Any ideas what this is ?

Guest Andrea

1985 GSXR 750

Img_1613.jpg.2376a29687bec9fb53be49cde4ebca66.jpg

Unknown...

This is almost hard wired into the main loom, there are 2 wires leading into it and are colour coded red. The red mark underneath the transparent, flexible silicon like plastic looks like a button but if that is the case then it is depressed and wont pop out despite pressing.

I have checked the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual but it could only 1 of 2 things.... Isolator switch or an NEAS Diode. If it was an isolator switch then the cables would not be heavy enough, propbably on capable of handling a couple of amps at the most. But this embedded deep within the frame on the battery cage so the location would suggest that it cannot be an isolating switch.

The bike does have NEAS but the color coding is wrong. I have yet to meter this as I am still stripping the bike down, but at present I am flumoxed!

An Isolator Switch and NEAS Diode are the only 2 devices that I can see which only have 2 wires. There is no earth connection via the case.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help

is it not the starter solinoid?

No, sorry. A solenoid essentially has 4 connections, 2 for the heavy duty switched side and 2 much lighter coil connections which would come from the starter switch or the signal side. My mystery piece has just the 2 connections.