Module 1 - members test experiences

Bit nervy on the slalom due to getting it wrong last week but managed it today. Emergency stop and avoidance had to do twice as only 47kmh on first attempts. Finished up and went into test centre not knowing whether I had passed and convinced I hadn't but only 2 faults which where the second attempts but I have passed! Mod 2 is now on Friday morning! Two weeks ago I had never been on a big bike and here I am within touching distance of my full licence :) happy bunny today!

Bit nervy on the slalom due to getting it wrong last week but managed it today. Emergency stop and avoidance had to do twice as only 47kmh on first attempts. Finished up and went into test centre not knowing whether I had passed and convinced I hadn't but only 2 faults which where the second attempts but I have passed! Mod 2 is now on Friday morning! Two weeks ago I had never been on a big bike and here I am within touching distance of my full licence :) happy bunny today!

Well done mate! Nearly there!

Well done Matey! Would have said that is the more difficult one done but not to say the Mod 2 is in the bag.

Good luck for Friday.

Thanks!

I totally agree. The Mod 1 to me is alien- knowing what is coming and what you have to do doesn't feel right whereas riding on the road feels more instinctive and intuitive. I feel more than capable of passing but not taking anything for granted.

Third attempt at my mod 1 this morning - only went and passed! I cannot explain the relief I feel right now!

I am doing an A2 licence and appreciate I will have to do it all over again if I every want to un restrict a bike - but right now I would happily stay restricted

Got a minor for the manual handling (too slow) and a minor for only getting 47 on the first hazard avoidance

A lesson or 2 and lots of practice on my 125 and hopefully that shiny new licence will be mine :D

Passed my Mod 1 a couple weeks back (have my Mod 2 this week) and wanted to share my experience.

It was my second Mod 1, I had taken my first at a different test centre and a mixture of nerves and (I think) bad training led me to failing. I had changed training schools and the nearest test centre was different so the change was forced really.

The first was in Enfield where the waiting room was really tense and busy and the second (the pass) was Uxbridge and just felt more relaxed when we arrived, which relaxed me. The examiners said hello to me, my trainer and the other testee when we arrived and we were early so rather then making us wait we took our tests early (I wasn't 100% prepared for that mentally but was fine).

At the start we went in to the little room and he checked my paperwork as normal, here's what was different. He opens the gate I rode in he said "park up in the cones" and I did. He came over and gave me the instruction and then said "so Paul what do you do?". At first I didn't really register what he was saying as I was quite nervous and concentrating so he said it again. When I realised he was just chatting and being nice I answered and all the nerves sort of vanished almost instantly.

Really made me wonder why some examiners are so stern and emotionless and if anything add to your nerves when it could be soo easy for them to reduce them.

Anyway, got through all the test fine until the dreaded hazard avoidance (one of two things I failed first time and where I think I had been under trained). First attempt, came through at 43kmph but was a good swerve. He came over and said "you didn't quite make the speed there" I replied "how fast was I?" he said "it was more like how slow" and showed me. I turned the bike round and rode of laughing and thinking "i'll show that ****!" came through at 53kmph and passed with one fault for the slow first attempt.

so my advice for anyone with nerves maybe try and humanise your examiner somehow, if they're not gonna talk to you maybe talk to them. ask them a non related question etc.

hope I get the same guy for Mod 2....

The examiner for my first Mod 1 just seemed a nice guy and we got to stroke his dog which I think helped me relax a little. The second looked a miserable old sod and when I signed the paperwork he said make sure it is all in the box or we have to do it all again. I thought what a miserable sod. He then asked if I was taking my Q test- I hadn't a clue what he meant! After what seemed like an eternity he smiled and said I'm just pulling your leg. I saw the funny side and he probably did it to help with my nerves. After telling what to do with each manoeuvre he asked if I had any questions. On my first attempts at emergency stop and avoidance he told me straight away what my speed was and asked if I'd like to do it again. Despite his outwardly miserable and deadpan appearance he was very nice and think was doing his best to calm my nerves.

The only complaint is the look on his face as I walked back into the test centre- I thought I'd probably failed. A little knowing smile would have been nice!

I certainly wouldn't want to do it again!

But I can only speak for the test centre I did mine at with two different examiners but they did seem that they wanted people to pass

Hello all.

This is my first post here, I came on here and read some posts and I think it helped so here's mine.

I had my test this morning, it was mod 1.

Rocked up at the site, rode on to the test pad and did the manual handling, no problems there, although Bandits are heavy things!

Slalom and figure of eight, you have loads of space to play with, these were what I was most bothered about, and thought that's what would have me putting a foot down.

Got through those and on to the slow ride to the u turn, nice amount of room, I actually find it easier to do them in a tighter space but you have got a lot to play with. After that it's the speed parts of the test, I went for 30 on all 3 parts which on the 600 Bandit I was on is 4k revs in 3rd gear, they get up to speed without any fuss.

Basically I'd say if I can do it then you can to. I was so nervous for it especially the figure of 8 but I found once the test started a lot of the nerves go because you know you can do it.

Good luck to anyone who's looking to take their test or has one soon. They really do give you a nice amount of room to play with. Use the clutch and back brake if you need to brake on the slow speed stuff.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just passed my MOD1 today and thought I'd come along to say 'thanks' to everyone for your tips - it really helped reading about your experiences this last couple of weeks whilst I prepared for the test - and to share my experience.

It wasn't perfect, I managed to stall right after entering the compound - I came to a stop inside the gate to receive instructions and saw a flash of neutral light as I took it out of gear, but can't have been firm enough with my foot as it didn't quite go in (not sure how, because when I restarted the engine, it was in neutral, but these things happen when you're nervous!). Managed to put it behind me and carry on and the examiner didn't say a word either during or after.

My nemesis during training was the U-turn - when practicing and in the zone I could do 10 perfect turns in a row, but coming back to it after a few hours, it seemed to go to pieces and I couldn't bring all elements together (common errors included backing off the throttle halfway round, breaking vision to look at the kerb/ white line instead of focusing behind me, doing it too slowly). The test was no exception, and - for reasons unknown - having set off with a perfect amount of throttle and clutch slip and carried out the observations well, I shut off halfway round causing a wobble. Thankfully I managed to get back on the power once I realised what I'd done and completed the exercise, but I was cursing myself inside the helmet.

Speed exercises went ok, having not received any comments after my Emergency Stop, I wrongly assumed the speed had been over 50kph. Coming round at roughly the same speed for the swerve, I was really surprised to be told it had been too slow and I'd have to go round again, but again I put it behind me. When I went back round I made sure I'd was faster , and did a decent swerve at 55kph.

Passed with 2 minors... (one for the E-stop @ 48kph, and another minor for having to have a second swerve attempt). As others have mentioned, it all seemed to be over in around 3 minutes.

Not sure how much advice I can give to others, other than re-iterate that if something goes wrong, be ready to put it behind you right away. You'll have practiced all the moves plenty of times so 'muscle memory' will get you through rather than overthinking things. I had it in mind that it would only cost £15.00 if I failed, and going at it a second time, you'll have the experience of having done a trial run (it helps if your school will arrange it so that you leave a week or so between the 2 parts of the tests - that way if it doesn't go well, you can hopefully just schedule a second MOD 1 for the same day of your MOD2. Takes the pressure off having to pass first time).

A couple of things my instructors mentioned that were really useful:

-on the slalom, if you aim to pass the first cone as closely as you can without hitting it (rather than going through the middle), it sets you up well for the rest of the course (you won't find yourself struggling with being too close to the last couple).

-Similarly, on the figure of 8, the only cone you want to be close to is the one that's at the top (having looped round, as you come back down to go through the middle, go as close as you can to the top cone: it gives you more room to come round the second one.

-And finally - decent, long observations! Make sure you do these as you leave parking space to enter compound - if you start the test off well, it's likely to continue (and the time it takes to do them gives you time to take deep breaths and relax). If you get two minors for missed observations, it only takes a slow ride that's slightly too quick (one minor), and having to have two attempts at the e-stop and swerve (2 more minors), and you're up to 5!

If you're reading and haven't started training yet, don't worry about the swerve or emergency stop - they had me terrified before I started, and after a couple of practice runs all the worry will be gone. And if you're going up to A2/DAS from a 125, you'll find the big bike just as easy (if not easier) to manoeuvre at slow speed, so don't worry about the extra weight/power.

All the best to everyone sitting the MOD1. Just MOD2 to get through now....hopefully there's a thread on here with tips somewhere!

• 4 weeks later...

Mod 1 passed yesterday at frst attempt :D

After doing my CBT last September I've hardly ridden at all for various reasons but was keen to get my license sorted this summer to stop another year going by. I booked myself onto a 4-day DAS course with PRT Training in Letchworth, Herts, and had my first day on a 600 on Saturday followed by Mod 1 on Monday.

By the end of Saturday I had attempted the slalom, figure of 8 and U turn in the car park we used for training but only had a couple of goes - which were less than perfect due mostly to not getting the right lines on the Figure of 8 and not releasing the clutch. I'd been ill the week leading up to it and was exhausted by Saturday afternoon though, which my instructor could obviously see so he didn't get me to practise any more manoevures or do the e-stop/swerve.

My test was at 1:30 on Monday so we had from 9:30 to do the manoevures again and practise the speed tests. This started badly: I dropped the bike in the car park by trying to stop with the front wheel at an angle. My instructor gave me a bit of an earful but I put it behind me and in some ways was relieved to get the drop out of the way. After 5 or 6 goes my slow speed stuff was going much better so we went off to a quiet road to do the e-stop and swerve. These were really straight forward and a lot of fun! We did this a few times each and then set off for the 30 minute ride to the test centre in Cardington (via a petrol station for a coffee and banana).

I hadn't put too much pressure on myself to pass as I'm doing all of this for pleasure so didn't see the point in getting stressed about it, but when we arrived at the test centre I started to realise how much I really wanted to pass and not have to go through it all again.

One thing we hadn't really covered at all was the manual handling... I only attempted this once at the test centre which is when the full realisation of how heavy a 220kg bike is hit me. I'm stronger than most women but this was bloody hard - no doubt due largely to poor technique.

So my time came and I did the paperwork bit. The examiner was very friendly which helped with settling nerves, and the centre was empty except for me, my training partner and our instructor which was also nice. I ordered them both to stay inside and not to watch me!

No problems riding to the gate and into the parking bay, but the manual handling - as expected - was awful! It took me ages and there was lots of stopping and starting and rolling backwards and forwards. I needed to take a couple of minutes after that to get my heart rate/breathing back to normal but the examiner was fine with that and didn't put me under pressure to get going. I do really wish I'd been able to practise it more, but hey ho.

The slalom, figure of 8, slow ride and u-turn all went smoothly. It really is a case of not over thinking it and just letting the bike do the work. The controlled stop and emergency stop were incident free, but I had to re-do the swerve as I only clocked 46 or 48 kph the first time. The second was 56.

Back to car park and in for the de-brief where he told me I'd passed with 3 minors - one for the manual handling, one for some hesitation setting off for the slalom (I honestly don't remember this at all) and one for needing the second attempt at the swerve. I was so relieved I almost shed a tear! My instructor looked so happy - he must have been sure I was on for a fail after I dropped the bike in the morning.

One thing that I think helped a lot was that we had practised all the slow speed stuff in an area that was quite a lot smaller than the test site, and wasn't flat, so when it came to doing it on the lovely big, flat, open space for the test it felt easier and I was able to feel confident despite the nerves.

If I can pass first time, then really anyone can. I have next to no bike experience and was lacking confidence and smooth clutch/brake control for most of the morning of my test. It's just a case of calming yourself down and putting into practise everything you've been told. And shoulder checks! There really is no excuse to get any minors for not doing every one of these.

Mod 2 in 3 weeks, then I can think about bike shopping :mrgreen:

Well done.

Did my Mod 1 at Cardington too. Was the examiner called Mark?

Did my Mod 2 there too. Got Mark for both mine.

You can't be too far away from me if your doing your training with PRT in Letchworth.

The name Mark rings a bell, yes. I'm pretty sure I'm doing Mod 2 in Letchworth - at least I hope I am since that's where we've been riding for the last 3 days of the course!

I'm in St Albans but decided to go to Letchworth because of the good reviews of PRT and because they were really flexible about fitting my course dates around work. It's only a 30 minute drive though so not very far.

What was Mark like for Mod 2? My instructor said he's a better Mod 1 examiner than Mod 2 but didn't go into lots of detail as to why :scratch:

Do you join the local Herts/Beds ride-outs? There are so many good roads in the area but I don't know anyone else who rides so I was thinking I'm going to need to man up and go to some of these over the summer.

Mod 1 I passed no faults even though I screwed up the slalom and fig of eight going the wrong way:(, but don't let anything put you off, just keep going! I watched a guy go into 3rd gear by the speed trap, deft wrong, slowed him down stay in second and go for it. But use you're clutch on slow stuff, mod 2 ride like a w**ker! Go to the line at junctions , overtake when speed allows. I'm not like that but got marked down for being safe

• 1 month later...

Had my Mod1 today at Burton. Tons of room, nice flat, good surface. Nailed it, no bother. One minor for doing 49 for the emergency stop.

:D MOD 1 passed this morning! :D

Very very relieved about it is an understatement. I was very nervous just before the test, but I believe that sometimes nerves are a good thing to experience - it's the bodies way of making us ready for these things.

It wasn't all smooth sailing. There was no time to get any practice in before the test, just the ride to the centre which did help but no slow speed stuff which would have been a confidence booster.

The bike (not me, honest..) had a bit of an issue during the slalom - the clutch seemed to overheat a bit and wouldn't let me disengage it fully with the lever hence I wasn't able to keep up higher revs which made it tough. The examiner was great though and saw I was having a moment trying to get it into neutral before the slow ride so tried to get me to calm down and reset. I really thought that I may have to exit the test at that stage. Eventually got it into first and continued. I didn't stall it so didn't pick up any minors during that melt-down bit..

I took the test at the Poole test centre. It's a bit different, in that its not one of the new multi-purpose test pads. They use it for arctic training also. The area is quite cambered, especially around the manual handling bays and the slalom / figure of eight area which I think makes things a bit more challenging than a flat centre. Worth knowing.

I would like to thank all the previous posters to this thread, the tips and comments did make it easier and made me feel more confident about my ability to get through it. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

First post here....got my mod1 at 8:15 tomorrow at chester, hopefully I will come back tomorrow night and say I've passed. Have read everyone's posts in this thread and am aiming to put your tips into practice!

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories both of passes and fails.

Edit: passed, one minor for doing 47 on my first swerve. Mod 2 booked for next Tuesday so I'm off to read the other thread.

• 4 weeks later...

booked a mod 1 i was told their was no training slot available just ride to test.

I asked about whether that was a good idea and was told it should be fine. Rode to the center and failed on the slalom which i had passed on my varadero no issue before. so just stopped the test right then.

Spoke to a private guy who had been recommended i said i wanted a day of mod 1 training with test at the end. he replied saying i should do 3 days at a cost of £400 i told him what i thought about that and contacted my old school again.

Booked a mod 1 for last week with 4 hours training before hand £200

Despite riding alot i didnt like the swerve practice at all but on the day i got a stunning examiner who smiled alot and i passed with one minor finally. As i have taken my theory in january i now have plenty of time to get part two done.

Because i want to tour and because i like the size im buying a deauville much to my biker mates disgust.

bike is arriving Wednesday and i have beepers for the indicators and a secondhand satnav that shows speed limits and warns if your over. my dad has trader insurance so can take it to the center for me and go compare say £200 to insure it on a provisional.

the satnav is a backup on the off chance im really unsure about a road which happened last year at erith and earned me a fail. I dont forget my indicators but on the ride to mod 1 with my trainer talking about everything i kept forgetting them so for the test the beepers remove a fail for something preventable.

Im really amazed schools not put both on their bikes as they do help.

I now meet up with alot of bikers some 125,s so after my test i look forward to helping them for free and getting them passed without them spending a fortune like i did.

Mod 1 can be a problem during slow speed stuff giving yourself a day round cones the day before can really help.

good luck to anyone still trying to do theirs your always welcome at the tea hut on a wednesday night at blackheath.

if you can do mod one on a mates bike its £15 but you do need to practice for it.

in the end i just let out the clutch in first no throttle after i was moving and the bike just rolled along then i just had to maintain the balance and steering instead of worrying about brake clutch throttle steering.

dont know if this is the same for all bigger bikes but it made it really easy for me

Had my second practice session at mod1 today on the 650...high speed swerve...emergency stop all fine but cant get consistent clear runs on the slalom...fig of 8 or the U turn.

I just dont feel confident to go onto the opposite lock for a fear of falling...something is just stopping me getting on the opposite lock...I need to grasp how the get that front wheel turned faster...should I use my body weight to help me...instructor said thats up to me??? I didn't try it

On my very first session with the 650 I stalled it and dropped the bike on a turn at to slow a speed...I am not sure if this is still putting me off...that was around 5 lessons back...

Any tips guys...its very frustrating.

if you have a small 125 just practice a lot on it. the thing is you can tilt the bike and stay upright more if you like I was told don't look at the cones look ahead and just tilt the bike in and out. the bike I did it on was a very new bike so I assume maybe your bike will roll in first with no clutch as did mine. if this is the case I would try that if you can. so pull away slowly in first let off the throttle and slowly let go of the clutch the bike may do the same as mine did which is slow speed roll in which case you don't have to worry about the clutch or brake or throttle just the steering and when its done just pull in the clutch and stop as usual

try a playlist of music you like beforehand to relax I listened to it during my practice but you probably shouldn't do that.

Passed mod 1 on first attempt :D

I took it with Riders in Wolverhampton on Suzuki Gladius 650cc.

I found the on road rides were good familiarity for high speed mod 1 exercises' getting to know the sound and feeling of 32 mph in 2nd gear.

On emergency stop, I had 2 attempts to get to required speed. On hazard avoidance swerve (final exercise), I thought "do it, don't f**k it up'' so I built up speed on the curve then as I aimed for the centre of the gap between the speed measuring device cones, I thought "open full throttle and give it loads, if I come off the bike b*****ks to it"(I knew I wouldn't). I aimed for an imaginary white cone dead centre in between. As soon as I was going through speed device, throttle closed, I aimed for the centre of 2 blue cones (not looking at the blue cones but aiming for an imaginary white cone in between) as I counter steered then I kept countersteering towards last 2 cones and braked once bike was on the straight. I found aiming for the imaginary white cone kept me well clear of the real cones.

I found that 6 mph was perfect for all the slow maneuvers, including the slow walk.

On the figure of 8, you can go round the last yellow cone as long as you are showing you are in control.

I took a deep breath just before doing left and right lifesavers for every exercise

Hopefully this post on my test experience can be tips for mod 1 .

Good luck if you are taking mod 1 and thanks to you who posted who have taken mod 1. :salute:

Mod 2 to book and pass next then job done :arrow: