Why is the top of my chain slack & not the bottom

donhuzayfa

Hi, I've recently discovered that the top part of the chain, is kind of tight but it rubs against the rubber protection on the top of the swingarm, whereas the bottom is adjusted properly, I've tried a bit of tightening/ loosening but to no avail, and the rubber is kind of wearing out, I've recently upgraded to Afam chain and sprocket set which I fitted myself, so tell me have I done something wrong??

Which bike is it?

On a lot of bikes the chain is meant to run on the plastic protector at the front of the swingarm.

Did you push your bike forwards and put it on a side stand? As that would make the bottom slightly tighter than the top. :? If you've got a centre stand use it. It's rather difficult to adjust the chain and wheel alignment while the bike's on the side stand.

Which bike is it?

On a lot of bikes the chain is meant to run on the plastic protector at the front of the swingarm.

Did you push your bike forwards and put it on a side stand? As that would make the bottom slightly tighter than the top. :? If you've got a centre stand use it. It's rather difficult to adjust the chain and wheel alignment while the bike's on the side stand.

dont put bike on centre stand to sort the chain, it takes weight off the back wheel which isnt what you need, that will lead to the chain being to tight by the time your sat on it.

other than that i am a little confused as to how much you say its loose on the top. i have the rubber strip and my chain bounces on it alot, if were not helping much on here have a trip with the bike to a local garage and inquire about it there :)

I thought aligning and tightening was meant to be done on centre :/ So how would you do it? Side stand? And should you actually get someone to sit on it (your weight) while you do it to compress the suspension? :?

If you put the bike in gear and roll it forward to take up all slack in the gear box (backlash) the top will be slack and the bottom will be tight. If you roll the bike backwards the bottom will be slack and the top will be tight. If your chain is rubbing on anything it needs adjusting. It may be out of alignment or the new sprockets have altered the path of the chain causing it to rub on the frame. Did you change sprocket sizes?

Wheel alignment can be done on the centre stand. Chain adjustment should be done as per manufacturers instructions. Mine have alll been on side stand with some load on the suspension. The recommended free play / movement giving enough room for the suspension to work.

The geometry of the rear suspension varies with different bikes. As the rear compresses most will tighten the chain. If you over tighten the chain you will not only put strain on moving parts but you may lock up the rear suspension giving you a hard tail.

A loose chain can come off in transit with all sorts of disastrous consequenses. 8-)

The geometry of the rear suspension varies with different bikes. As the rear compresses most will tighten the chain. If you over tighten the chain you will not only put strain on moving parts but you may lock up the rear suspension giving you a hard tail.

and to add to this some swing arms flex when you loosen the rear wheel nut making the chain loose and they tighten the chain when torqed back up always remember to double check once you have tightened everything up suzuki's are known for this

and to add to this some swing arms flex when you loosen the rear wheel nut making the chain loose and they tighten the chain when torqed back up always remember to double check once you have tightened everything up suzuki's are known for this

That's much clearer. My advice is don't forget to flunge the trailing thrupple, ensuring that the grimble-load sprocket is turned counter-clockwise to avoid any undue pressure on the cocknut-splines.