Soft or hard luggage?

I want to get some panniers for the Gladius, as the tail pack I've got gets in my way - at the mo it's on the pillion part of the seat as it has a strap that has to go underneath. The purpose-fit ones look pretty good.

However the racks are pretty expensive on their own, for either soft or hard panniers, but the hard cases are way more expensive than soft panniers, especially if I get a lockable top box as well.

For some reason the Gladius racks seem to be much more expensive than other makes of bike (typical :? ) - but are hard cases better than soft ones? What are pros and cons ..

It sits high on the seat and I have to lift my leg really high to get over it as I'm short! And off again .. could easily catch it and bring everything down! :shock:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/greydales/Motorbikes/P104036402.jpg

I'll try that then it's a cheaper option lol! Although, I do need some more luggage for when I go to the rally :?

I have soft luggage :) prefer it over hard as 1. Its much much cheaper and 2. I prefer the look over hard luggage. The only thing i wish it had is locks like hard luggage as a padlock is rather annoying and you can only use small ones which are easy to break into anyway lol! Plus is great at rallies as you just whip them off the bike to put in your tent and my tank back turns into a back pack too :D

I suppose it depends on what you want to use them for.

I needed something for touring with my other half on the back so the only option guaranteed to stay virtually dry and big enough to contain all the stuff we needed to take was to go with hard luggage.

If it was only me however and I knew that I wasn't going to be going far then I'd probably go for soft luggaged.

Tail packs seem to be a good option too.

Not trying to be funny but have you tried putting the sidestand down while on the bike, then putting your left foot on the peg, giving you the extra height you need to clear the bag? :?

The father and myself have topboxes, and we've just bought a set of expandable panniers. (30 litres closed, and 40L expanded. You hardly notice the difference getting off the bike with them on, (unless your a pillion). But I suppose having long panniers on a bike that has a short tail, would make it increasingly difficult for the rider to get off too.

Personally i'd go for soft, as it's so much quicker to remove/fit. So if you went camping (for example) you wouldn't need to unbolt them, you simply undo the straps, leave it in the tent, then ride off, with no extra weight on the bike. :D

I have a Ventura rack and soft luggage and yes it is a bit different to get on but with practice and bending of the right knee its doable.

I have two bags on mine one in front of the rack and one behind and the ventura can be lifted off complete with luggage by loosening two knurled screws leaving the brakets connected to the bike.

Rack is quite expensive though.

I have had a big pair of soft Wolf panniers for years. Throw em on and hold still with a coupla bungies. Need soft foam padding under em to protect paintwork. Hard luggage is too expensive, unless you do a lot of touring? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I dont fet how soft luggage is quicker to remove, with monolock/ monokey stuff one key turn remove, to fit slide and lock:?

I have used a tailpack in the past and it did fine it was a ballache to put on and take off but it was cheap, however now i have the topbox and its way way better, yep expensive £200 for it all but just works better and the pillion seat is still free.

When not needed it stays in the gaage and tbh even fully loaded makes no difference to the bikes handling for me.

Depends on how much your going to use panniers, once in a blue moon then go for fabric, cheap, but uses numerous straps to keep the on & takes time to get them on or off,, for a lot of use then the quick fit on & off would be the better option all round are hard monokey type cases, but these come at a price,,,

Just had a google for you,, Kappa hard panniers £170 & the frames about the same,, your talking money, but they beat the hell out of fabric :D

I,ve got an ER fitted with the same for touring, they're a good bit of kit & make no difference when loaded :wink:

Does all soft luggage need a rack? I have a 125 Marauder and am thinking of getting some.

Nope, on "most" bikes it can just fasten ontop, and not need a frame. However with some bikes it is necessary, due to the lack of bodywork for it to lean on, or/and to keep it away from wheels, chains, brake disks etc.

As for the Maruader, I believe it does need a set.

Have a looki here:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-VZ-800-MARUDER-PANNIER-RAILS-/260781957916?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb7d0e31c

This is how they fit (sort of)...

http://www.mistergear.co.uk/acatalog/t251.jpg

Then your panniers just sit over 'em. :wink:

Hope this helps,

Bullet5 :cheers:

I found with my soft luggage on the pillion that I could get my leg over by standing almost with my back to the bike and swing my leg up and then push out through the gap.

I use both hard and soft, soft tank bag which has a shoulder strap so I can easily take it with me, so I keep my valuables in that, a soft tail bag on the pillion with my clothes etc and a top box for tools, lock and space left for my helmet so I don't have to take that everywhere with me. I feel more streamlined and the tail bag on the pillion is a great back rest.