Thank lord! Passed Mod 2 - No training what-so-ever :D

Hey guys,

First of all, a huge thanks to answering all my questions. Right from buying the bike up to my Mod 2 questions :D. Coming here has really boosted my confidence and helped me progress in leaps and bounds.

Secondly, yes I have no official training outside of my CBT and Bike Safe (This Saturday gone). I honestly believe with enough on-road experience you can pass your test to a higher standard than those without. For anyone following my route, I'd highly advise getting a couple of books (Ride 2010 is good, As is motorcycle roadcraft). Watch the Twist of the Wrist II DVD (and if you can buy the book). There were some shaky moments but overall it was fine without.

Just a note: If you can afford to take holiday and pay the exorbitant amount (more than a car!!!) for a DAS or other official training - do it. It's there for a reason. My route takes a LOT longer as I've been riding for about 2 1/2 years now.

The test!!!

Wow, it went really really badly! I managed to secure a cancellation on Tuesday afternoon (this week) for an 8:20 start on Friday.

London is a horrible place to drive. I took my test in Southall (shit-hole), there's cars in your lane. Cars parked on junctions. Cars bloody everywhere. Oh and let's not forget the junction.

Unfortunately my DSA mindset went out the window when the instructor made me pull out across a T junction. He promptly gave me a bollocking for stopping for oncoming cars when there was a car in my lane. I was honestly under the assumption that if you can't get a car safely through - you shouldn't ride through... ** wrong **.

Anywho, lots of delays and messing about on the roads. Went straight towards the A40 and bolted up there for a while (my poor little CBR having to get up to speed). Eventually pulled off into a major round-about.

He told me to take the fourth exit on the roundabout - my brain target locked on the exit I thought it was and I slowly, and painfully edged forward (remember : rush hour). He stopped me on the round-about and gave me a "Can't you hear me" (aggravated). I decided to continue to the correct exit would be dangerous so I continued on.

He told me to take a right into a road almost immediately as we were now on the wrong [painful] route. I saw the road and slowed down. As I got closer I thought, "Oh f**k that's a one way" (or at least it looked like a parking area rather than a proper road. Rather than turn I decided to cancel and ride off. Once again he gave me a stern bollocking. At this point I was *certain* I'd failed. No doubt in my mind.

My mind said, "Oh f**k it, let's ride normally". He told me too take the next exit and we continued the long way, being reminded that "You've made this very hard on yourself". We did a U turn and pulled back on the main road. I did notice the Bus lane (which we can use) but I chose not to use it as I wasn't sure where it went. He wasn't happy :P

He got in the bus lane and I took the hint. shot down the side of the traffic and returned to the round-about.

At this point we headed home. I got another rollocking for waiting for oncoming traffic (me vs. bus - no thanks). He made me do two park-up's and pull offs. No major issue, no real cars around etc. Just had to avoid a drive and car opposite. Final manoeuvre was a hill start - no problem. Various indications etc as we did it.

Finally parked up.

He didn't ask me the pillion questions immediately so I was certain I'd failed. When we returned to the room he gave me one final rollocking for not listening.

Then he gave me the pillion questions :P... I must admit I was so furred up that I almost forgot his question and gave him a couple of wrong answers -thankfully he was fine when I gave him the correct ones.

He gave me 1-2 minors as he couldn't remember the rest :P

PASSED

So what did I pick up?

In short, even if you are utterly utterly certain you have failed. Give yourself a slap and continue riding.

Don't hesitate too much for oncoming traffic, you really only need 3-4 space.

My hate for London traffic has been freshly renewed. My next car will be a bloody hummer or Rangerover

If you screw up, do it safely!

DON'T RIDE DIFFERENTLY FOR THE DSA

My MOD 1 write up is here: Mod 1

Guest Hodgy

Well done, it just goes to show even if your certain you've messed up and failed, it's still worth trying cos you never really know till it's over :)

Very well Done :D

Sounds alot like My test :shock:

I Did Go the wrong way twice as well ,lessons are Great but I Prefered the DIY method also

Cheers guys.

Yeah I really can't stress enough, keep rolling on till your back in the office.

I honest to god thought that was my time over. I genuinely thought I didn't stand a chance.

So glad it's over now though, need to get shot of the little CBR and get something with a little more grunt.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a couple of weeks old, but well done, and yes Southall is a dump!

I passed there in May and my instructor was amazed that to start the test you are told to drive off the tactile pavement by the examiner!