Aegis back protector - falls apart!

Now i've sung the praises of this back protector from day 1, and have been very happy with it... up until now.

This morning, as i was getting my kit on ready for the commute in to work, something didn't feel right once i'd got my aegis back protector on. So i get my jacket off, and then take the aegis off. As soon as i do this, a bit of plastic falls off the bottom - the part above the spine protector!!! :shock:

after a quick look i can see that the screw has come out at the bottom, and due to this the things starts to fall apart! luckily i found another screw to replace it, so i screw it in nice and tight, job done... or so i thought.

turns out, the way this back protector works is by allowing the spine protector to move up and down a bit, so where it is screwed in at the top and bottom, the screws aren't done up tightly so as to allow the thing to move. Great idea in theory, until the bloody screw works its way loose and the thing starts to fall apart!

i'm really not impressed at all, and am tempted to write a complaint to Knoxx.

Just thought i'd let anyone know who was thinking of buying a back protector lately.

cheers

Hi, Take the screw back out and put a bit of thread lock or (super glue if you cant get any) on the treads of the screw, then screw it back in but not fully tightend, the thread lock will hold the screw in place and stop it from coming undone again. Has a curing time so read the label best to leave for 24hrs if you can. :)

Hi, Take the screw back out and put a bit of thread lock or (super glue if you cant get any) on the treads of the screw, then screw it back in but not fully tightend, the thread lock will hold the screw in place and stop it from coming undone again. Has a curing time so read the label best to leave for 24hrs if you can. :)

good idea, cheers!

Yes it's a good idea, but the wole point is that you haven't had the back protector for very long and it's already falling apart!!

Now I kow I'm a grumpy old woman but I'd be taking it straight back to where it was bought from! This is supposed to be an important piece of safety kit but obviously isn't up to standard!! :shock:

Yes it's a good idea, but the wole point is that you haven't had the back protector for very long and it's already falling apart!!

Now I kow I'm a grumpy old woman but I'd be taking it straight back to where it was bought from! This is supposed to be an important piece of safety kit but obviously isn't up to standard!! :shock:

+1.

The amount these items are (over)priced at, i expect no less than perfection.

+1.

Yeah, that is still kind of what i'm thinking, so may not do the thread lock thing just yet, as i'm considering writing a letter (or email) of complaint to Knoxx to see what kind of response i get.

To me, it just seems like a bad design now and i'm probably going to replace it with a forcefield back protector. Funny how something like this can turn you away from a company you had a lot of respect for.

I'm sure my letter of complaint won't get me anywhere, but it's worth a go, even if it is just to raise some awareness to Knoxx about the potential issue on this particular model back protector.

+1.

Yeah, that is still kind of what i'm thinking, so may not do the thread lock thing just yet, as i'm considering writing a letter (or email) of complaint to Knoxx to see what kind of response i get.

To me, it just seems like a bad design now and i'm probably going to replace it with a forcefield back protector. Funny how something like this can turn you away from a company you had a lot of respect for.

I'm sure my letter of complaint won't get me anywhere, but it's worth a go, even if it is just to raise some awareness to Knoxx about the potential issue on this particular model back protector.

Personally i'd take it back to the retailer under the sale of goods act (your contract for the goods is with the retailer, not the manufacturer).

Goods must last for a reasonable length of time, and 3 months isn't reasonable for such a product.

Under 6 months, the retailer has to prove that the fault wasn't inherent. After 6 months, you have to prove that it was.

So get in before 6 months, and legally speaking they don't have a leg to stand on, not that it should ever get that far.

Personally i'd take it back to the retailer under the sale of goods act (your contract for the goods is with the retailer, not the manufacturer).

Goods must last for a reasonable length of time, and 3 months isn't reasonable for such a product.

Under 6 months, the retailer has to prove that the fault wasn't inherent. After 6 months, you have to prove that it was.

So get in before 6 months, and legally speaking they don't have a leg to stand on, not that it should ever get that far.

I would still prefer to email Knoxx direct to see what kind of a response i get. I will also email the company i ordered the back protector from (Internet based company), to see what they have to say.

I doubt i will get very far with the emails, and if anything i might get offered a replacement back protector, trouble is i wouldn't want a replacement, i'd prefer my money back so i can buy a different brand of back protector (probably forcefield - wish i'd gone with them in the first place now).

I know (as it has already been said) that i could quite easily fix the problem myself and just get on with it, but it annoys me that a product that is quite expensive should just start to fall apart after 3 months of use! Especially something so important as a back protector!!! I thought Knoxx were suppose to be one of the leaders in their field today... apparently not (not in my opinion any more).

Agreed!

I would still prefer to email Knoxx direct to see what kind of a response i get. I will also email the company i ordered the back protector from (Internet based company), to see what they have to say.

I doubt i will get very far with the emails, and if anything i might get offered a replacement back protector, trouble is i wouldn't want a replacement, i'd prefer my money back so i can buy a different brand of back protector (probably forcefield - wish i'd gone with them in the first place now).

I know (as it has already been said) that i could quite easily fix the problem myself and just get on with it, but it annoys me that a product that is quite expensive should just start to fall apart after 3 months of use! Especially something so important as a back protector!!! I thought Knoxx were suppose to be one of the leaders in their field today... apparently not (not in my opinion any more).

I'd expect a refund, and be looking up the sale of goods act so i knew how i was (near as) legally entitled to one :wink:

I'd do both - take it back to where you bought it AND get in touch with the manufacturer. I know it's easier to email but I would suggest you write a letter instead/as well as - less chance of it getting 'lost'!

Manufacturers don't like bad publicity, and a suggestion to them that you might be considering putting the word out on their poor quality product may have an effect!

Oh and possibly take some photographs before you return it to the shop - evidence you understand!

Got a response from the company i bought the back protector from. They have offered me a full refund! :lol:

No response direct from Knoxx yet, but i'm hoping to hear what they have to say.

Will be buying a forcefield back protector now.

edit: i did take pictures, and included them in my email

Just in case anyone was interested, here is the email i received from Knoxx in reply to the complaint i sent them. :?

Dear ....,

Thank you for your email

I'm sorry about the problems you have been experiencing with the Aegis back protector

You will have to go back to the store where you purchased the item from as your contract of sale is with the shop

If you need any more information please contact us

luckily the shop i bought it from offered very good customer service.

perhaps you should email them back along the lines of "i have gone back to the shop, though it isnt their fault your equipment is dodgy, and they have offered a full refund which i shall spend with them on a different product!!"

then they'll know that, by having a fair standard of customer service, the shop and their competitors win!! honestly, for all the email they sent you is correct in law, how pathetic not to say sorry to you that you've found their product lacking...thus, successfully ensuring you (and prob any readers of this thread) wont use them again!

t xx

perhaps you should email them back along the lines of "i have gone back to the shop, though it isnt their fault your equipment is dodgy, and they have offered a full refund which i shall spend with them on a different product!!"

then they'll know that, by having a fair standard of customer service, the shop and their competitors win!! honestly, for all the email they sent you is correct in law, how pathetic not to say sorry to you that you've found their product lacking...thus, successfully ensuring you (and prob any readers of this thread) wont use them again!

t xx

Agreed! especially seeming as though i spent the time to write a rather lengthy complaint letter (which was purely factual, i didn't get angry).

I think i might write a letter to Knoxx, as their reply is a complete cop out. I know a lot of people will think i'm going on a bit here, but we pay so much for our bike gear you'd expect it to perform for many years to come. It's suppose to protect you in the event of a crash, how is it going to do that if it falls apart after 3 months of use?

Don't think you're on too much at all!!

We seem to accept things like this all too readily - just buy a new one etc. But manufacturers need to be told when their products are substandard, otherwise they won't see the need to improve the quality of their goods.

It's very fortunate you noticed the fault before, God forbid, the back protector was called into use in a accident!