How much should you spend on each item if you want it to....

How much should you spend on each clothing item? (jacket,helmet,trousers etc)

I was thinking something like £200 Helmet, £100-150 jacket and trousers per item that is, £150 boots, £100 gloves.

What is your budget per item if you have?

Heff

Budget is dictated by personal circumstances. For example we sell a 'starter pack' for £200 which includes jacket, trousers, helmet, gloves and boots. Obviously this is all budget gear, but all meets the required European safety standard and for someone starting off on a small bike on a budget, it's perfectly adequate.

At the top end, the sky is the limit. Top of the range Arai helmet will set you back around £500-£600, made-to-measure race spec leathers around £1,500, etc.

Decide what you can afford to spend and buy the best fitting clothing you can within that budget. Fit is more important than anything else.

£100 seems like a lot for a pair of gloves doesnt it? you can get a nice pair for a fair bit less than that

While I certainly agree with you (my current gloves cost £70 and are by far the best gloves I've used so far, including a more expensive pair) I think choosing the right gloves, even if you have to spend that bit more is very important, bearing in mind if you have a chance to react after coming off a bike, you are very likely too put your hands out, meaning they are going to take the brunt of the impact

£100 seems like a lot for a pair of gloves doesnt it? you can get a nice pair for a fair bit less than that

While I certainly agree with you (my current gloves cost £70 and are by far the best gloves I've used so far, including a more expensive pair) I think choosing the right gloves, even if you have to spend that bit more is very important, bearing in mind if you have a chance to react after coming off a bike, you are very likely too put your hands out, meaning they are going to take the brunt of the impact

i'd say £70 is about the limit i would consider spending on gloves, but they would have to be bloody good for that money!

I'll echo what eveyrone else has said, the Sky is the limit with gear.

Usually 200 is a good price to spend on a helmet (That's when you start getting the RSR2s, RSX etc - aka spots helmets).

Jackets seem to get good around the 100 mark.

Trousers, probably around the 50-100.

Gloves, 30

Boots, 75~

Obviously ebay is a great place to get some bits and peices, people get shot of unused jackets all the time. Very good way to save hundreds!

Depends what you want to do with it and how you ride.

I have just spent over £200 on a pair of trousers, but I commute 40 miles each way in all weathers so need some kit that will keep me warm and dry so I dont mind spending a bit more.

As QB has said, you can get some basic kit for well under those prices, I think I spent about £150 on a lid,£100 on jacket, £100 on trousers, £60 on boots and £40 on gloves for my first set of kit, but then I had that sort of budget.

Unfortunately, in my experience, there is less choice for us ladies in the lower end of the price range!

It may have something to do with fashion I guess :wink: My gf for example still didn't buy herself kevlar jeans even after she had an off 3 weeks ago :roll: She says they won't look good on her but I will get her to buy them :twisted:

My initial budget was very low. Paid £60 for a helmet, £20 for boots from Lidl, £20 for textile trousers from Aldi, £10 for leather jacket from ebay and £10 for cheap gloves. Now I'm buying new bits when I can. Got RST jacket for £100, kevlar jeans, better gloves and nice boots :) So do like others said, buy best you can afford :thumb:

Hmm people say dont skimp out on helmet, whilst i agree, id also say that for gloves and boots.... then trousers then jacket.

When you come off, your feet will get wrecked and so will your hands.... from there if your sliding on yer ass your gunna want good protection there, although your upper body may also receive damage really it seems like the least likely place to get seriously hurt.

My gloves cost me £120, saved me twice with only a small scratch to the knuckle protectors, very comfortable, totally water proof could just do with being a little warmer. Also came top in the RiDE magazines gloves test. Boots cost £200 odd again again saved me twise, worn and sanded down but still totally useable and will still provide good protection. My Jacket had received a bit of damage, but not as much as my trousers and possibly my boots, in my second accident it wasn't touched at all (or a very small amount).

So id do it in this budget order: Helmet>gloves/boots/trousers>jacket.

My opinion only but from what i have seen and/or experienced this seems the most logical.

Personally I think more than £50-60 on gloves is a lot of money. I have two pairs of buffalo costing £20 each though in a sale, don't know what original was.

Place where I spend quite a lot is helmet and boots since I tend to walk around a lot once I get to my destination and for helmet obvious reasons, though I've discovered with my current lid that just because it's expensive it doesn't always mean better, my old £40 one was loads quieter, just no pinlock or drop down sun visor.

To echo what Akey said, it depends on what you are going to do..

I spent years using cheap gear...got wet, got cold etc etc ..

then I bought more expensive, better quality gear.. world of difference.

You get what you pay for!!!

It does pay to find what you are looking for (in terms of fit etc, and then search for the cheapest online)

Lots of replies there haha I think I'm going to bump it to 200 max for each item, purely because I'm getting it all on finance with my bike so I can spend whatever I can afford a month.

Can anyone good quality makes?

Heff

Lots of replies there haha I think I'm going to bump it to 200 max for each item, purely because I'm getting it all on finance with my bike so I can spend whatever I can afford a month.

Can anyone good quality makes?

Heff

Hein gericke make some good gear, obviously all the big brands e.g. arlen ness, apline stars, rst make some good kit, dainese etc

for helmets, shoei, arai, agv, hjc etc.

You'll find anything in a major bike shop will probably be of good/high quality, if in doubt ask on here.

also read up on this: http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... 32&t=16313

gives you an idea what to look for etc.

As said earlier, buy the best you can afford.

I've spent over £2k in the past couple of months on new kit for the winter, £500 of which was just for my helmet and £700 on a textile suit. My new gloves (which are too warm to use at the minute) were £130.

I don't think it's being extravagant/silly/OTT, it was the kit I wanted and I had the money to spare.