What are your touring plans for 2011

nomad

Okay the weather is closing in Autum is on us and the winter will soon be here and for some (not all) the bikes will be tucked up safe until next year when the weather springs into warm life...

So what do you do for the winter months to get your fix of biking, Plan your next tour of Europe, Farkle with your bike putting on some bling or souping it up with a power mod maybe an exhaust or Power commander, or just a project which gets you out and into the garage...

I wouldn't mind buying a spare bike another FJR1300 but mainly For me in 2011 I would like to plan a tour to Morrocco spend a couple of weeks doing it... maybe have the Mrs come along on her bike or as pillion and my eldest Son who should have his license by as early as the 20th October 2010 (just the MOD2 to do)

Who's planning that trip the next tour? where are you going?

End June/ Early July - Going to France to watch prologue and first couple of stages of Le Tour, then head down to spanish border, Andorra, across pyrenees back to santander for 24hr ferry back.

Similar sort of time is the RBLR 1000 (1000miles, 24 hours) not really a "tour" as such lol

Might be doing Nurburgring in August, but not yet sure if that will be in car or on bike

I didn't think they were doing a Prologue 2011 in the Vendee ? rumour mill http://paris.thover.com/article/341/en/ ... ages-.html

Looks like they will also do Puy Mary in the Cantal for 2011 in July some time, Have enjoyed this region of France so will make a note to watch for info and get up there for the race if possible... It is only an hour and a half from us.

This is Puy Mary Taken in August

http://www.whereistonynow.co.uk/2k10/puymary001.jpg

and again in June

http://www.whereistonynow.co.uk/2k10/me028.jpg

a group of us (3 couples + 2 singles) are off on a little bimble in September 2011 (it's their first time abroad on bikes)

starting off from Hull to Rotterdam and heading for Badden Badden -Black Forest and the B500

then it's off to Italy to take in the Stelvio pass, Switzerland next (Innertkirchen) for a couple of days playing on the 3 mountain passes (Grimsel, Furka & Susta) then it's into France via The Grande st Bernard pass and a week in a Gite just outside of Bourg saint Maurice and plenty of local mountain roads.

i've picked September because the roads are empty, cheap hotels and the weathers not too bad.

there would have been another couple coming with us but they had such a good time at Nomads place this year they are going there again in 2011 8-)

:bike2:

Like dex, RBLR 1000 and I'm riding it, the admin is more tiring :shock: I have done both, I do not lie.

Then riding back up through Scotland ending in Edinburgh for the Armed Forces Day Parade.

Or one of several others, but as I haven't decided what I'm doing this weekend yet it may be a while before I make up my mind.

I`m going to try and head North to Inverness at least. The roads along the lochs look great and the scenery must be beyond belief. I vaguely remember it from my days of going to Edinborough with my dad.

Oh the freedom of the roads. :love:

Seriously considering either a trip around middle/south europe or even go across to canada and do a tour out of vancouver way to see the rockies. I presume the roads might be quite nice. Then again, I could save up my money for a touring bike and head to europe every year without the need to rent!

I'd love to go back to the IOM but need to watch the £'s as we are doing some work to the house. Might have to make do with a couple of long weekend's away up the west coast of scotland.....its a hard job living in gods own country! 8-)

Just decided - since my Euro trip is starting with the start of Le Tour - then while I'm in the Pyrenees I'd better do the Tourmalet!

I suspect I will find it a little easier than the peloton do...

I have a trip to Ireland booked for May - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 9e&t=h&z=7

Scotland for a week in July - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 07&t=h&z=7

and the best one, starting in Mid August...... 4 weeks round Europe!!!!!! - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 32&t=h&z=5

The routes may change a little as it's still in planning stage

Hopefully a repeat of this years shenanigans!

June/July Boys trip to Southern France via Route Napoleon then back via Val D'Isere/Bourg St Maurice.

August - Germany/Austria/Italy with my lad

Sept - Scotland and a Tour of Europe with another set of mates.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/Hoody_photo/BigTour463.jpg

Bring It On!

• 2 months later...

Septemer 2011 i should be doing a leisurely paced trip to the Millau bridge avoiding toll roads.

I'll be landing in Calais or Boulougne and i want to avoid Paris.

Loads of great biking roads south of the Limoges area but can anyone suggest a good route for the northern bit :?:

Can't wait to get out again when this ice thaws out and especially looking forward to September.

Wishing you all a happy new year and safe riding for 2011.

• 2 weeks later...
Septemer 2011 i should be doing a leisurely paced trip to the Millau bridge avoiding toll roads.

I'll be landing in Calais or Boulougne and i want to avoid Paris.

Loads of great biking roads south of the Limoges area but can anyone suggest a good route for the northern bit :?:

Can't wait to get out again when this ice thaws out and especially looking forward to September.

Wishing you all a happy new year and safe riding for 2011.

If you want to avoid Paris, head for Rouen, then Evreux Chatre Orleans then pick up The D940 south nice.

I'm currently in the planing stages for a trip to Alicante (staying off the A roads as much as pos) at the end of April. May plan is to go Calais via Tours Toulouse Perpignan Barcelona Alicante stopping every 5 mins to fill the tank on my xv :x . Not planed the route back yet. Loads of good advice out there on the internet for travilling abroad but if anyone has got any good tips or advice feel free to give it :idea:

Lee if you are riding down consider leaving from Portsmouth to Le-Havre LD-Lines are probably the cheapest currently for the crossing and do a night crossing, gets you away from the industrial Calais, and if you are winging down past Limoges look us up http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... f=3&t=9514

Edited by nomad

Thanks for the route advice Nomad, i appreciate it.

On my way i'll look up * link removed as it contravenes TMBF advertising policy* :wink:

Lee, my advice is don't worry about the amount of petrol stops,

you'll need regular breaks and that's when you meet people :3some: Just give yourself enough time to enjoy the ride.

I wonder if it's true about the attended petrol pumps in France that they don't stop until it's pouring all over the place because you're paying :?:

Lee if you are riding down consider leaving from Portsmouth to Le-Havre LD-Lines are probably the cheapest currently for the crossing and do a night crossing, gets you away from the industrial Calais, and if you are winging down past Limoges look up * link removed as it contravenes TMBF advertising policy*

i'll look into that nomad thanks 8-) you can send me that link via email if u wish nomad?

Edited by Anonymous

Thanks for the route advice Nomad, i appreciate it.

On my way i'll look up * link removed as it contravenes TMBF advertising policy* :wink:

Lee, my advice is don't worry about the amount of petrol stops,

you'll need regular breaks and that's when you meet people :3some: Just give yourself enough time to enjoy the ride.

I wonder if it's true about the attended petrol pumps in France that they don't stop until it's pouring all over the place because you're paying :?:

Being a smoker i'll be stopping often anyway :)