Module1 - Slow Control

Guest stuey

Hello all,

I'm booked on doing my Module1 on Tuesday (27th April), but am worried about the slow control/walk manoeuvre. I have only ridden and practised this on my 125, but no matter what I do, the bike always starts to 'wander' and swerve from side to side.

I've read about gripping the tank with your knees, relaxing the arms, but even once I do this there is still no difference. I have put in about 1500 miles on my 125 since pasing my CBT, but still cannot seem to master this. What am I doing wrong :?:

I have watched the DSA Youtube video (of the woman doing her Mod1 and keeping her scooter practically in a straight line) and I'm no way near this. The front swerves about by say 1 foot or 2 (about half a metre for the younger whipper snappers amongst us :D) .

I am doing my Module1 test on a bigger bike (think it will be a Kawasaki 500cc), will the bigger bike make it more stable? If I do swerve by a foot or two, will I fail on the Mod1 test for this?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

Stu

The bigger bike should be easier, or at least that's what I found.

No idea if a little bit of wobbling will be a fail or not, two foot sounds quite extreme at that speed.

The bigger bikes are definatley easier to do the slow manuvre with, keep the rev's up and control with plenty of back brake and lots of clutch control. If you do feel a wobble coming on get the revs higher, imagine its like a gyroscope, the more ist turning the more stable it will be.

Are you doing it throuh a training school? If so just ask them do focus on that when you have your pre test lesson...

I've never slow-ridden since passing mod1, I didn't even slow ride on mod2...

Am I the only one? Seems strange that there's so much emphasis on slow riding yet I've never done it since.

Am I the only one? Seems strange that there's so much emphasis on slow riding yet I've never done it since.

have you not done slow riding in traffic at rush hour time for instance? Ive done it loads since i passed my test

Hmmmm....

I was taught that slow riding was a combination of revs, clutch and foot brake, a combination I've never used since. (I remember saying to my instructor that revving the engine whilst applying the foot brake was the most un-natural thing I'd ever done in a motor vehicle).

In slow moving traffic I use varying clutch lever pressure and the engines idle speed to match the speed of the traffic, if I get it wrong and start catching up to the vehicle in front, I apply the foot brake and engage the clutch to slow down/come to a halt. If idle speed is too slow for traffic speeds then I apply gentle revs.

I never brake and accelerate at the same time.

Might sound strange but it makes perfect sense to me.

regardless of weather or not you've used it since you passed you still have to do it to pass!

I personally use it all the time in traffic so I don't have to stop and put my foot down.

the rear brake is quite important, its like an extra bit of force so you can keep the revs up...

Totally disagree

Opposite for me in fact

Slow control, for move off's, same in petrol station's, parking, etc.

Slow moving traffic apart I use it all the time.

I do a lot of slow control in traffic but again I'm not exactly keeping it in a straight line. Think if I could put my foot down whilst doing this in traffic it would help, but better not do that or may do it on the Mod1 test :shock:

I will try the high revs, back brake and clutch on biting point tip...

regardless of weather or not you've used it since you passed you still have to do it to pass!

I completely agree, I spent a long time perfecting my slow ride for the purpose of passing mod1, much the same as U-turns I'd say, I can count on one hand the amount of U-turns I've done since passing my test (and not one of them was absolutely necessary), but I spent plenty of time practising them.

I mentioned the slow ride thing just to find out if I'm the only one who doesn't do it any more.

I will try the high revs, back brake and clutch on biting point tip...

Works for me. Well, worked for me on Module 1. One thing not to forget though... Look where you are going and not on your frontal wheel or speedo... That is what sorts out all wobbling...

High revs, really careful on the clutch and back brake only.

Another thing that definately helps is where you are looking...

Stare at a fixed point on the horizon (or at the end of the testing yard) and NOT at your feet, wheels, tarmac or the instructor. If you do, you are massively more likely to wobble.

Finally, if you try going too slow, the examiner will actually slow his walking pace. So keep behind him, but keep up with him.

Dont look right in front of you ..... pick a point in the distance and focus at heading towards that. Its the one thing that keeps your balance right.

Also like other have said, back brake and slip the clutch with highish revs, but remember to look in the distance at an object, it makes it sooooo much easier.