MOD 1 - FAIL!!! ARRGGHHHHH!!!!

Took my mod 1 today....

Meet up at training school at 730am, Not a good time of the day for me, Jumped on the bike and headed off to the car park for some practice, Man i sucked, Nothing seemed to be happening for me, My clutch control was terrible and i was really learchy. The instructor didnt help either. He was talking to me like i was a 6yr old which really wound me up!

We went for a road ride which werent much better, my riding wasnt very confident at all which is a first for me..We pulled up in a quiet road and practiced the swerve test (Which was the first time ive ever tried it and with my test only 15mins away i wasnt that impressed)

Long story short we arrive at the test center and check though my paper work, Im told to ride into the test center then my test began...

Everything went well, Bike handling fine, Salom no problems, wizz round my figures of 8 which is normally my weakest event so to speak but this time it was all good. Im then sent round the top of the car park for the swerve test. Swerve test completed, though the cones ok and stopped easily in the box. "Good one" i think to myself, U turn next, thats done fine, slow ridings up next, i had been worrying about that one all morning as for some reason i just couldnt do it in the mornings practice, glide though that ok. Next its the emergency stop, once again thats fine, spot on, Im starting to believe in my mind that ive done ok...Im asked to do the swerve test again..which i do spot on. Examiner comes over and asks if i can park the bike and meet him indoors..

So i meet him in the building. In the back of my mind im sure ive passed untill i hear the dreaded words.."Sorry DaddyG but uve failed!" Turns out id failed on speed requirement on the swerve test..First time was 47kph, second 48kph! Other then that i scored no minors and the examiner said everything else was more then fine! ARRGGHHHH i was so angry, infact i still am, im so angry i feel sick! 1.2mph out! Ive booked another test but its not till the end of May!

£144 for another test, thats the most expensive 8 mins of my life!

Unlucky mate. If it makes you feel any better, it took me 3 attempts - each at £145!

It's so much because the fee covers the cost of the test, plus the hiring of the 600cc bike and the instructor for the day.

I initially was a little worried about hitting the speed, but found that if i spent the morning (or whatever practice time you have) always in second gear, you get a feel for what the bike is like at 30(ish) miles an hour. Listen to the revs and remember that sound. You then won't have to think about looking at your speed and you won't hit that bloody cone like I did!

If you did'nt do the mock mod 1 at MPTC, with speed trap practice

(your training school would have free access to that by booking)

then you done o.k

Unless you know what speed to be going " i.e engine sound", by practice, you were unlikely to hit speed.

Don't beat yourself up,

training school sounds a badun :(

thats the thing, there had been no run though of the test etc and the first time i had tried the swerve test was 15 mins before the test on a quiet road!

Im so annoyed that everything went so well yet i still failed!, by 2kph! Im even more gutted that i cant get another test untill the end of may!

at least i know what to exepect for next time i guess.

Don't give up just yet, next time you'll pass for sure.

I am just surprised how many people fail to get the required speed by just 1-3kph. There is no common sense in this test and surely there should be a small margin for an error.

I am doing my MOD1 next year but I am worrying already.

Sorry to hear that mate. Not good when you have to folk out again.

Dont some schools do a free re test if you fail. (Mine did. But that was before the new test)

If you did'nt do the mock mod 1 at MPTC, with speed trap practice(

Speed trap Practice WTF Is this right

Don't give up just yet, next time you'll pass for sure.

I am just surprised how many people fail to get the required speed by just 1-3kph. There is no common sense in this test and surely there should be a small margin for an error.

I am doing my MOD1 next year but I am worrying already.

Mod 1 is nothing to worry about really, especially considering the price (£15) in comparrison to Mod 2 (£75) :(

Sorry to hear that mate. Not good when you have to folk out again.

Dont some schools do a free re test if you fail. (Mine did. But that was before the new test)

If you did'nt do the mock mod 1 at MPTC, with speed trap practice(

Speed trap Practice WTF Is this right

Its a mock test at mptc were "DECENT" schools who do DAS book a slot & have use of the actual equipment to test your speed on avoidence ,& emergency stop,

£144 - re test fee + lesson beforehand etc etc!

soooooooooooooo annoyed because the rest of the test was fine! Just missed out on 1.2mph!

Your being ripped off mate, well and truly !!!

If all your getting is a retest and a lesson before hand (lesson 2hrs ? £60 tops) if the lessons isnt 2 hours before hand then i'd be having serious words with the instructor !

Test fee is £15.50 ... Quick blast before test and hire for the test duration should be no more than 1 hour ... even if he asked £40 which IMO is steep anyway !!

So 1 hour total inc test should be £50.50 !

Bad luck on the first try though ... the best riders pass 2nd time :D

Unlucky mate, what I would say is to go and hire a 125 for the day and practise on some industrial estate. Get used to accelerating quickly up to 30-35mph and then countersteer left/right. The more you get used to accelerating up and then swerving and quickly stopping the better I found.

What also helped for me was to ride the bend of the swerve test at around 20-25mph (this is very achievable due to the surafce on the Mod1 test centre), then its not a great deal more to accelerate to the 50kph.

It also doesn't help when you fail on something so basic; would be much better if you could rebook and have another go on the same day or following day ... would take off the pressure abit I think.

Good luck, you'll get there.

hi, I am an instructor for Eurorider and I have to comment on you not being trained on the swerve test until the last minute before your test. This is totally wrong and you should switch your school. With the correct training the swerve test is do-able, but going to your test without much training is not acceptable. I don't believe the swerve test as it stands is right and the minimum speed is too high (31.7mph) but you should have been trainied for it from the start of your training to gain a full licence.

One tip for your next go - Try and get the bike up to 33-35 mph and as soon as you get past the speed trap, roll off the throttle and then perform the swerve while the bike is slowing as it sounds as if you are rolling off a little too early which is a natural thing to do.

I know its a difficult thing to do to roll off the throttle at the last minute (which is why I don't agree with the current swerve test) but if you do this, you will fly the test with no problems.

I hope you pass next time around.

Take a look at this video

">
it looks like the DSA equiptment is showing a diferent speed to this guys motorcycle anyhow so a conspiracy theorist may argue that its calibrated 2mph out to make us take more tests :roll:

I was out on my test by .5 of a mile per hour and FAILED

So dont think its you that Failed more the Driving standards Agency and your instructor failed YOU :lol:

Cheers for the info people, Theres certainly some food for thought, id love to switch schools as im not really happy at the level of training ive been recieving, Problem is ive paid for everything up front allready, d'oh!

It shouldn't be a big issue. I don't know why people complain about it so much (i don't mean you, daddyG, i mean people saying it shouldnt be in the test etc). You get two goes. If you were aiming for 30 mph and got just under, then next time aim for 35 or 40. You get an enormous distance to come to a stop, so that's not a problem when ity comes to speed. The only thing is that the swerve 'resists' a bit more when you go faster. But the actual swerve required is TINY! it just seems hard because the person doing the test is being 'tested'. If you were dodging a manhole cover on the road on your own you'd do it without even thinking.

I'd suggest aiming for 34/35mph first go. If you end up too slow then give it some welly on the next attempt! (if your struggling with making a decent swerve then try concentrating on bending your arms so you push forwards, and not down&forwards. Forwards on it's own is much more responsive and you can do it very gently)