Mental block against right-hand bends ... *SOLVED* :o)

XmisterIS

As my riding gets more proficient, I notice that I can take left-hand bends very nicely, and I can get a good position near the white line that lets me take the bend with good speed and visibility.

Right-hand bends, however, seem to pose a problem! I seem to shy away from the kerb and end up going round a lot slower than I could if I had good position. I've even tried consciously getting the bike into position before I enter the bend, but I seem to rapidly move away from the kerb and into a poor position and then slowing down! I think it's just an irrational fear of hitting the kerb - even though I know I'm not going to.

Anyone else had that problem?

Any suggestions?

Edited by XmisterIS

I think I kind of have that problem. My tyre chicken strips have begun to wear off on the left side of the rear tyre but the right side is untouched! I'm hoping that the i2i courses I've booked will help improve my confidence.

Push down on your left peg as you're taking the bend, you should always get your bike in position before reaching the bend in any case. Once all your weight is on the left peg the rest of your body will be relaxed enough for you to counter steer. Also make sure you're looking into the bend and not the kerb you're in fear of hitting

Practice , practice, practice, ride, ride, ride.

In all seriousness I always have had a preference for left hand bends. However the strips on any of my tyres always disappear on the right side much quicker, probably because I think more about right hand bends, even after 32 years of road riding. :|

I found the same and think it is down to being right handed. I find I am in more control going left as my right hand is pushing the handlebars and is leading the left hand. On a right hand bends my weaker left hand is doing the leading. Now I know that I find it easier as I make my right hand do more work on right hand bends.

And don't forget to watch for Gravel that gethers at the side of the road on a bend.

Like people have said.

Pick your line, sort out the bikes speed, look where you want to go, use the limiting point, keep the power on and carry out the turn in one stable move.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Practice, practice, practice ... it's always good fun! I love the satisfaction of getting a bend *just* right ... I know I'll crack those right-handers!

I hadn't considered the whole left-handed/right-handed thing, it does make sense; I'll try the compensation thing, and consciously working on left-hand control. I know there's a "metal block" component though, because I can take big (empty!) roundabouts at a fair lick of speed quite comfortably.

I used to have a real issue with slow right handers e.g U turn practises but seem to have managed that now. The problem seems to have morphed into left hand problems now with the figure 8's - can't seem to get the swap from RH turn to LH turn right!! :evil:

I've figured it out! This evening, on the way home through the twisties, I decided to experiment with different techniques ... and I have it cracked! 8-)

Strangely, it's a completely different technique to the one that gets me round left-handers.

With left handers, I let my arms do all the work of steering.

With right handers, I've discovered that if I grip the tank with my knees, push down hard on the right-hand peg and let the front wheel turn where it wants to (to the right), I suddenly find myself getting the correct line through the turn!

So - left handers I steer with my arms, right handers I steer more with my legs and bodyweight.

Why it works, I don't know, but it just does ...

I was well satisfied with the result.

With right handers suddenly your throttle is a lot closer to you and your clutch is a lot further away so you feel you can't get the same fine control on either of them that you can going left.

I find it harder with left turns for some reason. If you'd asked me a couple of months back I'd have said I'm scared of right handers 'coz I'm more nervous about leaning that way because that was the side I fell off. Doing the figure 8 stuff now I can get the right handers no problem at all, I keep putting a foot down on the lefts though :scratch:

I've figured it out! This evening, on the way home through the twisties, I decided to experiment with different techniques ... and I have it cracked! 8-)

Strangely, it's a completely different technique to the one that gets me round left-handers.

With left handers, I let my arms do all the work of steering.

With right handers, I've discovered that if I grip the tank with my knees, push down hard on the right-hand peg and let the front wheel turn where it wants to (to the right), I suddenly find myself getting the correct line through the turn!

So - left handers I steer with my arms, right handers I steer more with my legs and bodyweight.

Why it works, I don't know, but it just does ...

I was well satisfied with the result.

The twist of the wrist 2 DVD pretty much shows that body weight and peg steering are myths. It's more likely that as your uncomfortable with rights your subcontiously stopping the bars moving where they want to with your arms. By locking on to the tank your loosening your grip on the bars and letting the bars do their stuff.

I found the same and think it is down to being right handed. I find I am in more control going left as my right hand is pushing the handlebars and is leading the left hand. On a right hand bends my weaker left hand is doing the leading. Now I know that I find it easier as I make my right hand do more work on right hand bends.

If push with your right hand you will go right, not left

I think I kind of have that problem. My tyre chicken strips have begun to wear off on the left side of the rear tyre but the right side is untouched! I'm hoping that the i2i courses I've booked will help improve my confidence.

A mate and I have done the i2i courses. Well worth the money. Learnt loads and Tom the instructor is great. By the end of the second day when you start to put all you have learnt together you feel way more comfortable on the bike.

We have the i2i track day coming up in a couple of weeks too.

Sit on your bike with the front wheel straight forward, then push with your right hand and the wheel will turn to the left.

Sit on your bike with the front wheel straight forward, then push with your right hand and the wheel will turn to the left.

:) Very true.

But ride along and do it and the bike will tip and then turn right. Counter steering lesson number 1.

Sounds weird, but its true. Check out the numerous you tube vids on counter steering. Or for the best explanation, get hold of a copy of twist of the wrist 2.

Glad my advice kinda worked, think its all about the fact that youre going to tense up on the bike as youre nervous so put all the tension in your legs so your arms are free to steer, at the end of the day the only way to go around the bend is to turn the handle bars, you can lean all you like but if the bars dont move youre going no where!

I tried the pushing of the right peg with legs hugging the tank too and it worked for me :D yay!!! thank you Riffmaster11 :love:

Why is it when I push the pegs, absolutly nothing happens!!! :lol:

I tried the pushing of the right peg with legs hugging the tank too and it worked for me :D yay!!! thank you Riffmaster11 :love:

Why is it when I push the pegs, absolutly nothing happens!!! :lol:

If you only push on the pegs nothing will happen, you need to counter steer too. For a right hand bend push down hard on your left leg. You will notice that your arms are a lot more relaxed and theres no pressure on the handle bars, then you can gently push forward against the rightr side of the bars and the bike will lean slightly and turn right. For left handers just do the opposite