Rusted brake discs

Horseynat30101

its not my bike so not possible, i ask because im thinking about buying a bike and both front discs are rusted although there are some spaces on it where it is brake disc and not rust. been standing for a while i think lol!

Depends if they are corroded or just have a surface rust on them.

Wire wool and wd40 will clear most of the surface rust and then have another look at them.

Also lay them on a flat surface to check if they haven't warped.

Its always worth trying to salvage them if you can (They are not cheap)

But Remember SAFETY FIRST

Wire wool and wd40 will clear most of the surface rust and then have another look at them.

yeh, i looked for replacements and theyre like £80 each!!! :shock: so i would like to salvage them :)

wouldnt wirewool cause damage to the discs? as this is what i was worrying about. also if i squirted WD40 on them how would i clean it off? would normal brake cleaner suffice? :D

cheers

yeh, i looked for replacements and theyre like £80 each!!! :shock: so i would like to salvage them :)

wouldnt wirewool cause damage to the discs? as this is what i was worrying about. also if i squirted WD40 on them how would i clean it off? would normal brake cleaner suffice? :D

cheers

I doubt it, using your brakes would ware down any scratches you might make tbh. Brake cleaner should work against I think

Get a flapdisc for anglegrinder and gently and i mean gently brush over it, the flap disc is just sandpaper, 10 min job aslong as your not hamfisted all your gona remove is the rust

Get a flapdisc for anglegrinder and gently and i mean gently brush over it, the flap disc is just sandpaper, 10 min job aslong as your not hamfisted all your gona remove is the rust

Rather yet then me!

I wouldn't go near them with a flap disc one false move and you could end up having to fork out for new disks

You need to know how bad the rust is just surface rust and you will find it will come off just by moving the bike and using the brakes any worse and I would look at replacing as they will be all pitted

Ask the seller for a pic

Ive seen a pic as there is one in the ad, to me it looks like surface rust, as there are patches on the disc where you can see the shiny disc lol :D

anyway made him an offer and we'll go from there :D thanks for all your advice :)

Please don't put oil on your brake friction surfaces.

Cast iron discs rust up a treat. A light sanding by hand with a fine wet and dry will shift it.

Check the brakes are working and releasing and the discs aren't warped. Spinning the wheel and watching will suffice as a prelim. Then a quick squirt round the block may be all that's needed.

If the caliper(s) and or pistons have seized and or the discs are warped you'll need to replace the discs and remove and refurbish or replace the calipers 8-)

I ended up with a nice coat of rust on my break disks over the winter when we had all that snow and it was stood for a while.

A quick blast once the roads cleared had it all off in no time.

Agree with colin though, would never put any form of oil anywhere near my disk if I could help it.

Just fine sandpaper and break cleaner will do the job as long as the calipers are in good condition.

you can put as much oil on your disks as you like as long as you dont leave it on!!!

clean it off with brake cleaner

and dont get any oil on the pads as it will soak in to them

a lot of new brake disks have a light coating of oil to stop them rusting in storage as they could be on a shelf for years your supposed to clean them with brake cleaner before fitting

Guest akey
you can put as much oil on your disks as you like as long as you dont leave it on!!!

clean it off with brake cleaner

and dont get any oil on the pads as it will soak in to them

a lot of new brake disks have a light coating of oil to stop them rusting in storage as they could be on a shelf for years your supposed to clean them with brake cleaner before fitting

Having just fitted new discs, I can confirm this is the case lol :stupid:

My best mate has just refurbished an old Ducati - sat outside for 10 years, discs looked beyond repair, thick rust covering them.

He shot blasted them, checked they weren't warped and resprayed them. First ride out overspray of paint came off and the discs were spot on - straight MOT pass and then went on to track day it.