the slow speed stuff and gave it some beans. As I finished my last emergency stop the last thing my instructor said to me came to mind. Don't forget the life savers after the emergency stop when he tells you you can go out. Passed with no minors.

Genuinely nowhere near as bad as I had made it in my head. Actually kind of enjoyed it.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Shasel said:

Who in the real world would do a U turn and not put their feet down if they needed to?

But that's not the point. How you do a U turn is up to you. But being able to a U turn without putting your foot down is a basic skill that shows your ability to handle the bike a slow speed.

For the record, I am ultracr*p at U turns and put my foot down more often than not. I was (and still am) amazed I did one on the test.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bonio said:

But that's not the point. How you do a U turn is up to you. But being able to a U turn without putting your foot down is a basic skill that shows your ability to handle the bike a slow speed.

For the record, I am ultracr*p at U turns and put my foot down more often than not. I was (and still am) amazed I did one on the test.  

I kind of agree but it just feels fake and forced. Slow straight line I get and use a lot. Slalom and figure of 8 I kind of get and certainly makes me confident filtering. U turn just feels overblown to me as you have already demonstrated slow speed control.

Probably useful if you're a police rider and you need to whip round to chase some scroat. Still its a useful slow speed skill to have.

Edited by S-Westerly