Weight Loss

jabcrosshook

lucky I don't like McDonalds!! :lol:

But I do have a penchant for AeroBubbles!! :oops:

i dont either but i was about to pass out and it was the only place with food. i will pass out next time though lol

Age is definatly an issue Sue, I lost a stone and a half and without a major lifestyle change thats as far as its gonna go.

Some of us with families and full time jobs etc just dont have the time and sometimes the cash to change to that extent, were so busy that when we get some free time we dont want to get out exercising we want to chill and relax.

But it doesnt really matter so much if we are eating pretty well and just keeping active.

I'd also like to add that it doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself, I still go out from time to time and let it all hang out. The other week and I had more than my fair share of beer and huge plate of cheese and chilli nacho's, it's about finding that healthy balance, for your mind and body. :)

i actually found unhealthy food the thing that made me enjoy workouts at the start, as before i would eat unhealthy food and it was just nothing but empty calories, but i started eating healthy, and training, then rewarded myself by eating something that would be classed as "fatty", which after a week or two of not eating it, it tasted better, but i would only allow myself it, if i trained hard enough, so i ended up pushing myself more and more.

was a great way to start i found, but i think thats a personal thing, i still eat cake etc now, but i just don't eat it all the time like before :P

What a healthy, well-balanced thread this is! I've been on a bit of a diet recently, and have just recently started interval training. I was actually really looking forward to going out to exercise this evening although I hadn't left enough time after eating so got a stitch :(

I've always been a bit chubby, I can kind of carry it off because I'm tall and I think people would be surprised if I said how much I weigh. Still, it's not good for me so it's coming off.

And well done Sue and rennie for the lack of fags! Can't be easy so you really should be proud of yourselves!

Interval training Sue, is a cardio activity, where you do something at a heightened pace for an amount of time, then at a gentler/lower pace for a period of time, you do this in cycles. For example, you could run for 2 minutes, then jog for 1, then repeat for 10 repetitions. It's very effective for fat loss, building stamina and improving you're cardio recovery times. :)

The thing is with interval training as well is that it is good for getting rid of fat. The rate your heart needs to beat at in order for your body to be burning fat is not as high as you might think. It's higher than walking at a normal pace though, unfortunately. And definitely higher than sitting on the sofa. Double unlucky for me...

Anything is better than nothing!, and you say about heart rate etc, but interval will lose fat faster, as your body has to change pace a lot, you burn calories as your body tries to cool/ warm itself, you will go further doing interval than you would just one pace, cause you jog for so long then walk, the walk gives you time to get your breath back before staring again, so you will lose more

Susie, I've been using a thing called podrunner from iTunes. Week one is a half hour programme consisting of a 5 minute warm up, 3 minute cool down and alternating 60 seconds of running/jogging with 90 seconds of walking for the remaining 22 minutes. The music's quite irritating, but if you google Couch to 5k then you'll find myriad similar programmes.

I can run for a whole minute now!!! I know that's rubbish, but it's good for me. The last running I did was away from the 3 mile cross country at school.

Funny how easy it is to put on, & how hard it is to get off :( :( :(

Last summer I got from 13,4 down to 12,2 :D

Then came dark nights & christmas& back up to 13,4 :(

now 3,1/2 months & back to 12,2,, (wonder how long that will last) :|

till next christmas I suppose :( It's all father christmas,s fault

Thanks Jo - sounds very similar to how I've done it in the past. Start off walk 20/run 20 (paces) then gradually build up the run part until I'm running the whole distance. Well, I say 'running'.....I mean more of a gentle plod! :oops:

Hmmm I'm kind of getting in the mood for this :shock:

Cheers dazza!

Actually last night I couldn't wait to get off my lazy arse and get outside for my jog/plod! I was just thinking I should go tonight, but I've arranged to go swimming tonight with a friend. Love that too!

Back on the straight and narrow this week. I was a bit naughty over the weekend - ate too much, drank too much...ah well :D

I was given interval training like that at my gym. I'm asthmatic so I just can't run that far before my breathing stops, my body can go further than my breathing, but I was given the same "run for a minute, walk for a minute" routine to let my breath catch up. It's better but I still hate running ;)

I admit I'm crap over winters though. I play baseball which is a summer sport (first game of the season yesterday :D), I quite enjoy cycling but work's too far to cycle so it's purely recreational and when it's dark before I even leave work in winter the recreation part of it sort of fails.

I'm asthmatic too, admittedly not a chronc asthmatic. I found gradually building up my running actually helped my asthma if I used proper breathing techniques, and I found that my lung capacity improved.

No, mine's not too chronic either. My ex would go to the gym 4 times a week and dragged me down at least twice and my breathing was much better than it is now. Too much hibernating and eating curry over winters recently :)

I've given up my online gaming this year so I'll be out and about more over summer, see if I can get rid of the cushion stuffed up my shirt ;)

I'm asthmatic too. I find that swimming helps a lot with it and I found recently (having gone out without my inhaler) that I got wheezy after a short run, but actually the wheeziness went away quite quickly after I started walking again. So in that respect the interval training really is helping.

In fact, I took my inhaler with me last night and I didn't actually need to use it. Shocker!

Oooh, I like a bit of fish, trout and sea bass. I like a touch of smoked salmon too, and I like salmon baked in the oven. I've got a recipe for salmon and asparagus which I'll be trying out this week!

I love any fruit and veg really, apart from raw onions and tomatoes. Put those in a pan and cook something up with them though and I'm happy. Frozen raspberries with low fat yoghurt or creme fraiche is a nice pudding if you're trying to be low fat. And add some meringue for extra crunch. I can live without red meat but I enjoy chicken, and vegetarian food is fine by me.

Ooh, it's the tmbf recipe exchange!