Bikers Support Wootton Bassett

Susieque

im going to this with so of my m8s staying at the travel lodge at near by coming from notts riding down sat afyernoon pete

Are you staying at the Eastbound one? If so see you Saturday.

Total number of bikes already registered: 9333

Total number of riders already registered: 12881 (inc pillion)

1 week left to register.

From the group organisers on facebook

After the meeting today with the authorities and the unprecedented response from the biking community we have been asked to close registration one week early. It will unfortunately NOT be re-opening.

We would like to reassure everyone that the ride IS GOING AHEAD WITH the FULL support of the police and local authorities. We have spoken to a few local businesses who are all looking forward to the day. ALL bikes will be riding through Wootton Bassett no matter what you may have heard.

Plan details re: routes, times, wristbands, will be made available in document format soon. We have another meeting with the police next week to discuss the finer details.

We can confirm that we will NOT be riding on any stretches of the motorway.

We would like to apologise to anybody who has not registered however wanted to join us, we thank everybody for their patience and support.Thank you for your patience!

Lizzie, Daniel & Julia

There's in excess of 10k bikes expected now.

The organisers (not Afghan Heroes, just 3 people) are pulling their hair out and are trying to sort it all out. RAF Lyneham still support the run but the numbers are far too big for them to cope with.

I am going down with a group i'm meeting in St Helen's on the 13th, i'm staying in a picturesque B&B off the M32 and coming back on the 15th.

From the group organisers on facebook

After the meeting today with the authorities and the unprecedented response from the biking community we have been asked to close registration one week early. It will unfortunately NOT be re-opening.

We would like to reassure everyone that the ride IS GOING AHEAD WITH the FULL support of the police and local authorities. We have spoken to a few local businesses who are all looking forward to the day. ALL bikes will be riding through Wootton Bassett no matter what you may have heard.

Plan details re: routes, times, wristbands, will be made available in document format soon. We have another meeting with the police next week to discuss the finer details.

We can confirm that we will NOT be riding on any stretches of the motorway.

We would like to apologise to anybody who has not registered however wanted to join us, we thank everybody for their patience and support.Thank you for your patience!

Lizzie, Daniel & Julia

Total number of bikes registered: 10331

Total number of riders registered: 14299 (inc pillion)

New updates. Please pass this on to as many as possible:

I was too late to register, can I still come?

Obviously we cannot prevent people from using the public highways, but the organisers would like to ask those who have not registered to please stay away. If thousands of additional bikes turn up on the day there is a distinct possibility that the event may be badly disrupted or worse, shut down. The purpose of the event is to show support to the people of Wootton Bassett and to raise funds to support our troops and their families. The best way for this to happen is for the event to run as smoothly as possible. we are very sorry if you did not manage to register and we thank you for your continued support, but please do not just turn up. There are other ways to support us, such as donations, buying a wristband or helping to set up/run an event in your local area etc.

http://blog.afghanheroes.org.uk/2010/02 ... -ride-faq/

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the Wooten Basset rideout and i have to say it was a pretty good one...initial chaos at Hullavington Airfield and the alloted arrival times idea went straight out the window as 6,000 unregistered bikers showed up as well as the 10,500 registered...it took me 3 hours to get onto the road to Basset which wasnt to bad as i learned that a lot of folks had been stuck there a lot longer...great ride through the villages to Wooten and when we got to the town the locals had turned out in numbers to welcome us in..only pity was not being able to stop off in the town and have a cider but with the volume of bikes it was understandable that the police wanted people through and out of the place ASAP...weather was great...bad smash involving bikes outside the Churchill PH just outside Wooten and it looked bad with paramedics and fire engines in attendance so not sure what that was all about...just hope the riders are ok..alll in all a great day out and im sure it raised a wedge for our boys and girls in Afghanistan..brilliant :cheers:

518 mile round trip for me and 14 hours from out to home. Boring motorway run there n back but a superb time down on the run, Loved it!!! absolutely stunning atmosphere 8-) WOW!!! is all I can say :D :D :D

Well done all that went... would have loved to, but would have been a total mess riding down the street in Wooton Bassett... proud of you all.... photos?

Wow what a weekend.

Went down on the Saturday and hit The Jolly Huntsman pub it was great will proper scrumy cider :cheers:

Sunday was brilliant, 9-10 slot with no probs getting onto the airfield. Think we left about 11.15. so not to bad. I had a lump in my throat and eyes were filling up when I entered Wooton Bassett. To see that many people cheering, clapping & shouting out thank you was just so WOW!

Then returned back to The Jolly Huntsman to finish off the day with a coke.

This was a ride I will never forget.

Photo's coming as soon as I can get them to load on the computer.