got my license! :D

yep im a real biker now! :mrgreen: still havent whiped the grin of my face lol.

I passed my theory with ease tbh. I failed mod 1 first time as I messed up on the emergency stop and made my back wheel slide out, I knew instantly it was a fail. I re-booked mod 1 a week later and passed with 1 minor, so that got my confidence back up! I then checked to see when I could book my mod 2 and it was the day after my mod1 pass (which was today), so i thought 'f**k it, lets just go for it!' so i booked that with no instructer training and no training at all really! Anyway long story short I passed my mod 2 with four minors :mrgreen: I went with the attitude that I was sure to fail but it will be a learning experience, but I passed first time round. When he told me that I passed my reaction was like "oh, ok thanks" but when i got outside I could of wet myself with excitement lol, I was almost dancing at my girlfriends house, I was that happy lol.

Anyway I passed all test in 3 weeks of eachother, not a bad result with no training! So goddam happy lol. I'm going to put a deposit down for a Honda hornet 600 that i've seen, and hopefully should be riding by the weekend!! :mrgreen: :D

Anyway I passed all test in 3 weeks of eachother, not a bad result with no training! So goddam happy lol. I'm going to put a deposit down for a Honda hornet 600 that i've seen, and hopefully should be riding by the weekend!! :mrgreen: :D

Congrats on the pass, but....

NO TRAINING? :shock: Hate to rain on your parade, but passing without training isn't something to be proud of, in my view. Sorry, but jumping onto a 600 with NO training is madness, and its even worse that you're in Kent riding the same roads as me and my son.

What a crazy test system we have that allows someone to jump on a bike and with only a few hours CBT go on to pass a test that gives full licence access to a big bike (restricted) within weeks.

And yes, I know that you have a few weeks 125 experience, but I also know that you have had at LEAST 3 accidents in those few weeks! And a near miss or several, such as...

the other day i was filtering and a bmw came to the center of the lane so i couldnt pass. i came to a set of traffic lights with both of us at the front, so i went to the curb side and got to the front of him. next thing i know he caines it and does overtakes me only get held up by the same half a mile stretch off traffic. i go to overtake him when the traffic starts moving and he speeds up and almost causes me to crash into a road island.

:roll:

Well done tbh the learning starts now anyway, and to have passed you must have some awareness and road craft!

I honestly dont see how the difference between no training and a couple of days makes that much of a difference...again well done!

cheers lol :D

ok bogof.. thanks but... not having to spend £400 on training is a result for me. you make it sound like im a shit driver, I been driving for 3 years, so have SOME experience. And besides I passed my test, so clearly I cant be that retarded.

Also whos to say I havent thought about enhanced rider schemes to improve my riding? At the end of the day you have no idea how I ride, so cheers for pissing on my parade...

and that incident you quoted has no relevance as the driver was a prick who tried to make me swerve into an island..

.and that incident you quoted has no relevance as the driver was a prick who tried to make me swerve into an island..

I dont want to piss on your parade either, but at the end of the day you are on a bike and the "prick" as you put it, is in almost 2 tons of metal,you will come off worse in any contact.

Chill out when you get your Hornet,you will be able to out accelerate any car you come up against, so having a bit of restraint especially in town will leave you with the feeling "I can pass you if I want,but I chose to stay here".

Dont become another biker that someone like me has to tell the parents/wife/boyfriend that they are dead.

.and that incident you quoted has no relevance as the driver was a prick who tried to make me swerve into an island..

I dont want to piss on your parade either, but at the end of the day you are on a bike and the "prick" as you put it, is in almost 2 tons of metal,you will come off worse in any contact.

Chill out when you get your Hornet,you will be able to out accelerate any car you come up against, so having a bit of restraint especially in town will leave you with the feeling "I can pass you if I want,but I chose to stay here".

Dont become another biker that someone like me has to tell the parents/wife/boyfriend that they are dead.

Well thanks for clarifying that for us, wondered who would come off worse car or bike, after all theres never any threads on the boards complaining of wanky car drivers :roll:

Can we now keep this on topic please!

Congratulations on passing!

I must admit I was quite aghast at how quickly you'd done it, but then if you're capable of passing the test then it indicates you ride to the acceptable standard. So well done!

I did the DSA enhanced rider scheme shortly after I passed, it was a 2 day course, but depending on who runs it, it's done differently. I really enjoyed it and picked up some pointers. And I got a reduction on my insurance :thumb:

Nice one on passing test, i also did all of my tests without any official training as could not afford it, but did have over a years riding on a 125 and spent alot of time reading up on how to ride, and other peoples experiences. Also had over 5 years car driving too.

I too have thought about taking further training once i p/x my vara 125 for also a hornet 600, restricted. Only one thing I would say is, the guy is right about no point getting involved with wreckless drivers, as you explained about the BMW driver. I think by passing him on kerbside would of just pissed him off further, just let them speed off, isnt worth losing life over.

Anyway enjoy the hornet when it comes, dont forget the pics!

Well done on passing your test mate..just go easy and get a feel for the road and the new bike..not the best time of year to pass and head out on the highway but summer is just around the corner.. :D

Time and training doesn't necessarily make someone a good driver/rider, and someone who hasn't had that training could still be a skilled driver/rider.

Some people just have a knack for it, like i imagine memame does, and i did! I would have been fully licensed within the month if i could had afforded it!

Congratulations mate, happy and safe riding :)

Time and training doesn't necessarily make someone a good driver/rider, and someone who hasn't had that training could still be a skilled driver/rider.

I agree it doesn't necessarily make someone good, but you have a much better chance of being a better and safer rider if you DO have training.

Congrats Memame on the pass :)

well done pal, enjoy it and take your time to be honest 600 quid and training dont make you a good rider theres plenty that have had training and are still crap riders. :cheers:

Depends on the definition of "good" I guess.

@Memame: Glad to hear you're looking at ERS. Good luck :)

5.3.6 An evaluation of a one-day motorcycle training course in the UK in 1987 (before the introduction of CBT) compared a group of 78 riders who undertook a one-day motorcycle training programme, with a matched control group of 62 learner riders who received no training. Both groups were tested immediately after the training course and again two months later. The study concluded that the trained riders committed fewer errors immediately after they had been trained. Over the following two months the skills of both groups improved, but the trained group still committed fewer errors. The untrained riders committed two - two and half times as many errors, which were mainly poor rearward observation and problems maintaining balance.

http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/rospa5.htm

Bogof, whats the difference between training and no training? They dont teach you to ride a more powerful bike they just teach you to pass the test...

Quite a few people have gone straight to 600's with no training, me included. It makes no difference...

EDIT :advanced and further training im not talking about!

EDIT 2: Maybe i read it wrong, im referring to the power of the bike thats all. :D

not having to spend £400 on training is a result for me. you make it sound like im a shit driver, I been driving for 3 years, so have SOME experience. And besides I passed my test, so clearly I cant be that retarded.

I didn't see anyone calling you retarded.

It's a shame that training is expensive (although I can see why it costs what it does!) In my opinion too many people look at training as some kind of expensive chore. I guess it depends whether you just want to be trained to pass a test, or be trained because you believe that it might make you safer on the roads.

Is £400 really THAT much if it gives you the chance to be a more skilled and safer rider? In my opinion no!

A lot of people spend £400 on a helmet (because it has the "right" name! ) to improve their chances of survival on the roads, why do some people think spending money on training is such a low priority?

Bogof, whats the difference between training and no training? They dont teach you to ride a more powerful bike they just teach you to pass the test...

Quite a few people have gone straight to 600's with no training, me included. It makes no difference...

The Department for Transport who, in all likelihood, are a little more "in the know" when it comes to transport related matters than you are, seem to disagree that it "makes no difference".

From their annual Reported Road Casuallties publication for 2008... "Motorcyclists represent 19 per cent of fatalities and only 1 per cent of traffic – we have an on-going programme of research to look at training and testing as well as understanding the characteristics of motorcyclists."

So they seem to think training is an important factor.

RoSPA also place great importance on training. See my previous post just above yours for a quote.

I fail to understand why people think it's OK to ride without training first. To me, its a stupid as advising someone to ride without safety gear.

In answer to your question juniper.... I dont think £400 to spend on training is a bad desicion if it makes me ride safer, but I werent going to pay £400 to be taught how to go round a set of cones...

Im all up for staying alive, if a real training course was available to me then i'd do it, but being a student with f**k all money then its not in my best interest to spend a large sum of money to be taught "lifesaver when turning off a roundabout" when I could do it myself.. To put it simply the training i referred to was specifically aimed at allowing me to pass my test and since I did pass therotically my driving should be to that standard anyway.