omg its hard!!!!!

So I started my CBT today (and I'm sure many of you will laugh at me right now!!) I tried to go in all positive and with a 'can do' attitude but omg how hard!!!

I'm clearly not a natural on a bike, and am having to do another half day tomorrow and possible sunday to get it done properly.

That hardest things I have found seems to be the clutch control and I'm really disappointed that I can't do it in one day, although I guess I would rather pass it over a few days than fail it in one day.

Just disappointing....any tips?

Just take your time. Dont feel pressured to do it quickly, youre paying to be there so you should be doing things when you feel ready to do it :)

Dont expect to be perfect on a bike straight away. Remember it is only BASIC training, pretty much just to make sure you wont kill yourself when you go out on the road within the first five minutes.

If its clutch control that is your main problem ask the examiner if you can concentrate on that for a while, like stop start stop start stop start. Once youve got that nailed then the rest all clicks in to place.

Oh and enjoy it !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi,

If you're having problems with the clutch, why didnt they put you on a twist and go? I did my CBT on one of those, learnt the clutch thing when i get my 125cc under less pressure.

My school said that as I had no experience of a bike, the twist and go would be the better option... ask them i they have one :)

If its clutch control that is your main problem ask the examiner if you can concentrate on that for a while, like stop start stop start stop start. Once youve got that nailed then the rest all clicks in to place.

Oh and enjoy it !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah we did a lot of clutch control. The last part I got to was slow clutch control following behind him then turning a corner. We did that for about an hour an a half. Before that we had done an hour or so if just pulling up to a line. It's fun but very frustrating that it's taking soooooo long. I guess I felt I should have been able to get it faster.

After an hour and a half my instructor said I was getting tired and less co-ordinated so we would call it a day. He did say I could go back this evening to practice on the bike while he was taking some lads through their module 1 test. My step dad would come with me so that i can practice just going up and down on my own.

Do you think like this sounds like a good idea? I do ache fairly but am really keen to break that problem.

Sometimes going back and doin this can make it worse, if your tired and achey, you may struggle, and get annoyed and it have a negative effect.

I would try tomorrow, but only you know how you feel :)

Id say leave it for the day mate. You wont be as alert as you were earlier. When you wake up tomorrow youll be all fresh and ready to go. Like Vicki said, maybe if youre still having trouble at the end of the day you could ask just to go out on a twist and go?

You then have the CBT can get a 125 and just practice in your own time.

A twist and go is a 'scooter' right.....I did see one of those but I also wanted to go straight onto direct access and want to really do it before my holiday ends in 3 weeks time so I'm figuring I'm going to have to do it sooner or later....but best laid plans eh...

and I guess a CBT is better than none, so will ask tomorrow, thanks

I thought if you did a CBT on the scooter then you can actually only ride a scooter and not a 125cc bike after you've completed your CBT though? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong :lol:

I thought that too, but just been speaking to someone who did CBT on a scooter and is now riding a 125, though he says he wish he hadn't because he then found riding a geared 125 really hard as he hadn't learned any clutch control

I thought if you did a CBT on the scooter then you can actually only ride a scooter and not a 125cc bike after you've completed your CBT though? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong :lol:

All I can say is when i did mine (5 years ago so may have changed?) I did it on a twist and go and this gave me my CBT certificate permitting me to drive up to a 125cc geared bike.

Worth asking them :)

If you strugging now, you may need a lot of experience, and DAS may not be the best option.... your instructor should give you their opinion, and you will know how u feel yourself :)

After checkin online I believe that you CAN choose whether to do CBT on 125 or twist and go to obtain the certificate, then ride a 125cc geared bike.

I thought that too, but just been speaking to someone who did CBT on a scooter and is now riding a 125, though he says he wish he hadn't because he then found riding a geared 125 really hard as he hadn't learned any clutch control

Just comes with time and experience... and being chilled out and not under pressure, I hated my CBT and felt pretty stupid, cos other people grasped it and I was shit! I decided to get the certificate then practice on me own. All different, so your call :)

Just chillax. I nearly rode straight into a telegraph pole on my CBT! I was coming out of a junction turning right and couldn't get it right, went for what I thought was the brake (after riding a push bike for so long) and took the clutch in, got confused so banged it back out, jerked the bike, legs went everywhere, traffic stopped and people laughed and off I went kangarooing down the rode like an idiot :D That and stalling it countless times, nearly coming off and being scared to go right at roundabouts!

Don't worry, like MtotheJ said you'll feel fresher and more ready for it tomorrow. After sleeping on it and riding 'round for half an hour you'll become all natural-like and will wonder what the problem was, I promise!

Thanks guys, i feel a bit better about it. I decided not to go out the evening as I ache and half the problem was my clutch hand was seizing up so I'm sure it wouldn't help now that everything is aching!!

Also I do know something I was shy of was the throttle, not making clutch control any easier....Even though I've been sat on the back of an extremely loud Ducati for a year, the noise still surprised me and I applied car logic to it I think...too much noise =too many revs / wrong gear/ need less gas etc etc

It might be worth just concentrating on getting the CBT and being happy with a 125 on Ls to start with, after all I have got my eye on an Aprilia 125.....tho my step dad has already done the whole 'you would be better on something without the sports fairings' and 'it's a 2 stroke....might not be the best Idea' :roll: I always like the unsuitable stuff!!!

I have my theory test booked next sat, so I guess it wont do any harm to pass that and the CBT in preparation for the next level. Guess sometimes all the best things come to those who wait.

Well, I went again today, and came off once, nearly twice!!! Sorted the clutch control on the straights but had trouble turning corners!!! Something I was ok with yesterday!!

It was also windy too which didn't help. In the end, my instructor got out some cones and made me do a Slalom, and hey presto......corners sorted and clutch control sorted.....probably because I was having to work it out for myself instead of listening to him....although he is a great instructor im just that kind of learner.

After 3 hours (with an hour break in between) I aches and my clutch hand was sore, leading to me losing concentration, so it was time to stop, more time tomorrow :) Still I feel a bit of progress coming on.

relax and enjoy it i would say and it will come a bit easier! it does take time though and as has been said the more tired you become the more chance of things becoming harder so sleep well and concerntrate on enjoyment dont worry it will come in time! i was the same and one day it just comes

Dana

You are describing exactly to a T the same problems I have had too.... One thing my trainer realised was that when I got frustrated it was time for a breather, a drink, pit stop whatever then got back on and gave me something else/new to focus on and the previous problem I was getting hung up on, sorted itself out.

I managed to do a bit of off roading onto a grass verge (no curb) in a car park, by two feet...long story....but the instructor was very impressed because in wet conditions I kept the bike upright, got it off the grass and just continued on my merry way. (albeit I was inwardly shaking like mad LOL)

The way I look at it - I want to get it right and feel right so if it takes longer fine, but once its there, I will always have it... I see the 8th is your next date, snap, so good luck and enjoy it

Dana

You are describing exactly to a T the same problems I have had too.... One thing my trainer realised was that when I got frustrated it was time for a breather, a drink, pit stop whatever then got back on and gave me something else/new to focus on and the previous problem I was getting hung up on, sorted itself out.

I managed to do a bit of off roading onto a grass verge (no curb) in a car park, by two feet...long story....but the instructor was very impressed because in wet conditions I kept the bike upright, got it off the grass and just continued on my merry way. (albeit I was inwardly shaking like mad LOL)

The way I look at it - I want to get it right and feel right so if it takes longer fine, but once its there, I will always have it... I see the 8th is your next date, snap, so good luck and enjoy it

Ah yes my instructor has realised that by giving me a break, and changing the focus of the problem I can crack it!! I often do two hours then an hour break then another hour. I'm nearly through it. I'm doing it a bit at a time, so tomorrow I'm working on figure of 8, emergency stop, U turns and observations - depending on what I get done in the two hours I have tomorrow. It might be all of it, or it might be less of it.

Then my next day is thursday, to do the hours talk or anything I havent done, then it might not be until the next week that I get the min 2 hour road ride, we will have to see.

My theory test is on the 8th, which I'm not too worried about. I know I'm ticking things off the CBT list now and know that, like you, once I have got it, it will be there for life and I will know how to do it well. My instructor said I will probably be a better rider in the long run than some of the 17 yr olds that pass it quickly.

Edited by Dana_leigh