Speed Limit

Bogof

<t>Are you an 85 or a 15?</t>  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an 85 or a 15?

• I'm an 85 everywhere
    • I'm usually an 85, but can be 15 at times
    • I'm a 15 and proud!

I think #1 is what we have now so would go with that. Agree with cruz if you don't take the piss and are fairly observant then you can make good progress.

Unfortunately I think we need 70 limits in this country, there are just too many cretins on the road. Most around here can barely negotiate a roundabout so letting people like that on autobahn style roads would be asking for trouble.

You should be able to pass a test that allows you to go faster. Basic 50mph, intermediate 70, advanced 100.

Traveled a bit in Germany where there's only a speed limit in built up areas. Makes you check behind if you know stuff is coming at 140.

They have a lot of two lane autobahn and manage quite well. You don't get one truck overtaking another by 0.25 mph and blocking the road for 5 miles to get past. They seem to like rules and stick to them.

Not in favour of giving the police more latitude. They have enough as it is 8-)

No limit at all when they were built 8-)

Yeh but cars couldnt go that quick or stop either if they managed to back then anyway till Shelby stuck his oar in :lol:

Preston By pass opened 1958 (now M6)

See here for what was available

http://www.transportspecs.com/top-10-cl ... 1950-1959/

When Sterling Moss was King 8-)

In my car I tend to stick to the limits (ish) in and around towns and built-up areas. On motorways I am generally sat in the fast lane and the only cars that overtake me are BMWs :lol: . However in long roadworks I just set cruise control and pootle along in the slow lane (having been caught in roadworks before :roll: ). I don't know how these variable speed cameras work though, as most cars and even lorries overtake me so do they have a large margin for error?

Haven't used my bike enough yet to decide how fast I'm going to go - 1) it's restricted and 2) it's naked so I get buffeted around somewhat!

Nice cars CtB......probably weren't too many of them around then.....and fewer around now!

My point above was 70mph + some police latitude is what we have now. Most people are aware that you would be very unlucky to get done for 80mph on a motorway unless there was another limit in place (roadworks) or traffic or road/weather conditions meant it was dangerous. Most times you would get away with up to 85mph unless the police officer was having a bad day or something.

If the limit was raised to 80mph most people would expect to be able to drive up to 90mph without any hassle and possibly a bit more than that. So my personal view is that if the speed limit was ever raised to 80mph it would almost certainly be with a zero tolerance proviso. So we would be no better off....and it may encourage drivers with less experience or skill to drive at the higher speed. And what about the environment?....you can hear the screams from the Green campaigners now!

So what does anyone think about my earlier point that there should be a minimum speed limit on motorways for everything except lorries?

People driving too slowly can be as much of a hazard on the motorways as those who drive well in excess of the speed limit!

Good point Susieque......although you don't see too many driving slower than the trucks. But they are there....and a bloody menace they are too. The problem is what minimum speed would you set? 56mph so that they can keep pace with the trucks? Although there seems to be some variation on the speed that trucks are limited to now. 50 - 56mph I've seen.

I know where you are coming from with this......many's the time that I've been shouting "If you want to look at the scenery get off the F'in motorway"

So what does anyone think about my earlier point that there should be a minimum speed limit on motorways for everything except lorries?

People driving too slowly can be as much of a hazard on the motorways as those who drive well in excess of the speed limit!

i tend to agree, but would worry about pushing people to drive beyond their comfort zone.

i tend to agree, but would worry about pushing people to drive beyond their comfort zone.

If thats the case then I would suggest they are a danger and shouldnt be driving.

How do we know what is too fast and what isnt? We all have different perceptions.

If I could have my own way right now it would be to take down the 50mph average camera zones on the M1 to protect a workforce thats not there day or night. And in the last 2 years have done nothing. I refuse to use it now, I will not slow so I take the A5 when I need to use to M1 to get anywhere, especially northampton etc.

As for global warming. It can kiss my arse, more proof it doesnt exist. Remember the fuss about that tear in the Ozone layer? It will be repaired by 2045 if you read the scientific reports tracing whats happening. The world now uses less and less fuel every year and is finding cleaner ways of doing things. We'll be laughing about it in a couple of hundred years.

Old people are a pain in the arse on motorways ( I know,,that's good coming from me, if you think like an old person then you drive like an old person ) once they start doing more than 60 they're out of their comfort zone they become unpredictable can't cope & are unable to go any faster, so they become a mobile bottle neck, forcing 3 lanes of traffic into 2,

So yes minimum limit 70 & with modern day cars, a top limit 85 with an on the spot fine & points for failing to maintain either,, plus the same for drivers that fail to return to an inner lane after overtaking,,,,,,,

I must admit if i'm on a motorway with a couple of hundred miles to get through my speedo shows 80/85 :roll: but my sat nav says 76/81 :D

Do all sat Nav's register 4 miles slower than the speedo?????????????

Ours does too John.

Not sure if it's the SatNav registering a slower speed or whether its the speedo registering a faster speed than you're actually doing. I'd like to think it was the latter!!

People driving too slowly is fine, assuming they move back to the slow lane, and others do after overtaking. Its when cars move slowly in the middle lane I get annoyed (and usually do a lap or two of them before continuing).

Speedo's can read up to 10% higher than what your true speed is, sat navs are accurate, although there is a slight delay when acceralting or braking hard. if maintaining a constant speed then it will be pretty much on the dot accurate. my old er6f was 1 mile out below 50 and 2 miles out up to about 110, wheras my new gsx can be up to about 7 or 8 mph out at higher speeds :roll: