Reaction lens ... Visor :)

Wouldnt this be a good idea?

Why dont companies that make visors use the same stuff that those reaction lens glasses use ?

They react to the sun light and get dark as the sun gets stronger, seems a no brainer to me ... innit ?

Good idea...

the only issue I can think is distribution of light reactive particles evenly across the visor...if you introduce particles to plastic then you end up with flow lines so you'd have stripes across the visor emanating from the injection point.

Could be quite attractive though...

EDIT: can end up with flow lines, depending on the size of the particle and the nature of the raw material...

AND.... I don't think they are legal in Britain? Kitemark or E3 or whatever .... hence we haven't seen em for sale ... :(

Like I said last time this was posted, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

They are for sale on UK ebay. Not sure if they are legal tho. And yeah, they are slow. Over 2 minutes from clear to tinted (according to test in my 3rd link) That would be a problem when riding in to a tunnel...

They are for sale on UK ebay. Not sure if they are legal tho. And yeah, they are slow. Over 2 minutes from clear to tinted (according to test in my 3rd link) That would be a problem when riding in to a tunnel...

no more so than having a tinted visor (ie. you jsut lift it for the duration of the tunnel). This way you'd jsut need to only take one visor with you and not ahve to worry about night time as it'd be changed to clear for ride home.

will ahve to look into these, could be very useful

I would always advise that people should ride through the tunnel .... riding into the tunnel may be sore and lead to broken bones n stuff :)

Serously though ... no much worse than a tinted visor really, 2 mins change time is quicker than stopping and changing from clear to tinted visors ... no ?

AND.... I don't think they are legal in Britain? Kitemark or E3 or whatever .... hence we haven't seen em for sale ... :(

Like I said last time this was posted, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

I don't think any Visor insets are Illegal, as they are not classed as eye protection, But it are now illegal to sell certain tints,

Two companies have been fined and ordered to pay costs of more than £17,000 after pleading guilty to marketing dangerous crash helmet visor inserts following a successful prosecution by Northamptonshire County Council’s trading standards officers

Monday, 5 July 2004

Two companies have been fined and ordered to pay costs of more than £17,000 after pleading guilty to marketing dangerous crash helmet visor inserts following a successful prosecution by Northamptonshire County Council’s trading standards officers

Magistrates at Kettering Magistrates Court heard how Motrax Motorcycle Accessories Ltd (part of the Frank Thomas Group) of Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire, and Visionary Ideas Ltd, of Kingston on Thames Surrey, marketed the coloured plastic visor inserts, which were designed to fit inside a riders crash helmet visor.

However tests found the inserts allowed as little as four per cent of light to pass through, and in some cases affected the riders’ ability to identify traffic light colours.

Trading standards officers in Northamptonshire were alerted to the unsafe inserts following concerns by Dorset Police. The force examined the crash helmet visor insert of a rider who was involved in a fatal accident in 2003. The helmet was fitted on the inside with a Motrax Gold plastic visor insert.

As a result of the police’s concerns, trading standards officers in Northamptonshire asked The British Standards Institute to carry out tests on the inserts. Results showed that the blue and gold plastic inserts transmitted only four per cent and eight per cent of light respectively.

Examination of the visor inserts and results by ROSPA (The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) concluded that “these extremely low levels of light transmittance would very seriously reduce the riders’ ability to see and perceive hazards”

Cabinet member responsible for trading standards Councillor James Ashton said: “Businesses must realise their responsibility to ensure that any goods they market are safe, properly described and comply with other relevant legislation.

“Where they fail to do this, they can put lives at risk and as this case taken by trading standards demonstrates, action will be taken to punish those who fail in this duty.”

Both companies accepted they had taken few steps to check that the products complied with safety legislation.

Motrax had relied on verbal assurances from Visionary, which had falsely stated on packaging that the insert “cuts out 50 per cent of ambient light”, when in fact it cut out 94 per cent.

Motrax has now incorporated new procedures to ensure that goods are tested and results known before marketing, and was now arranging recalls of the product.

The two companies were prosecuted under the General Products Safety

Regulations 1994 and the Trade Descriptions Act 1968.

The fines and costs totalled £17,579.

Motrax pleaded guilty to four charges under the General Products Safety

Regulations 1994. £1,500 for each charge.

Visionary pleaded guilty to three charges under the General Products Safety

Regulations 1994 and one under the Trade Descriptions Act 1968. £2,000 for each charge.

The rest was in costs.

I think Motrax withdrew these very dark visors and still market the others.

BTW i used to use Motrax tinted inserts myself, and

in some cases affected the riders’ ability to identify traffic light colours.

Is a load of Gonads, i never had any problems at traffic lights, IMHO it was just the police trying to close a loophole in the visor law.

Used to have a fog city reactive one... it was yellowish when dark and blueish when bright... ok, not fantastic and it slowly got less reactive... would never buy another.

It is a great idea, but, i wear reactive lenses in my glasses and they don't go dark enough for my liking (not like proper sunglasses) so i'm guessing a visor would be the same. They also go dark outside even if it's say overcast and not sunny, so you look like you're blind. They're also pretty expensive so i hate to think how much a visor would cost to do.