Helmet's

hey

with bike helmets is it the case of, you get what yoy pay for? .. and how much should a good/safe helmet cost.some of them are just unreal prices like shoei! and then you get the takachi's and there priced door cheap hmmmm :roll: maybe just paying for the name printed on them i duno?

thanks a bunch

scotty

As already said, check the sharp ratings, as some of the el cheapo lids have the same or better ratings that some of the stupidly high priced lids.

For the extra money you pay for soe lids youll get better sound proofing and possibly a comfier fit.

ya cant go wrong with a lid thats got a sharp rating of 4 stars or more though, so you make your own mind up :)

It seems to me that you get what you pay for (extra cost = better ventilation/removable linings/chin-strap fasteners/pinlock/breath guards/general quality feel etc etc) BUT those extras are very expensive. You'll probably notice the difference between a £100 and a £400 helmet, but it's less certain whether you'll think that the difference is worth £300.

Like Techno said you can just go for an older model. I got a Shoei xr1000 for about £250 (first one i tried on and it fitted PERFECTLY). When they were the current model they were over £400 or something stupid. THis year at NEC show they were down to about £190 i think.

But i've seen loads of cheaper ones which look perfectly fine assuming they fit properly, and they all have to meet the safety standards.

If I was a bit tight for cash and buying gear then i'd go for a cheaper, but good fitting, helmet and then spend the difference on proper boots, etc (places people skimp on or delay), where the cash would go towards proper protection rather than reducing wind noise and the like.

thanks for posting guys. so maybe this weekend al go out hunting for the perfect lid :mrgreen: i have no limit to what i can spend on a lid i just thought why pay 200-400 pound more for a lid thats going to do the same as a 60-150. so im feeling that the comfort is Key to everybody so i will not buy until i find a suitable fit for my Nogging, plus all the lids ive ever worn have been bought to fit some one else off when i was younger on quads/bikes/carts. and im looking for a snug fit? not tight not lose yeah? basicly common sence this could take soom time as im picky for looks aswell :wink:

cheers lads

scotty

thanks for posting guys. so maybe this weekend al go out hunting for the perfect lid :mrgreen: i have no limit to what i can spend on a lid i just thought why pay 200-400 pound more for a lid thats going to do the same as a 60-150. so im feeling that the comfort is Key to everybody so i will not buy until i find a suitable fit for my Nogging, plus all the lids ive ever worn have been bought to fit some one else off when i was younger on quads/bikes/carts. and im looking for a snug fit? not tight not lose yeah? basicly common sence this could take soom time as im picky for looks aswell :wink:

cheers lads

scotty

no limit.... then it's got to be this helmet :mrgreen:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/63110

I was tempted to buy online, but always try it on first at a shop... Then see if you can get it cheaper on t'interweb. Size and fit seemed to vary so much when I was helmet shopping so make sure it's right first if you get it online.

When I went to buy a helmet the shop assistant made me try on all the different makes of helmets they had to see which one fitted the best some were £50 some £700. I ended up buying a shoei xr-1000 for around £400 because it was the best fitting, and I would highly recommend it.

At the end of the day wether your helmet cost £30 or £800 when you fly head first into a wall, your f*cked.

Got this one http://www.marushin-helmets.co.uk/marushin_tiger.htm for my wife, with totally reflecting illegal lid :) It fits on my head too, even better than my Caberg V2 407 so I'm very envious :(

Whats a 'totally reflecting illegal lid'? :shock: :D :D :D

IT deflects Speed guns and dazzles cameras (Not legal in the UK)

• 1 month later...
Got this one http://www.marushin-helmets.co.uk/marushin_tiger.htm for my wife, with totally reflecting illegal lid :) It fits on my head too, even better than my Caberg V2 407 so I'm very envious :(

Whats a 'totally reflecting illegal lid'? :shock: :D :D :D

Nah, all i meant is that the lid is very reflective - cannot see face behind it...