Some advice please

Hello :)

I am 21, have done my bike theory test, have had a full driving licence since I was 17 but have always had quads/tractors on the farm and recently got an off road ts 125 a few years ago. I completed my CBT yesterday and although it was my first time on the road with a bike, apparently my road positioning, checks, observations etc are spot on and so are gear changes etc...but my problem is basically clutch control on the slow parts- figures of 8, u-turn etc. Tbh I was expecting problems here!

But anyway my plan was to go straight on to do the DAS- as I figured that with previous experience I might be ok (especially as some people go completely from scratch) but the instructor says I am not ready for this- fair enough- but he is sure that with three days worth of training I would pass the A2 no problem. He reckons I would crack the slow movement control problem on the first day.

I dont mind being restricted for two years- but I dont want to stay on a smaller bike forever lol

So Im wondering- is it best to go from a 125 to a 250/400 restricted and then, probably after my restriction is up, get a 600 (quite fancy a bandit/fazer :) )?

The reason I ask is he says that a lot of people scare themselves with a bigger bike straight away and he told one of the other lads that if you stall a big bike you'll be sitting on the floor next to it! :shock:

Thanks for reading this and any advice given :)

I am no expert rider or anything, so take what I say as my personal experience.

You have one up on me because it sounds like you have 4 years car experience (I have none) and you were really good on your CBT (I was as good as could be expected, but not that good). I went back the next 3 days after my CBT, doing 1 more day on the 125 then 2 days on the 500. On that last day I passed my Mod 1 and tomorrow I take my Mod 2 on that same 500.

Going from 125 to 500 was scary before I pulled away, then I found the 500 easier (especially at slower speeds) because it's easier to balance. You will get the slow speed stuff sorted in a couple of hours if you spend time on that in particular as I did. Don't be afraid to drag the back brake if necessary.

From what you have said I would go straight for the DAS; it's not the huge deal some people seem to make out and my instructor even said he thinks it's easier (due to the balance of a heavier bike).

As I said, I don't even have a licence yet so what do I know. That's just my experience.

I reccomend that you go for the DAS. You will be much safer on a bigger bike and they are not as scary as people seem to portray.

You will find that you are a little nervous on a bigger bike at first but after time with an instructor and practice you will be fine, if you go for the restricted I think that you may regret it.

Go for the DAS, I started learning from scratch and had issues with clutch control. It took me a week to pass my CBT but once I had that sorted, getting on a 500 was much easier.

Clutch control needs to be mastered but once that is done your sorted. I found the 500 to have better balance and feel more 'stable'. When out in the wind I felt more secure and control was no different.

I spent an extra couple of hours after my CBT out on the 125 to make sure I mastered the clutch, then straight onto the 500. I dropped it twice, both at a standstill, which hurt my pride more than my body, but it happens.

Go for the 500, its not such a bigger deal and if I can do it, anyone can!!!

if you do go for the A2, and your patient enough, then just ride around on a 125 during restriction (although the longest ive seen from a person is about a month (apart from myself :lol: :lol: ))

250cc tend to be <33BHP anyway, therefore dont need to be restricted, but there not as common as their 125/400 counterparts.

remember, the only difference between having the dreaded "=<25KW" printed on your licence and not having it printed is the size of bike you take your test on, nothing else :D

Have you thought of having a lesson on a 500 to see how you get on, personally I think you will be very pleasantly surprised for all the reasons given above - I found the 500 easier as it felt more grounded and was less twitchy. I've heard lots of instructors say they think a bigger bike is easier to learn on, but the only person whose opinion really matters is yours, so maybe have a lesson and see what you think??