First lesson on a 500 - anyone want to buy a 125? :)

Oh My God (in a Janice kind of way) - I didn't expect the difference to be so different or feel so good.

Got on a GS500 (I think), nervously had a few practice runs pulling away and changing gear, we then went out for a ride.

I'm still grinning - 5 hours later :) Next lesson Tuesday evening (only because I couldn't do tomorrow) - Mod 1 practice, see how that goes and then book the test.

I'm seriously going to have to sell my 125 and get a big bike as soon as possible - bang goes all my reason for getting a bike (fuel consumption) - the car will do more miles to the gallon.

As a wise man once said - shit happens :)

When you been riding a 125 and get on a 500cc it's so much easier and the extra power is awesome, isn't it!! I did my training on the GS500 and they are great bikes!

All the best for your test mate.

LOL, I met a man in a car park who had a new YBR with L plates and as I'd just got one I went over to talk to him. He said it was a good learner bike but he was taking his DAS on a 500 - and said once he had been on that the YBR was just 'Pffffff!!' (he waved his hand dismissively at it :lol: ). But haven't been on one yet so can't compare - I'm delaying that day until I'm fully confident in all situations on the YBR, because know I'll feel the same and want to go off and buy a big bike! I'm already sitting on them now in showrooms and planning my next buy :D

i agree with what everyone else has said.

i did my cbt and das last month, the jump to the GS500 from the 125 was great! then i passed my test and took a test ride on a '09 model cb600f hornet, and that was simply amazing :D :D :D (and even easier to ride)

all the best with your training

Yes I agree too... I thought a 500cc would be to big for me to learn on but now i feel they are just so much more suitable...... no need to worry about getting up to speed anymore ..... or being buffeted about as lorries overtake.

Good Luck with your training

Absolutely. I too went from a ybr, but onto an ER-5 and as you say it felt like going from a tiny old little 1L city car to a big chunky stable car with a 2.5L engine... going onto a hornet then was a similar step up again though.

No plans to go to 1000 for me yet due to running costs, don't know why I'd want more acceleration than the 600 on roads to be honest anyway.

Is it a massive difference?

I have had my 125 for 4 months now, but to be honest, I was dissapointed with speed and accelaration from the very first week.

I have a cbf125 and am 5`11" and feel as though my upper body acts as a parachute, and even at 50mph the bike seems to get thrown about in the wind.Is it better with the bigger/heavier bike?

Is it a massive difference?

Is it better with the bigger/heavier bike?

Yes. To both.

Acceleration wise, even a "lowly" learner 500 is stonking fast (for me, it was originally scary moving from the 125), compared to a 125. Just look at the performance stats of big bikes, they compare favourably to supercars! (compared to 125s that don't generally do all that well even against small budget cars).

They're also far more stable / planted. Although technique does have a big part in stability in winds etc.

However, running costs of big bikes are increased by a lot (depends much on what you go for though) - you pay for the power, although there is a healthy balance to be obtained - if you can bring yourself not to want that bit more power and sacrifice it :wink: