Well today was the first time I have ever been in control of a motorised vehicle. My instructor advised I used an automatic but I really wanted to be taught how to use a manual properly rather than work it out by myself on an Aprilia RS (kill myself..)!

Everyone in my group pulled up in a car which already made me feel like a complete noob as I got the bus lol. I was surprised that only myself and two others out of eight people were going for the manual 125 option and not the automatic 50s.

I started off ok, as an experienced cyclist I was quite well balanced when it came to slow riding but from here on it was nothing like cycling. I found that just as I was becoming confident with a task we would briskly moved on. By the time I was just coming to terms with clutch closed, revs on, slowly open clutch, get speed, let go of throttle, front brake, back brake, clutch, get back in gear we were adding in turns, indicating, checking mirrors etc.. I felt like Homer with the new things I learnt pushing out the old ones.

By the end of the car park practical I had got the hang of it but had random inconsistencies, not pulling the clutch in time at a stop, breaking too sharply, breaking at a slight angle, stepping down with my right foot.

I found that once I started saying things pretty much out loud it became much easier to operate the bike. My instructor said I need to come back for 1 hours riding and then a 2 hour road ride to complete the course.

Any advice for my next session as I really can't afford to pay for more lessons after this!

Cheers

Everyone learns at a different speed but CBT instructers have to move on so if you know someone with a bike who would teach you in your own time the basics off road you could then just concentrate on the road craft ?

did you do any road riding today or was it all round cones etc?

i thought cbt was an all day thing for one fee consisting of off road basic controls then a road ride to demonstrate you can do everything you've been taught safely on the road.... at least thats what happend when i did mine :|

I think ur instructors scamming u out of money, I know people that had to go back the next day for the road riding as they just took longer to learn the stuff, and they didnt have to pay a penny extra

CBT should just be a one of fee.

I think ur instructors scamming u out of money, I know people that had to go back the next day for the road riding as they just took longer to learn the stuff, and they didnt have to pay a penny extra

I had to come back the next day because the DSA examiner was watching the CBT instructor and we ran out of time DOing everything by the book

I had to go back the next day and Do another 2 hour road ride but it was most Definatly FREE

Well I'm phoning up tomorrow to book a session. I guess I can say "I've been reading that a CBT is a one off payment and even if it takes more than one day I shouldn't have to pay extra." I doubt that will stand though, is there a law or something?

Mate you shouldn't have to pay a penny. If they didn't get everything covered, or have a good enough instructor:pupil ratio etc. it's their problem.

Ring up and tell them that you shouldn't pay for the training to be completed. It's a one off payment!

I did my CBT with my OH and neither completed on the first day so we had to go back. We paid almost the same price again!! for the 2nd day.

It is a lot to take in and for your brain to process. I am reckoning that you will crack it on the 2nd day, as you and your brain will have a bit of time to absorb what you've learned today. :)

Have a look here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... DG_4022430

The interesting bit for me is..............

You will move on to the next element when your instructor is satisfied you have learnt the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to a safe basic level.

Trainees must, by law, receive a minimum two hour on-road ride in Element E.

So the way i read that is it can take as long as it takes but you don't move on until the instructor is happy you have the skills to move on.

If you have demonstrated the skills to move on how can you fail.

Personally i would argue the toss get your CBT certificate (without paying extra) and do my training elsewhere

Sorry to hear you've not had a great day :(

The school where I did my CBT was quite clear on this; there's always the chance that you won't successfully complete the course in one day, in which case you need to come back for another 1/2 day's training - and that half day is chargeable.

Personally I think it's fair. The whole point of CBT is to get you up to a reasonable minimum standard to be allowed out on the roads, and if the instructor feels you need a bit more practice before you can control the bike safely then it's their job to make sure you get it.

Go back for your extra half day, relax and enjoy it, then start saving for your proper lessons and test.

same for me when I did my CBT, I couldn't get the hang of using the clutch so I had to go back for a half day. only said £40 for the second session as it was only a mornings training, I assume they still need to cover their costs, insurance, bike hire and the hourly rate for the instructors time!

don't let it get you down, go back and nail it, then you will feel much better and more importantly be safe when you get out on your own! imagine how bad an instructor would feel if he gave you a pass and days later you were injured or worse as a result of inadequate training!!

Eight people seems a lot of people to have on a CBT, how many instructors were there? Also I agree with others, whole point of CBT is pay the overall fee, usually around a hundred pounds, and then they give you the required training to help you get your CBT. In my opinion if it was a trust worthy school, and honest, they would just give you the extra training at no extra cost.

I have recently seen more companies and dealerships doing pre CBTs for 20 quid, basically a half day explaining how bike works, and get to have some experience of riding it around a car park, cones etc. This for one gives them an idea of whether someone would really struggle with a CBT or not. And secondly gives the person on a bike a chance to see if likes biking. Is pretty similar to the "Get On" scheme.

From a personal view, my misses had a go at CBT when I got my bike,and she really didnt like it. But she was told at end of day, if she ever wants to try again, they will do it for free. So i would def point out to them they shouldent really be charging you more.

i came across the same problem i was just getting the hang of it and i was watching the other closer who had a different instructor and they taught me everything much slower than them even if i did get the hang of it, i sorta felt a bit left out and was more concentratng on what they was doing and wondering why they didnt let me do it :roll: (i think it was because i was a female)

I have to pay £50 to sit mine again too, not good!

It all depends from school. When I was booking my CBT some schools I phoned said they were charging for a half a day in case of not reaching proper standard on 1st day and some said its free. I guess its understandable as this 2nd day still cost them instructor time, petrol and bike usage so why would they do it for free? And what if they get a REALLY thick student who will need more than 2 days? I wouldn't want to work 2+ days for free with someone I just wanted to smack in the head in the end lol

My instructor said it was a one off payment.

That I had paid for my training and certificate and it was upto him to make sure I was upto a standard where I could go out on my own.

I'm sure if I'd taken weeks or something stupid then I would have had to pay again but a 100 quid is a lot of money so should be a perfectly substantial amount for 2 days training.

When I had a lesson before my test I only paid 50 quid for a whole day and an hour lesson before my test, and the instructor said he was so confident I'd pass that if I didn't he would give me another lesson for free.

When i did my CBT i had to go back and complete the road ride as we ran out of time but i wasn't charged any extra as they said it was a one off fee.

I would only have to pay if i couldn't get it passed on the next session and neede another - which wasn't necessary thankfully..

Hmm very annoying but as long as I pass I'll be happy.

A friend said I should just do it on a moped so I'm guaranteed a pass and then get lots of practice in a car park when I buy my aprilia. Thoughts? I just want to get a pass so I can buy the bike!

PASSED!!

One hour of Driving round in circles really did help. I was able to work out how much break, clutch and throttle was needed for each move. The road was a little scary at first as we came to a round about straight away and I have never even cycled in one before!

Bad points - my sense isn't good. I was unsure who had right of way at times and what road markings were saying having never used them before on my bicycle. Also sometimes I went into neutral instead of 2nd and that horrible sound!