Frozen lock

sparkeh9

This morning I went to get my bike out, took off my disc lock, placed the key in the barrel and attempted to turn it.

Not a sausage, eventually I bent my key slightly and then it wouldn't come out! I was frustrated at this point (bearing in mind I should have set off for work 15 minutes ago) Finally found some WD40 and gave it a squirt, I had to bend the key back to its original position before the key would come out.

After it came out I put the key back in and it turned.....Strangely, this annoyed me lol, Thank god Ive got a few spares! >_<

Also my battery sounds like it's lost a lot of juice, struggled to start this morning... Time to put it on charge I think, shame theres no power in my garage, as its detached (and consequently, as cold as outside)

I use the car this weather, It's got central locking :D

Couldn't get the door open :( A good dose of antifreeze job done, engine running, waiting for all the ice to clear of the screen :|

Next time your lock freeze's up a kettle of warm water will do the job, but dry it out & give it a squirt of WD40 :D

when you get a spare few mins squirt WD40 down to displace any water then take a tub of grease and push some in to the barrel use a spare key to work it in to the lock

it will stop it freezing as bad but not completely :wink:

I've heard stories about people using WD40 and it refreezing thier lock due to the water content.

Even people peeing on thier locks to thaw them out enough to get the key back out.

One trick I always used was to get a lighter and heat the key in the flame for a few seconds then stick it in nice and hot. Always worked for me.

Or a hair drier is always a good idea.

if it happens when ya out and about drink water and take a whizz on the frozen lock :lol: worked for me once :cheers:

Thanks for the Advice ! I followed this and several shoppers outside wh smiths called the police on me :cry: